Biking with your bully

Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
Margot-A-Go-Go
Newborn Bully

Re: Biking with your bully

Postby Margot-A-Go-Go » Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:07 pm

I was doing some online shopping for some bicycle leash devices when I decided to see what the people on the forum had to say about biking with your dog. I found Red's post to be very informative. I was considering the Walky Dog, but I think I like the idea of Margot being attached to me rather than the bike. I have a road bike, so I'm a little apprehensive about the pulling thing since I will have a little less room for error than with a mountain bike. Margot does so well with her Halti on with very minimal if any pulling, even if I don't have a leash attached to it she is SO much more well behaved. I was thinking of attaching a leash around me connected to her harness and then have the "traffic" leash in my hand connected to her halti. Has anyone tried this? Is there any reason to think this may be unsafe?

synno2004
Newborn Bully

Postby synno2004 » Sun May 01, 2011 4:43 am

Margot-A-Go-Go wrote:I was doing some online shopping for some bicycle leash devices when I decided to see what the people on the forum had to say about biking with your dog. I found Red's post to be very informative. I was considering the Walky Dog, but I think I like the idea of Margot being attached to me rather than the bike. I have a road bike, so I'm a little apprehensive about the pulling thing since I will have a little less room for error than with a mountain bike. Margot does so well with her Halti on with very minimal if any pulling, even if I don't have a leash attached to it she is SO much more well behaved. I was thinking of attaching a leash around me connected to her harness and then have the "traffic" leash in my hand connected to her halti. Has anyone tried this? Is there any reason to think this may be unsafe?

don't try it with road bike, it will be extremely bad for your back, best bikes models that work from my own personal experience are The Gary Fisher bikes (DISC BRAKES IDEALLY) because of the way the bikes are built (geometrically) you are almost at a upright seating position or beach cruiser.

MarMar
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby MarMar » Sun May 01, 2011 9:01 pm

My APBT mix is scared of the bike (he's a delicate flower lol) but I often (well used to but am getting back into it) bike with my husky GSD mix. I have used the harness/halti combo or a Springer/Halti combo. Like Red I don't trust the Springer on its own to hold her (she has very intense prey drive and DA). I also attach the leash to myself because I do not in any circumstance want her to get loose. The harness is for securing her, the Halti just so I have a bit more control over her head.

Margot-A-Go-Go
Newborn Bully

Postby Margot-A-Go-Go » Wed May 04, 2011 4:24 pm

I tried a LOT of messing around with different leash/harness/contraption combinations. I found the best one for me and my dog is simply just a harness on the dog and a leash held in my hand, making sure the loop is not around my wrist. It's just way more comfortable knowing I can just let go of the leash if I need to, to avoid injury to me or my dog incase of pulling or distractions. There were a couple of loose dogs around the neighborhood we biked through today. Margot did try to turn to approach the dogs, but I was able to jerk the leash a little with one hand and redirect her attention to the ride. She's been a great riding partner so far!

Margot-A-Go-Go
Newborn Bully

Postby Margot-A-Go-Go » Wed May 04, 2011 4:31 pm

synno2004 wrote:
Margot-A-Go-Go wrote:I was doing some online shopping for some bicycle leash devices when I decided to see what the people on the forum had to say about biking with your dog. I found Red's post to be very informative. I was considering the Walky Dog, but I think I like the idea of Margot being attached to me rather than the bike. I have a road bike, so I'm a little apprehensive about the pulling thing since I will have a little less room for error than with a mountain bike. Margot does so well with her Halti on with very minimal if any pulling, even if I don't have a leash attached to it she is SO much more well behaved. I was thinking of attaching a leash around me connected to her harness and then have the "traffic" leash in my hand connected to her halti. Has anyone tried this? Is there any reason to think this may be unsafe?

don't try it with road bike, it will be extremely bad for your back, best bikes models that work from my own personal experience are The Gary Fisher bikes (DISC BRAKES IDEALLY) because of the way the bikes are built (geometrically) you are almost at a upright seating position or beach cruiser.

Awesome videos! I did end up deciding to keep it simple with the biking as you have, with just a leash and collar or harness. I have been able to use my road bike just fine so far actually, even though it is a single speed, front brake only. (don't worry I'm cautious) I may end up purchasing a mountain bike down the road, but its just not in the budget atm.

Red
Addicted to PBF

Postby Red » Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:47 am

acherrera wrote:Val you are going to have teach me this one in person.. so G can lose his J-lo booty 8)

Of course. G, aka J-Lo, needs to slim out for the summer :)

laceybaby
Newborn Bully

Postby laceybaby » Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:18 am

I'm very excited to give biking a try with Lacey! My cousin has recently started biking with her collie mix and using one of the WalkyDog bike attachments for it...on Friday I am going to her house and Lacey is gonna give it a go. :) If all goes well, I will certainly get one for myself!

laceybaby
Newborn Bully

Postby laceybaby » Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:55 pm

laceybaby wrote:I'm very excited to give biking a try with Lacey! My cousin has recently started biking with her collie mix and using one of the WalkyDog bike attachments for it...on Friday I am going to her house and Lacey is gonna give it a go. :) If all goes well, I will certainly get one for myself!

BTW, tried a short bike ride with Lacey today and she loved it :)

Curly_07

Postby Curly_07 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:35 pm

Roscoe My Man wrote:Question for those of you with multiple dogs..........

Should I train them one at a time for biking with me or train both at the same time?

I would advise one on one. Mostly for yours and their safety. Once they get the hang of it, then start working them in together. Red can probably give you better advice on how to do this. I'm not brave enough to try 2 at a time! lol

NYPDiddy
Newborn Bully

Postby NYPDiddy » Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:40 pm

thanks great topic :goodpost:

Megan
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Megan » Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:02 am

Add us to the mix of trying the bike riding thing. I just purchased a bike on friday, and haven't ridden since I was in middle school (ok, only about 10 years ago....but still!). Went out the first day alone, saw that I can still ride a bike so started Gavin yesterday. Went a short distance, and he did well..so today we did a mile and he did very well. He didn't seem too distracted by the birds/bunnies running so that was great. As I build up tolerance, we'll go out for longer periods of time.

I opted to just hook his leash to the frame of the bike, and hold the excess in my hand to keep him at a comfortable distance. As he gets used to it i'll most likely unattach him to the bike and just hold the leash though. When I first walked him while pushing the bike he thought the bike wanted to eat him..but quickly learned it's fun!

I did find that he does better on the left side. He won't try to cross in front or behind me while on the left. When I tried him on the right so we would be on the side away from traffic, he kept trying to cross to the left...It could be because that is his heel position and he knows he is to walk on our left. Thankfully where we live our road is not too busy so we only hit a few cars here and there of the "locals" driving down the road.

Sergey Grit
Newborn Bully

Postby Sergey Grit » Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:34 am

Great looks, good picture. These exercises are very useful, but there are disadvantages. Not everyone can afford such training. If on the road a strong stream of cars, it is dangerous. Or training in areas where rocks can damage the dog paws, paw tuck, etc. If there is a possibility of such an exercise, it is excellent, and for human and a dog.

With best wishes to you,
Sergei Grit

p.s. treadmill for dogs, more secure, and very helpful.

Enamorada
Super Bully

Postby Enamorada » Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:48 pm

So after many months of talking about getting a walkydog or similar bike attachment and after a wonderful, long and successful bike ride with Faye this morning, we went online and purchased two 1-running-dog bike tow leashes from the website below.

http://www.thedogoutdoors.com/dog-bike-leash.html

Photos will follow soon. We're so excited to start exercising the dogs on our bikes :headbang:

suzanne
Adolescent Bully

Postby suzanne » Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:12 pm

Well, I got the springer back in mid January. I purchased a bike shortly after, the springer did not fit the bike so I had to wait for the special adapter to arrive. The adapter finally came, but week that it came I sprained my ankle very badly. Finally, TODAY I decided to try riding my new bike [that I haven't even been on!] with the dogs. We did not glue the springer in at this point but I will probably either glue it or put a grippy on it because it does move a little.

First, I rode with Seth who is about 55lbs, he is long and leggy - not stout or heavy. Because the springer came with some stupid plastic pieces I took a nylon slip lead, attached it to one of the plastic hooks, hooked the hook onto the springer, then I tied the slip lead to the other hook that I hook on my dog. With Seth he comes up right next to my tire so when he's pulling me his head comes out further than my tire. I don't know how I feel about that, I do Obedience and Rally with him but I worry a stray squirrel might tempt him and we'll all go flying. SO I decided to attach a leash to his flat collar just in case. I could hardly feel him pull on the bike the few times he pulled sideways or forward.

Secondly I rode with LiLo who is 42lbs. LiLo is short and has a very high prey drive because she's successfully killed a few squirrels. With the springer she runs about even with my front tire, I also had a leash on her flat collar as well - just in case. I could not feel her pulling at all and even when she tried lunging for a squirrel is was not a problem.

And Thirdly, I took Seppel who is a 60lb Pit Bull. With Seppel he is still learning how to "listen" so I put his prong collar on him with a leash as a just incase. With the springer like Seth he came even with my tire, but pulling came up with his head past my tire. Whenever he pulled I could definitely feel it but did not feel like he would pull the bike out from under me.

Overall I like the springer, I was able to ride some of the time with both hands on the handlebars. It does make me feel better because when they are pulling they are pulling on my bike - instead of on me. I will always have a leash attached to their collar just on the off chance something fails with the attachment. I do think if you are going to ride with ANY kind of bike attachment your dog needs to have some kind of general training because it will make for a safer ride. This also isn't something that you can put on your bike and forget your dog is with you - you still need to pay attention to what is going on.

Bodegus
Newborn Bully

Postby Bodegus » Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:46 pm

I am curious if people are biking at a trot or run speed. Thoughts?

Return to “Training and Behavior”