Temperament - venting

A place to share rescue-related issues, vent, get advice, and debrief on the challenges of the work!

Temperament - venting

Postby Amy Hendrickson » Fri Oct 07, 2011 4:29 pm

Why is it.....

rescues are willing to over look temperament or let things slide if...

the dog is blue (or whatever new BYB color of the month)

or physically beautiful - striking color pattern and/or cropped

it has papers

it is a puppy (holy cow if it is a blue papered puppy)

has a "tragic" history

why why why....argh!

poor little bombproof extra friendly mud colored dog that is uber fantastic - you just don't matter
Amy Hendrickson
Super Bully

Re: Temperament - venting

Postby Adrianne » Fri Oct 07, 2011 6:26 pm

The tragic stories... sigh... :(
Adrianne
Regulator

Postby Kingsgurl » Tue Oct 11, 2011 5:17 pm

Tell me about it. I have a super little white dog, no one even wants to meet her :crybaby:
Kingsgurl
Addicted to PBF

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Tue Oct 11, 2011 5:28 pm

:hug:

They matter to us. There's just not enough of us. :(
AllisonPitbullLvr
Regulator

Postby MissKitty » Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:35 pm

Because rescuers are humans too.

And often they are humans with a good heart but little understanding of dog behavior.

And......I have honestly never seen a puppy in rescue with a temperament issue.
MissKitty
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Re: Re: Temperament - venting

Postby heartbullies » Sat Oct 22, 2011 2:19 am

MissKitty wrote:And......I have honestly never seen a puppy in rescue with a temperament issue.

Lucky you.
It is monumentally depressing.

Sent from my ATRIX using Tapatalk
heartbullies
Regulator

Postby Amy Hendrickson » Sat Oct 22, 2011 7:14 am

:goodpost:

It is depressing when it's a puppy and everyone makes excuses. The temperament problems that we have been asked to deal with or take back a dog - it's always been a puppy. It really isn't all in how you raise them.
Amy Hendrickson
Super Bully

Postby Adrianne » Sat Oct 22, 2011 9:34 am

Not in rescue but at my training facility we get a few each session. Right now we have a little lab/collie/something that is fearfully aggressive and it's tiny. It shouldn't be this way, it's unfair and makes your stomach turn. Never should a tiny, baby, cute puppy lash out and bite repeatedly with hackles flaring because it's in a melt down from merely walking in an empty room with two people.
Adrianne
Regulator

Postby Amy Hendrickson » Sat Oct 22, 2011 3:23 pm

not only that, some of them just don't grow up OK. Until they are mature, you don't know for sure how their temperament is going to go.

When I said when we've dealt with issues, it's been a dog that was adopted out as a puppy and didn't turn out right as an adult....HA, too DA, etc
Amy Hendrickson
Super Bully

Postby MissKitty » Sat Oct 22, 2011 11:47 pm

That is so sad :(

The majority of dogs I have fostered have been adults, so that may have something to do with it. It would be heart breaking to have a puppy with serious temperament issues.
MissKitty
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby BabyReba » Sun Oct 23, 2011 8:19 am

it is. very. button came to me at about 10 to 12 weeks old with problems that at first seemed like maybe fear as a result of lack of socialization, and we did a ton of work to try to catch him up, and i thought for a while that we might actually be able to place him in a home at some point. but he was never right, and though we made progress, other issues always seemed to bleed through once we got one under control. phobias, obsessive behaviors, reactivity. i was faced with the option of putting him down or keeping him, because it was clear pretty early on that he wasn't going to be adoptable. it is truly sad and weird to work with a puppy that's got problems so deeply ingrained, whether it's due to temperament or environmental factors that create problems early on that shape the puppy's perception of the world.
BabyReba
Regulator

Postby WackyJacki » Sun Oct 23, 2011 11:50 pm

Stella has been a nervebag since we adopted her as a puppy. Four years of hard work and she is manageable and has a happy life in her little bubble. Now had her fearful behavior turned into aggressive responses toward people, we would have had some seriously heartbreaking decisions to make.

I think it's hard for a lot of people, myself included, to separate emotion from what is practical, logical, SAFE.
WackyJacki
Addicted to PBF

Postby tbluverjumper » Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:47 pm

I think this nearly every day when I'm walking through our kennels and looking over some of the dogs with 'awaiting rescue' tags on them. Knowing some of these dogs, I can only shake my head.
tbluverjumper
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Mooresmajestic » Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:27 am

Nothing makes us techs at work more sad then having to use a catch pole on a 3 month old puppy. Been there, and this pup was plain aggressive. This little 17# baby wanted to maim anyone that came near him and already had a history of serious bites (one before he was even adopted out to the owners that brought him in). He wasn't fearful either, he would seek someone out with the intent of injury. Our only solace was knowing that he wouldn't be able to reproduce at least. The owners got the pup from a rescue.
Mooresmajestic
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:45 am

We just spayed a 6 month old shar pei x Boston terrier. She was SO aggressive that we had to sedate her through the bars of her hospital cage. Owners are oblivious. "she is just scared."

Last year we had a litter of shar pei/pug x border collie pups. They're issues were not apparent when we saw them at 8 weeks but when we saw a few of them a month later for boosters, three had very serious and obvious (to me at least) aggression issues. One of the owners had two very small kids. I pulled her aside to tell her early intervention with a qualified behaviorist was essential or I felt confident the dog would bite someone. Owner unable to afford it, dog ended up being rehomed or surrendered after it bit her kid. :(

Enzo showed tendencies if DA when I had him that we immediately started working on m, and his current family is still working on with the knowledge that it may never disappear.
AllisonPitbullLvr
Regulator

Next

Return to Rescuing the Rescuers