We've decided Molly is officially "foster girl Molly"

Why buy from a breeder when there are plenty of homeless pups in shelters???

We've decided Molly is officially "foster girl Molly"

Postby Heather9603 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:22 am

We brought Molly home almost two weeks ago, a friend of a friend had found her abandoned and alone. They couldn't keep her, so we took her in as a foster. We tossed around the idea of keeping her, but after much thought and consideration, we decided she should just stay a foster and we can help find her a forever home! She's an awesome dog, so sweet, but she's still just a pup and way too active for my older and slowing down min pins. Plus we are trying for kids soon and it just wouldn't be fair to Molly to get such a lack of attention so early on! So as much as we love her, we know there is someone out there who can give her more TIME, which is exactly what she needs!

I've contacted a couple of rescues to see if they can offer me any assistance. I don't mind her staying here while she looks for her forever home, but I don't have the first clue about home inspections or interviewing potential adopters! So I'm hoping a rescue can get me some help! I'm sure I'll end up just signing up for their foster program and hopefully she can be put on petfinder!

I really hate to see her go, but I knew from the get go we were never her right home. Just that little stepping stone she needed, so she wouldn't end up at the shelter!
Heather9603
Newborn Bully

Re: We've decided Molly is officially "foster girl Molly"

Postby tethys13 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:07 am

I wish you the best of luck finding her a new place =0)
tethys13
Newborn Bully

Postby Heather9603 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:16 am

I havn't heard anything back from any of the rescues I contacted. Giving it a few days. But I might end up needing some help with resources of my own to find her a good home!
Heather9603
Newborn Bully

Postby star_frances » Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:39 am

star_frances
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby buckaroo » Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:07 am

Heather9603 wrote:I havn't heard anything back from any of the rescues I contacted. Giving it a few days. But I might end up needing some help with resources of my own to find her a good home!

You probably won't. It's too much work to train a new volunteer who is coming in with their own dog and will very likely only foster that one dog. Been there, done that- despite most people insisting they want to continue to foster. It generally doesn't happen.

You have to realize that rescues always have a list of dogs in dire situations and they need new fosters to help with those dogs, not bring in dogs of their own. I know you view her as a foster but legally she is your dog and you would need to sign her over to a rescue so they would legally own her and not you. Foster dogs don't belong to the people who house them.

Start marketing her on your own. Make sure she is spayed, up to date on shots and microchipped. You can register her to you on the chip and have the new owners change it. Use Craigslist, hang up flyers, use facebook and other social media sites, tell everybody you know about her.

It might take you a long time. You might have her a year or more. If you're truly dedicated to her than you'll allow her whatever time she needs. Keep trying and you will find her a home but it takes a lot of work.
buckaroo
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Curly_07 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:57 am

What area are you in? My phone app doesn't display it. It is true that a rescue likely won't take her/you in for this one time foster...but some will. Almost all will atleast do a courtesy listing for you on their site. It advertises the dog for you, but you are responsible for everything-not the rescue. Maybe try emailing them again, asking for a courtesy listing rather than them taking her in?

I wish you luck and I hope she finds her forever home soon!

Sent from my HTC Inspire using Tapatalk
Curly_07
Regulator

Re: We've decided Molly is officially

Postby Heather9603 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:52 pm

Curly_07 wrote:What area are you in? My phone app doesn't display it. It is true that a rescue likely won't take her/you in for this one time foster...but some will. Almost all will atleast do a courtesy listing for you on their site. It advertises the dog for you, but you are responsible for everything-not the rescue. Maybe try emailing them again, asking for a courtesy listing rather than them taking her in?

I wish you luck and I hope she finds her forever home soon!

Sent from my HTC Inspire using Tapatalk

I am in Indiana. I heard from one rescue, but I didn't get the chance to return her call because I worked a 12 hour shift yesterday, and today I've just been running errands, catching up on sleep, etc.
Heather9603
Newborn Bully

Return to Rescue Resources & Adoptable Dogs