I need help not a bashing

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

I need help not a bashing

Postby BlockyDog » Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:29 pm

I know there is a big debate over cropping and not cropping. Lets face it its personal choice, no different then getting your daughter ears pierced. With that being said i would appreciate from those of you who have experienced cropping some advise to aftercare.

I'm trying to find the best way to put bacitracian on them to ensure he doesn't get an infection and to keep it moist. yes he is on antibiotics, no he does not appear to be showing any signs of head shyness. However as it would and I know at the touch it is uncomfortable for him, for those of you who want me to say it yes it hurts him and I'm working at trying to keep him as comfortable as possible.

Any advice as to how i can apply topical ointment would be appreciated.

it's been 3 days.

he is eating fine, drinking, using the bathroom, ears are not hot to the touch, do not smell of infection all seems to be healing well, the ointment is my choice to ensure infection doesn't set in.

Thanks for any assistance.

For those of you who will bash me I understand your gripe and will not retaliate.
BlockyDog
Newborn Bully

Re: I need help not a bashing

Postby FBODGRL » Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:41 pm

I'm not entirely understanding the question. Is he not allowing you to put the ointment on?
FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:42 pm

Let them heal. Don't put anything on them or handle them if they're painful. That's why he's on oral antibiotics.

And it would actually be more in line with cutting off a part of your daughters ear cartilage. Not bashing, but merely pointing out the inaccuracy of your comparison.
AllisonPitbullLvr
Regulator

Postby PitBull-Lady » Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:47 pm

I'm confused... did your vet do it? If so you should be able to go to them to assist in aftercare. Even if they did not, they should be able to help.

I'm guessing that since you're wondering how to put the ointment on that they are still wrapped up? Normally when you get a procedure done you get instructions about how long to keep the bandages on. That sterile wrap does help, but it you're seeing ooze, then they should be changed.

I've never had this done, but since the would is 'raw' I would imagine that you would put the ointment directly on but you should also clean it with a chlorhexadrine solution first, let it dry and then put on ointment? . Also what about a Kong head donut to keep him from pawing at it.
PitBull-Lady
Addicted to PBF

Postby GoingPostal » Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:19 pm

[quote="FBODGRL"]I'm not entirely understanding the question. Is he not allowing you to put the ointment on?[/quotx2e]

x2. I've never really heard of people putting stuff on just cropped ears, let them heal on their own. Otherwise have someone hold him and feed him treats while you put it on.
GoingPostal
Forum Junky

Postby BlockyDog » Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:21 pm

FBODGRL wrote:I'm not entirely understanding the question. Is he not allowing you to put the ointment on?

Thanks for the reply. It's not that he's not allowing me per say more like i'm hesitant to force it on him. So i guess i'm looking for more tips - tricks in applying it with out causing him aditional discomfort.
BlockyDog
Newborn Bully

Postby BlockyDog » Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:23 pm

AllisonPibbleLvr wrote:Let them heal. Don't put anything on them or handle them if they're painful. That's why he's on oral antibiotics.

And it would actually be more in line with cutting off a part of your daughters ear cartilage. Not bashing, but merely pointing out the inaccuracy of your comparison.

I can see that point of view. In your opinion your saying I should just leave them be. The oral should be sufficient?
BlockyDog
Newborn Bully

Postby BlockyDog » Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:36 pm

PitBull-Lady wrote:I'm confused... did your vet do it? If so you should be able to go to them to assist in aftercare. Even if they did not, they should be able to help.

I'm guessing that since you're wondering how to put the ointment on that they are still wrapped up? Normally when you get a procedure done you get instructions about how long to keep the bandages on. That sterile wrap does help, but it you're seeing ooze, then they should be changed.

I've never had this done, but since the would is 'raw' I would imagine that you would put the ointment directly on but you should also clean it with a chlorhexadrine solution first, let it dry and then put on ointment? . Also what about a Kong head donut to keep him from pawing at it.

Thanks for the reply. Cropped ears don't get wrapped until after they are fully healed and only if its needed to keep the ears standing. as for the e - collar which i think you were speaking of (Elizabethan collar not Electric) he was more stressed with that on then with out he doesn't seem to be pawing or scratching at it.

The ointment is me being a little paranoid about him getting an infection.
BlockyDog
Newborn Bully

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:48 am

BlockyDog wrote:
AllisonPibbleLvr wrote:Let them heal. Don't put anything on them or handle them if they're painful. That's why he's on oral antibiotics.

I can see that point of view. In your opinion your saying I should just leave them be. The oral should be sufficient?

Exactly.
AllisonPitbullLvr
Regulator

Postby Sarah » Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:15 am

What she said. Leave them alone, the ointment is more likely to cause problems than to prevent them.
Sarah
Dabbling Dog Coddler

Postby BlockyDog » Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:37 pm

Thank you all for the advice, i will follow it and leave them be.

Thanks again
BlockyDog
Newborn Bully

Postby trexgorawrrrrr » Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:21 pm

Piercing a child's ears is not the same as cutting half of the child's ears off... Just thought I'd point that out.
trexgorawrrrrr
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby sindorei » Sat Jan 07, 2012 6:06 pm

I dont have a lot of input for your actual question, but I have to jump in on your logic for being pro cropping. Being so is perfectly okay, but piercing an ear on a child who can talk to you and make the call about wether she wants it or not, is very different than a 50% give or take amputation of an ear. A small hole for a jewelry item is not the same as removing some flesh all at once, including veins and nerves and whatever else is in there. Docking and cropping is no different than amputation, and we all know that amputees feel phantom pain in those areas even years after its been done. Just because dogs cant speak english and tell you their ear hurts with phantom nerve pain doesnt mean it doesnt happen. You can crop, I have no issue at all with that, but you need to be aware of exactly what is happening, physically and mentally, to your dog, and make an informed choice. Equating amputation to a single ear piercing is not informed, that is ignorant.
sindorei
Matured Bully

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:05 pm

:goodpost:
AllisonPitbullLvr
Regulator

Postby rachel » Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:12 am

All I did for Dallas when I had his ears done last spring was give him his meds and put a little Neosporin on his ears twice a day. I distracted him with a piece of hotdog in one hand so I could put the ointment on his ears with the other. He wore a cone for the first few days so that he wouldn't scratch his ears. After 10-14 days or so (I can't remember) I removed the stitches myself with no problem.

I did get some criticism from a few members here and I took it with no argument as you have done, OP. Everyone is entitled to their own beliefs and opinions on the matter.

Dallas pre-op:

Dallas post-op:

Dallas now:

rachel
Newborn Bully

Next

Return to Health Issues