Meatball....yes Meatball SW Michigan

Why buy from a breeder when there are plenty of homeless pups in shelters???

Re: Meatball....yes Meatball SW Michigan

Postby Red » Sun Oct 30, 2011 8:00 pm

I am not saying that you failed him, Stacie, and I don't know who is doing the screening and follow up, hence the question.I am just wondering if the screening process and continuing monitoring from the group can be modified so that situation like this don't happen again. For example, for the whole year after the baby came, did anyone stop by the house and look at the dog's condition? One reason I generally place dogs in CA is that I want to be able to go look at what is going on, because situations like what Meatball faced do happen. I only placed one dog out of State with a friend I trust so far, even though I had reservations (not about the person who took him, just because of my policy). I also tend to place to homes without other dogs because, well, you see what happens unless the adopters are truly dedicated to keep everyone safe. It can be a case by case thing, depending on who the adopter is.Some people make all kinds of promises but at the end they break these promises, and don't understand that they are just another failure in a dog's life. it is like a flipping game to them, although they come up with a bunch of excuses.

I know very well that people lie, and I had decided to stop fostering for that reason. Sneaky came here because she was living in a crate 24 hours a day and pregnant at 6/7 months old and, once again, I recently adopted her myself because no decent home wanted her (she is also not even close to be as easy as Meatball, by how you describe him). Zoey, the dog that people on this forum here helped, also came here because there were no other option other than euthanasia.Not a soul has showed interest and she is a nice little dog. Bottom line, I have been scared of fostering for a while, because I do want to be able to sleep at nigh after I place a dog. I also understand what you are saying about people not helping even when you pay all expenses. We get stuck with these dogs easily, and unfortunately it comes with the territory.

I wish I could take that boy and give him a forever home, truly.

dogs4jen wrote:....and several of the applicants I got thought they knew everything already and wouldn't listen about the two week shutdown, so maybe it's a common problem.

It is, and once they lie enough to adopt the dog they do whatever the want because the dog is theirs. My contract is rough on that, and I am sure that discourage many people from adopting from me, but it is made clear that there are legal consequences if what they sign for is not followed through (and I am not talking about what food to feed but more serious things). I always wonder about groups who have a big turn around of dogs of this breed being adopted, because it is not easy at all to find a trustworthy home.
Red
Addicted to PBF

Postby luvnstuff » Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:27 am

I think post three years of adopting , a constant checking would be excessive. I try to do check ins just to keep the doors open in case problems do arise.
We cant run after every adopted home post their every move or change, it would damn the dogs waiting for homes and we would start euthanizing even more adoptable dogs. My dogs, are tagged if EVER they arrive back at the shelter they are to come back to ME. no matter. But that is a personal tag for MY dogs.
I think as we really are THE County Pound, our return rate on bullies is damn good, sure it happens.
Usually quickly in the trial period, and our reputation about homing them-our record or lack of records of dog bites or injuries is WHY the county took the "KILL ALL BULLY LOOKING DOGS "( from puppies to the elderly dogs) . Literally it was law..kill em all. . Our group is not perfect, and its on a learning cure for sure . but again, we really can not be chasing down every bully looking dog years post adoption and harassing people when their lives change. It would tarnish our reputation even more, for you know we battle the applications and the people who don't want to be asked questions as we are nosing in where they feel we don't belong..we all have read it here about how ridiculous adopting a dog is . The home checks, referance checks, and home visits.... I find that laughable, for its we who take the poo when it hits the fan when it goes wrong. Its our fault when we don't see something and yet we are nosy asshats for checking in as much as we do. its a no win. I guess keeping the door open has been my fix on that, open to questions, training , problem solving no matter how long the dog has been adopted. I did not foresee Meatball coming back, even post many communications and seeing the dog.
(pre fat time.. I was shocked I admit at the state of him when he showed up post the last time I saw him, she was about or 6 months pregnant.)

Even IF, I drove to the house post the baby, checked with the vet, all I LEGALLY could of done was suggest for the dog to loose weight, they had the dog at the vet ALOT.. crazy alot. And you can track the weight gain, the bad skin, possibly even the dog fight in the end (due to med side effects for so called leaking urine that I have NEVER seen.. N E V E R )...by the VETINARY RECORDS. Reading them I could only wonder what the heck this vet was doing , other than making alot of money in prescription dog food and scripts. really wtf. seriously WTF.
Abused by over cared, over fed, and in the end probably ignored ... kind of like locking a healthy marathon runner in a McDonalds for 5 months and wondering why they went crazy.
People on my social sites are mad the surgeon and I decided to do the ACL when he wasn't fully at a good weight, but his leg was brown and cold and was hanging like a broken wing. I couldn't walk him, that was cruel..so we did what we could and also with the hopes that a home would come along and he could be in a better situation for recovering, as it was my busy house or the county pound (not an option imho).
I could not adopt out a dog that NEEDED a surgery..but I could adopt out a dog on the way to recovery. Once over the major hump of vet checks and surgical updates, when the vet gave the clear he was back for adoption..in hopes of that forever home....
Our groups is forever changing and morphing. Reviewing and re doing ideas without shooting ourselves in the foot and getting a black tag of "impossible to get a dog from" type of facility. I think people forget we are not a rescue group, we ARE the county pound.
I think with small rescues you can be a bit more choosy as you pick and choose dogs to take in, fosters can do that sure, but we don't have a luxury of a small group of dogs, its all the dogs, every single loose , surrendered, abused, dumped, etc etc dog that comes in we can not choose who comes in. And believe me Michigan like many states is in a serious state of horrible right now. Just peek across the state in Detroit/Flint areas of the thousands of loose dogs ..its so sad..we have our share too, and way way too high of bully numbers.

Ya.. no matter. I take all my dogs personally, their successes and their failures. And with that said, I really want to see this awesome dog find a good FOREVER home. Out of some of the dogs I have had, this is by far one of the silliest and goofiest, and the most suprising to find back in the "system". The next home won t fail. This is MY LAST foster dog.. as Virgil is staying, Woody is still under care with me until whenever. And Scooter is staying at my step sons. I retired post Virgil and Woody finding a home, well that isnt happening either...and to no fault of Virgil's. (woody we all know
is just my little basket case of a dog now).

Wow..that was lengthy.. I do take it personal..but I would be kinda schumck if I didnt :brow: . No offense to you Red and questioning, they are legit q...and sorry for the lenghty response............

Now back to finding this guy a home :0 (
luvnstuff
Addicted to PBF

Postby julie64 » Wed Dec 28, 2011 6:53 am

This needs updating.
julie64
Addicted to PBF

Postby BabyReba » Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:44 am

waiting patiently to hear the update! :yipee:
BabyReba
Regulator

Postby star_frances » Wed Dec 28, 2011 2:30 pm

I heard the update on FB, and it is JOYOUS! :inlove: :inlove: :inlove:
star_frances
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Ilovethepits » Wed Dec 28, 2011 2:43 pm

:nana: :yipee: :peace:
Ilovethepits
Addicted to PBF

Postby ilovetyson » Wed Dec 28, 2011 2:56 pm

Oooo What am I Missing! AHHHHHHH Post here! I Wanna know I wanna know!
ilovetyson
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby HappyPuppy » Wed Dec 28, 2011 4:21 pm

Facebook sucks because the rest of the world misses out.... please do update here! It sounds like something good has happened...I think!
HappyPuppy
Addicted to PBF

Postby Zagari » Wed Dec 28, 2011 4:52 pm

:) I'm very happy for everyone and I think we need pictures. Of course, after the news is posted to PBF.
Zagari
Addicted to PBF

Postby julie64 » Wed Dec 28, 2011 5:11 pm

On sat I will be picking up Meaty to bring him home. It will be a trial adoption, but I have never given up on a dog, whatever quirks they may have. After some down time I think he will be a good fit with Lilly and Sassy. Even though this is a trial I can honestly say, Welcome to your forever home Meaty. :)
julie64
Addicted to PBF

Postby luvnstuff » Wed Dec 28, 2011 5:12 pm

ITS TRUE :yipee: I couldnt be happier... that , yes our boy..... the Meatball
IS OFFICALLY starting his trial period with someone many of us know !
"come on tell us tell us who who who" says Meatball

drum roll....
Julie64 !
"WOW ! ya mean I have a HOME? "

Woody in the background saying " you mean he's leaving? but we're friends "

Virgil is happy , he wasnt too thrilled to share his best bud Woody with Meatball....
(actually Virgil is quite rude to Meatball..this picture made possible by BISQUITS..l o l !! )

* disclaimer... and opt to not jinx. Julie is very committed to making Meatballs home the absolute best and hates my disclaimers.., but I have to say its still a trial, but we really do have high hopes. And if anything we can really see now if Meatball turns into some kind of butt head in adoptive homes (more his first home) or if he really is just the great dog I think and believe him to be! *
"WHA! I am NOT A BUTT HEAD!" says the Meaty..
luvnstuff
Addicted to PBF

Postby Odnarb » Wed Dec 28, 2011 6:06 pm

julie64 wrote:On sat I will be picking up Meaty to bring him home. It will be a trial adoption, but I have never given up on a dog, whatever quirks they may have. After some down time I think he will be a good fit with Lilly and Sassy. Even though this is a trial I can honestly say, Welcome to your forever home Meaty. :)

This makes me so happy!

Sent from my rooted Nook Tablet using Tapatalk
Odnarb
Regulator

Postby Enigma » Wed Dec 28, 2011 6:15 pm

Yay Julie i'm so happy for you!! And for Meatball ofcourse!! :D
Enigma
Forum Junky

Postby GoingPostal » Wed Dec 28, 2011 7:12 pm

Best news of 2011! I'm so happy for Meatball and Julie. :thumbsup:
GoingPostal
Forum Junky

Postby bullheaded » Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:30 pm

After what seems like a record breaking crappy year for dogs on the PBF, this is better news then I could have ever dreamed of. Congrats Julie and Meatball. :nana: :nana: :shakeit: :shakeit:
bullheaded
Matured Bully

PreviousNext

Return to Rescue Resources & Adoptable Dogs