I need help not a bashing

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Postby TahsSunny » Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:33 am

Gosh Dallas is looking good.

I personally like crops so when your pup heals up, I hope you can post some photo's.
TahsSunny
Addicted to PBF

Re: I need help not a bashing

Postby rachel » Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:29 pm

Thanks, he's really filling out and getting broad... He attracts a lot of attention and it makes me a little nervous sometimes that someone might steal him... Heck, I had a random stranger offer $1500 for him... 8l
rachel
Newborn Bully

Postby BlockyDog » Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:47 pm

sindorei wrote:I dont have a lot of input for your actual question, but I have to jump in on your logic for being pro cropping. Being so is perfectly okay, but piercing an ear on a child who can talk to you and make the call about wether she wants it or not, is very different than a 50% give or take amputation of an ear. A small hole for a jewelry item is not the same as removing some flesh all at once, including veins and nerves and whatever else is in there. Docking and cropping is no different than amputation, and we all know that amputees feel phantom pain in those areas even years after its been done. Just because dogs cant speak english and tell you their ear hurts with phantom nerve pain doesnt mean it doesnt happen. You can crop, I have no issue at all with that, but you need to be aware of exactly what is happening, physically and mentally, to your dog, and make an informed choice. Equating amputation to a single ear piercing is not informed, that is ignorant.

Im in no way retaliating so please everyone don't take it as such. However since everybody seems to be hung up on me saying piercing my daughters ears then let me add my 2 cents about it as well as make a more fitting example.

Most people who decide to get their daughters ears pierced do it at an early age, an age when most are in-capable of talking. So your argument in this particular response holds no water.

Now my better example when involving kids. Circumcision! their is absolutely no need for it but some parents choose their sons to have it performed. Same as cropping. The nerves you speak of are also effected in children who have had the circumcision done. Their is no benefit to the procedure it is purely vanity as selfish as it is in both procedures.

As for understanding what is entailed, believe me I know and am far from ignorant. I'm not the type of person that would jump into a hole with out looking into it first, asking how deep it is, can i get out, why would i jump into said hole. I researched it long before I even got the pup. Researched the vet who was to perform the crop, also the main reason for this post was to find out if there was anything (tips & tricks) I could do outside of what was instructed by the vet to ensure proper healing and ways to limit the discomfort.

So I hope this settles the debate over doing something to your pup and your child.

Just my point of view.

For everyone else Thanks for your response and I respect your views please respect mine.

PS. I followed the advice and left them be and he is doing great, he is not showing any signs of head shyness, and they are healing well. Thanks again for the advice.

Blocky
BlockyDog
Newborn Bully

Postby starrlamia » Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:57 pm

Good comparison on circumcision! They don't even use general anesthetic for that!

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk
starrlamia
Addicted to PBF

Postby BlockyDog » Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:58 pm

Here is Bishop with ears cropped. His right ear left looking at him looks like there is a notch there isn't. Just thought I would clarify

BlockyDog
Newborn Bully

Postby Keira&Phoenix » Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:06 am

Personally I love the look of the ears cropped, in saying that I still quite like natural ears as well.

But I do get why some people are against it as well.

He looks gorgeous!
Keira&Phoenix
Adolescent Bully

Postby BlockyDog » Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:23 am

Keira&Phoenix wrote:Personally I love the look of the ears cropped, in saying that I still quite like natural ears as well.

He looks gorgeous!

Thank you, he's a ham!
BlockyDog
Newborn Bully

Postby PitbullLover* » Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:32 am

how are the ears looking? still red? i agree with the rest don't put anything on them just let them heal, it will hurt to even touch the ears right now. As long as he's drinking and eating and the ears are looking better not swollen or something i would just leave them to heal up.

And no i don't agree with ear cropping but i am fine with anyone who makes a informed decision. And let them be done by a good vet under sedation, not like some idiot fighter using a scissor and letting the dog die from infection or by loosing to much blood.
PitbullLover*
Super Bully

Postby BlockyDog » Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:31 am

PitbullLover* wrote:how are the ears looking? still red? i agree with the rest don't put anything on them just let them heal, it will hurt to even touch the ears right now. As long as he's drinking and eating and the ears are looking better not swollen or something i would just leave them to heal up.

And no i don't agree with ear cropping but i am fine with anyone who makes a informed decision. And let them be done by a good vet under sedation, not like some idiot fighter using a scissor and letting the dog die from infection or by loosing to much blood.

Thanks for the response. He's doing great I did follow the advice and set aside my paranoia.
BlockyDog
Newborn Bully

Postby Misskiwi67 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:28 pm

Keira&Phoenix wrote:Personally I love the look of the ears cropped, in saying that I still quite like natural ears as well.

He looks gorgeous!

I wasn't against properly performed cropping until I saw one dog die during the procedure and did CPR on another (his heart stopped, but we got him back)... both of these occured at a single clinic in less than a year. Thats a 30% SEVERE complication rate.

Its a long procedure (an art form, really) under general anesthesia, in puppies too young to handle anesthesia that long. It is also almost always performed by older vets using out-dated anesthesia protocols and monitoring equiptment.

I also really love the way a cropped dogs ears look, and would happily adopt a cropped dog. I just couldn't handle the stress of putting my own baby through the procedure after having seen what I have seen.

Hopefully your pup will be all healed up and looking uber-handsome soon!
Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby BlockyDog » Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:04 pm

Misskiwi67 wrote:

He looks gorgeous!

I wasn't against properly performed cropping until I saw one dog die during the procedure and did CPR on another (his heart stopped, but we got him back)... both of these occured at a single clinic in less than a year. Thats a 30% SEVERE complication rate.

Its a long procedure (an art form, really) under general anesthesia, in puppies too young to handle anesthesia that long. It is also almost always performed by older vets using out-dated anesthesia protocols and monitoring equiptment.

I also really love the way a cropped dogs ears look, and would happily adopt a cropped dog. I just couldn't handle the stress of putting my own baby through the procedure after having seen what I have seen.

Hopefully your pup will be all healed up and looking uber-handsome soon!

That was one of my concerns for sure which is why I opted to have his blood drawn (screening). I don't know what they are checking for but if it had come back that he wasnt able to go under I would not have cropped.

My pups ears were done on the 2 nd he had his final shots appt on the 6 th his normal vet was very impressed with the crop job. After his checkup he gave me the a ok he is in good health and all was healing well.
That gave me a little peace of mind.
BlockyDog
Newborn Bully

Postby PitbullLover* » Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:25 am

BlockyDog wrote:
PitbullLover* wrote:how are the ears looking? still red? i agree with the rest don't put anything on them just let them heal, it will hurt to even touch the ears right now. As long as he's drinking and eating and the ears are looking better not swollen or something i would just leave them to heal up.

Thanks for the response. He's doing great I did follow the advice and set aside my paranoia.

I'm glad he's doing great! :)
PitbullLover*
Super Bully

Postby Sagebrush » Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:07 pm

Misskiwi67 wrote:[ I just couldn't handle the stress of putting my own baby through the procedure after having seen what I have seen.

It DOES change your outlook when you DO have a puppy die on the table getting their ears done.
I worked for a kennel where I had dozens of crops done over a period of 12 years. We lost two; and just losing those two make me look at it differently. And I DO like the cropped look, but it's a really hard decision any more.

It may have been coincidence, but the 2 pups were by the same sire...totally different females.

Carla
Sagebrush
Newborn Bully

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:19 pm

Bloodwork doesn't guarantee your pup won't die under anesthetic. Just to clarify.
AllisonPitbullLvr
Regulator

Previous

Return to Health Issues