Another broken tooth

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Re: Another broken tooth

Postby Nichole » Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:53 pm

She's home and snuggled up in my lap as I type this. We just finished giving her a small bite of her dinner. If she keeps it down for 20 minutes she can have the rest. The raw diet we feed is all ground up, bones and all, so it's pretty easy. Defrost and serve. She's groggy and definitely not fully herself. She's on pain meds but I wish they could speak human so I could know if it's enough, you know?

fret fret fret

Nichole
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Nichole » Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:58 pm

Poor baby. She found a ball and brought it over to me and chirped at me to throw it for her. Sad, sad Sadie
Nichole
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby pblove » Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:17 pm

sleep and feel better precious girl, time to play ball afterwards. :hug:
pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby HappyPuppy » Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:27 pm

it's all uphill from here! feel better soon - our maybe not, give mom a few more hours of a break...LOL
HappyPuppy
Addicted to PBF

Postby dogs4jen » Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:49 am

I hope she's well on her way to a full recovery, and back to fetching tennis balls.
dogs4jen
Forum Junky

Postby Nichole » Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:40 am

She's definitely feeling better. She was playing tug with a small rubber toy with violet. At first she was holding the toy with the good side of her mouth so I let it slide, but then she started holding it with the bad side, and shaking Violet off the toy like nothing was wrong. I checked her mouth and there was some blood. Nearly all of her toys have now gone byebye (temporarily).
Nichole
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Nichole » Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:06 pm

Sadie's pull site is looking really good. She hasnt been to the vets yet but I think she'll be pleased. I don't see the stitches anymore, the gums look pink and healthy without irritated redness.

Her normal food is raw food, ground and frozen. We cut and serve it to them frozen. Since this tooth pull her meals have been presented defrosted. I noticed yesterday her breath is starting to stink and I looked in her mouth and it's alarming the uptick in her tartar now. Amazing how quickly something like defrosting her normally frozen meals can alter her oral health. We're going to start feeding her normal frozen meals tonight which will hopefully turn this around.
Nichole
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby HappyPuppy » Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:53 pm

Nichole wrote:Sadie's pull site is looking really good. She hasnt been to the vets yet but I think she'll be pleased. I don't see the stitches anymore, the gums look pink and healthy without irritated redness.

Her normal food is raw food, ground and frozen. We cut and serve it to them frozen. Since this tooth pull her meals have been presented defrosted. I noticed yesterday her breath is starting to stink and I looked in her mouth and it's alarming the uptick in her tartar now. Amazing how quickly something like defrosting her normally frozen meals can alter her oral health. We're going to start feeding her normal frozen meals tonight which will hopefully turn this around.

^ are you saying that frozen food scrapes off more tartar?
HappyPuppy
Addicted to PBF

Postby Nichole » Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:00 pm

HappyPuppy wrote:^ are you saying that frozen food scrapes off more tartar?

It was an unproven theory I had. The food we get is all ground. Meat, organs, bones, fruits, veggies are all ground up together. One of the advantages of raw feeding is the improved dental health from the dogs eating those bones but since the majority of their meal is ground I knew they would be missing out on that so my idea was to feed it frozen. Sadie has been on defrosted ground raw for three weeks now and I think my theory was correct. I can't wait to put her back on frozen.
Nichole
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Misskiwi67 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:37 pm

HappyPuppy wrote:
^ are you saying that frozen food scrapes off more tartar?

Friction is friction... makes total sense to me!
Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Previous

Return to Health Issues