All 3 Itching, Charlie the worst, Annie green eye discharge

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

All 3 Itching, Charlie the worst, Annie green eye discharge

Postby PaigeJ » Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:29 pm

Charlie is 6 months
Annie is 16 months
Maili is almost 3 years

I wonder if anyone here has heard of three dogs all of a sudden itching more than usual and developing some hives.

I actually didn't think anything of Annie and Maili's itching since they don't do it nearly as much as Charlie. Charlie's been itching so much we've been trying to think of any new thing he's been exposed to. He doesn't have fleas, he got his flea treatment last month but itched a ton the day after. So, so far I'm thinking maybe he's allergic to flea bites, the actual flea treatment (even though he's never had a reaction before), his new shampoo, the stuffing in the dog beds, the carpet, scratching because he's extra dirty, maybe he developed a food allergy...

Then a few days ago I noticed hives on all the dogs. Charlie had them on his legs and shoulders and was itching a lot so I gave him benadryl. Annie had a few hives on her back and thighs and Maili had a few on her back. But they don't itch nearly as much as Charlie.

Two days ago Annie started getting some green discharge in the morning from her eyes. Today I remembered green = infection so now I'm thinking maybe they all have a staph infection?? This is driving my Fiance and I crazy. That's the only answer to all three dogs itching, right? They couldn't ALL have developed allergies over the holidays...

Annie isn't paying any special attention to her eyes, they're not red, itchy, or anything else that screams infection. Just the little discharge the last two days.

Oh also, a few days ago we tried to rule out his dog bed at night, some new treats, and the Christmas tree as allergens. We took all those away and Charlie didn't scratch nearly as much this past weekend. I introduced his bed back last night and he woke me up three times with his scratching, I had to tell him to knock it off it was seriously aggressive scratching. I took the bed away and just gave him a regular pillow to sleep on and he didn't itch again until everyone went out to potty. I would have chalked that up to some kind of allergy but now Annie's eyes...I don't know :( Sorry this post is all over the place.

I'm going to call my vet's office and see if they've heard of something like this before. Maybe it is all a coincidence and Annie and Charlie's problems are separate and Maili just had hives that one day from something. :dunno:
PaigeJ
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Re: All 3 Itching, Charlie the worst, Annie green eye discha

Postby pblove » Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:06 pm

Paige how are they all doing today, did you get a call in to your vet ?
pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby Curly_07 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:18 pm

I somehow missed this yesterday. I don't have any input though. I'd be worried they all got bit by something. Did you get to see the vet? I hope things are better... :pray
Curly_07
Regulator

Postby PaigeJ » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:53 pm

Maili's perfectly fine today but Annie woke up with green discharge again. A little less though. Yesterday Charlie's underside became inflamed under his armpits and two of his nipples are now red and swollen from itching. Tonight I noticed he has more hives on his thighs. We have NO idea what is causing the hives. It's driving me absolutely crazy.

Charlie and Annie have a vet appt tomorrow morning. I'm sure they'll give Charlie some antibiotics for his new skin infection but we won't be able to find out the cause of all this :(
PaigeJ
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Curly_07 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:02 am

Do you have any lavender plugins or such around the house? Many dogs are allergic to daffodils, lilies, sunflowers, lavender, marigolds, dandelions, Peruvian lilies and tulips. I didn't realize until last month that many are allergic to these things and I had a lavender plugin in my bedroom to help me sleep. Curly would wake up with a rash from sleeping with me, but get better thru the day when away from my room, then bad again at night. I had no idea at the time what was causing it. I feel kinda dumb now.

Sent from my HTC Inspire using Tapatalk
Curly_07
Regulator

Return to Health Issues