How long on Puppy food?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

How long on Puppy food?

Postby BlockyDog » Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:50 pm

Hey guys its been so long since I have had a puppy in the house he is now 3 months old. He is not interested in his food anymore is this a sign I should move to adult food or just change the flavor / protein?
BlockyDog
Newborn Bully

Re: How long on Puppy food?

Postby Curly_07 » Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:24 pm

What are you currently feeding? You can always do raw for any age of dog, you could change the main ingredients to see if he is bored on what you are feeding him with a different line, or maybe the food you are feeding isn't that good/or you're feeding too much?

Anyways, dogs on kibble usually switch off puppy food around 10 months-1 yr of age.
Curly_07
Regulator

Postby BlockyDog » Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:37 pm

Curly_07 wrote:What are you currently feeding? You can always do raw for any age of dog, you could change the main ingredients to see if he is bored on what you are feeding him with a different line, or maybe the food you are feeding isn't that good/or you're feeding too much?

Anyways, dogs on kibble usually switch off puppy food around 10 months-1 yr of age.

Thanks for the reply. I know all about BARF but unfortunately at this juncture I don't have the means to maintain that kind of diet. I know its best for him I did it with Cotto and Jazz the 2 in my profile pic, but too change him now would only be explosive if you know what i mean and with a 4 month old exploding on a regular bassis ;) I don't have the luxury to keep an eye on him during the day. It is my plan later down the line.

To answer your question he is currently eating Earthborn puppy formula. Organic, holistic. Which from what I hear is a pretty good kibble.
BlockyDog
Newborn Bully

Postby starrlamia » Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:20 pm

personally i would keep him on puppy food until 8-12 months, 3 months he needs the extra nutrients and calories in the food. You could try changing the flavour you are using, my bully is super picky about food, but ive learned what he does and does not like through trial and error. Personally I really like the Fromm Gold puppy formula and acana.
starrlamia
Addicted to PBF

Postby BlockyDog » Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:13 pm

starrlamia wrote:personally i would keep him on puppy food until 8-12 months, 3 months he needs the extra nutrients and calories in the food. You could try changing the flavour you are using, my bully is super picky about food, but ive learned what he does and does not like through trial and error. Personally I really like the Fromm Gold puppy formula and acana.

THanks for the reply. I just went out and got a small bag of Merrik Wilderness blend (Bisen) he devoured that. So I'll follow your advice and use trial and error to see what fits him best.

Thanks again.
BlockyDog
Newborn Bully

Postby Taotaomona » Thu Dec 29, 2011 7:38 am

^don't forget to slowly introduce the new feed to your pup... or you might be dealing with horrible poops and deadly gas. haha.
Taotaomona
Newborn Bully

Postby star_frances » Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:00 am

I switched Moira off puppy food at around 12 months, we went to a high quality all-life-stages food at that time.

Whatever you decide, transition slowly to the new food. A little canned pumpkin mixed in can't hurt, either.
star_frances
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Return to Health Issues