Lib's Lump

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Re: Lib's Lump

Postby Ilovethepits » Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:18 am

:yipee: YAY!! and :nana:
Ilovethepits
Addicted to PBF

Postby FBODGRL » Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:51 pm

Great news! :yipee:
FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby Amie » Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:51 pm

God forbid this dog just be normal. She's all healed up, has her stitches out and is allowed to play normally again. And Rob got the full pathology back at work today, and sent me this text:
Main finding says it could be canine leproid granuloma, usually found in boxer mixes in Australia, New Zealand, and Africa. Leave it to dork. Only that dog could get the New Zealand Dog Disease in America. Nothing to worry about, though, all gone.
Amie
Regulator

Postby dogs4jen » Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:26 pm

Only Liberty could get a pathology report that says "that dork." lol
So glad to hear it's nothing to worry about!
dogs4jen
Forum Junky

Postby HappyPuppy » Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:29 pm

How nice to have an answer!!!!!!!

You may have misread Africa? > http://books.google.com/books?id=VKa2Wo ... ma&f=false

This article says Australia, New Zealand and unites states - and also references the staffordshire terrier along with boxers and other short coated breeds... !?!
HappyPuppy
Addicted to PBF

Postby Amie » Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:38 pm

I didn't read it, that was from Rob, Liberty's personal vet tech (and my boyfriend). Don't know. I'll talk to him more.
Amie
Regulator

Postby Amie » Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:16 pm

Okay, more details:
Amended notes from earlier report show :
No fungal pathogens are revealed by the GMS stain. The Fite's stain reveals a low number of small acid fast bacilli within cytoplasm of a few microphages.

Microscopic findings : Nodular Lymphocytic Mildly Pyogranulomatous Dermatitis with Central Necrosis And Sparse Intrahistiocytic Acid Fast Bacilli

Amended comments from Pathologist : "Location of this lesion on the head warrants consideration of Canine Leproid Granuloma, a distinct syndrome in North American dogs in which the skin on the pinnae, lateral muzzle, and occasionally forelegs develops discrete intradermal, sometimes ulcerating granulomas. They typically contain acid-fast bacteria, but mycobacterial culture is negative. In previous reports of a similar syndrome in dogs in Africa, Australia and New Zealand, primarily Boxer and Boxer cross dogs and other short-coated breeds such as Staffordshire Terrier and Doberman Pinschers were affected. In the report on North American cases, German Shepherds were overrepresented. In most cases, lesions regress within a few weeks to months,with or without surgery and without anti-mycobacterial treatment. The causative agent is probably an environmental saprophyte introduced by percutaneous inoculation. Differentials include dermal lesions caused by tuberculous and other nontuberculous mycobacteria; these organisms are identified through culture and the lesions do not resolve spontaneously.

Seems like she will be fine, though she neglected to tell us that she was a German Shepherd or had visited Africa, New Zealand and Australia. I mean some souvenirs would have been nice right?

Rob
Amie
Regulator

Postby Peneloki » Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:40 am

Yay to no cancer!!!!! AND roflmao to her not telling you she was German Shepherd or such a worldly traveler!
Peneloki
Bully Ambassador

Previous

Return to Health Issues