Hiking essentials

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Hiking essentials

Postby jamielvsaustin » Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:54 pm

We plan to go over to Wekiva Springs this weekend and take the dogs. On the state park website it says the trails are marked and the longest one is only over 13 miles. I know this isn't going to be "real hiking" but I'd still like to be prepared. This will be the first time for us. What should we bring?

The things I've thought about so far are water (for us and the dogs), and extra leash and collar, maybe some sort of first aid (but what?), treats, bug spray, doggy mace, a snack or two (should I bring something for the dogs?), and sunglasses. I'd imagine comfy shoes and good socks are a must. We plan on having our phones fully charged, and hoping we can get some reception if needed.

I'm not sure how long we'll be out there (what's a reasonable guestimation if we did the 13 miles), the weather is supposed to be AWESOME. Partly cloudy, high of 63, low of 45 and a 10% chance of rain.

<<<<signed, totally clueless when it comes to this stuff
jamielvsaustin
Regulator

Re: Hiking essentials

Postby AbbyGirl352 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 5:24 pm

I've been looking into taking the dogs there, so I am expecting pictures and a full report. lol

I would imagine it would be an all day trip, just walking 4 miles on the street with Dexter, takes us about an hour and a half.
AbbyGirl352
Super Bully

Postby jamielvsaustin » Thu Jan 12, 2012 5:40 pm

I'm hoping for it to be an all day thing. The park opens at 8, that's when I'd like to get there. There's a ranger's station and it's recomended to get a map from them, so that's where we'll start our morning. I'm thinking so long the dogs are good (I'm a little concerned about Bailey) we can go until around 2 or so...then grab a bite to eat and head home (it's two hours away from us).
jamielvsaustin
Regulator

Postby AbbyGirl352 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:28 pm

When I go to the Silver Springs state park with the dogs, I usually bring a back pack with some granola bars for myself a couple hand fulls of kibble or treats for the dogs and water for me and the dogs. I make sure to have a foldable bowl, and just carry 3 litters of water with us and a small first aid kit. I carry saline flushes (taken from work), coban/vet wrap, a small bottle of peroxide, small bottle of rubbing alcohol, gauze pads and triple antibiotic ointment.
AbbyGirl352
Super Bully

Postby pblove » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:22 pm

besides what was posted above I also carry with us:
instant hot pack
instant cold pack
saline water to flush eyes or a wound
tweezers and small magnifying glass for thorns, ticks, splinters
bandanna or piece of material long enough to make an emergency muzzle
ruler or some type of stick (or tubes from Christmas wrapping paper)to make an emergency splint
enough gauze or strips of material to stabilize the emergency splint
scissors
bottle flcohol to cook off hot dog if they over heat
sterile gause to pack a wound
band aids for blisters, small cuts on humans
more snacks for people and dogs
packs of matches and wrap them in double or triple water proof bags

BENEDRYL in case of stings, allergies, hives,(you never know when you will have an allergic eaction to bee stings, nettles, spider bites etc-took 40 years of getting stung before one wasp sting that put me into anaphylatic shock
pblove
Addicted to PBF

Hiking essentials

Postby TahsSunny » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:36 pm

I'm so glad this thread is here. I never thought of bringing any of this stuff when I go hiking.
TahsSunny
Addicted to PBF

Postby Savage Destiny » Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:04 am

I bring most of the stuff mentioned above, really good advice there. I also pack a set of boots for each dog, in case the terrain gets rougher than I thought, or if someone cuts a pad/rips a toenail. We also have the dogs wear bear bells, since we have bears and cougar in our area.
Savage Destiny
Bully Ambassador

Postby pblove » Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:34 am

my post was suppsoed to read a bottle 'of alcohol' to 'cool' off a hot dog
and
guaze, not guase
pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby rgyoung777 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:29 pm

If you're hoping to spend all day in the park, bring more food and water than you think you'll need. I would bring a full midday meal and plenty of snacks, instead of just snacks. Make sure it's high in protein and carbs for the humans, and perhaps higher in fat and protein than normal for your pups. Hiking burns a lot of calories, and you might be out there longer than you think. When going out into nature, it's best to over-prepare a little bit.

Stop frequently (every 20 minutes or so) for water and a quick rest if you're feeling tired--just a sip or two for everyone will keep you all hydrated. A short break can work wonders for tired feet!

Also, it wouldn't hurt to bring extra socks.

I doubt very much that you'll run into trouble, but it goes without saying that you should let a friend or family member know you're going out hiking (and where you'll be) and that you'll call them when you get back that evening. If you don't call, they will know to alert the authorities that something has gone awry.
rgyoung777
Addicted to PBF

Postby BabyReba » Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:00 pm

i love wekiva--it's so pretty!

getting there early is a good idea. when it's really nice out, it can get busy/crowded in the pavilion and picnic areas, and if the parking lots fill up, they don't let anyone in until someone leaves, and that's a total drag.

definitely bring something to eat for you AND the dogs. definitely a good amount of water--you'd be surprised how thirsty you get out there. i actually have an app on my phone from NorthFace that's a trailblazer app, and it actually tracks your movements, so if you do manage to get turned around or lost, you can easily trace your way back to civilization. if you have a smartphone, i'd look for something like that. not that you are likely to get lost, but it's just an additional safety measure.

i also like to pack a long line with me, just in case i find a nice spot to let the dog(s) have a little extra freedom while we're out and about ... we don't always get to use them but it always sucks to regret not having one handy!

when you're done hiking, there's a fun, dog-friendly outdoor bar/canoe rental place right near the state park called Wekiva Island. it's a fun riverside outdoor marina kind of place to stop for a bite to eat or a beer if you want to stop on your way back.
BabyReba
Regulator

Postby PitBull-Lady » Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:56 pm

A standard first aid kit is good, but I like to also add some saline and vet wrap. Depending on the hike, some of mine like to have a little more than a snack, more like a heavy snack. Don't forget a bowl like I did once. (they hate drinking out of my hands)
PitBull-Lady
Addicted to PBF

Postby AbbyGirl352 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:59 pm

I forgot to add that i also carry a dog brush/comb to get stick tights out of their fur.
AbbyGirl352
Super Bully

Postby elegy » Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:44 pm

Dog specifics that I carry when hiking are a lightweight extra leash, a dog bowl, water for him, a small doggy first aid kit (good for humans too!), vet wrap, and booties. (My dog is super prone to foot issues, so I try to be prepared for that)

Definitely carry more water than you think you'll need. 13 miles is a LONG walk, especially if you're not used to it.

I also carry emergency stuff like a flashlight, a multitool, a lighter for making a fire in an emergency, and a spaceblanket.
elegy
Bully Ambassador

Hiking essentials

Postby jamielvsaustin » Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:56 pm

We went yesterday and went on the Volksmarch trail (10K). It was a bit longer than I'd expected and towards the end I wasn't enjoying it anymore. But I'm also not feeling 100%. I keep saying I'm not sick...it's allergies...but who knows. We packed a bunch of things (extra collars and a leash...and some of the stuff mentioned above).

The dogs did well, I was nervous about meeting other dogs...especially off leash ones but we saw none. I'm glad too because some times the trail was really narrow and I don't know what we would've done with Trooper.

We did a tick check when we got to the truck and then another when we got home. Everyone looks good...but while driving home I did find one crawling on the visor-weird.

Anyhow-on to the pictures-the best part!

ImageImageImageImage

On some of the trail there were still burning pieces of wood...it felt...erie. But you could tell it was an intentional burn as the trail was always clear.
jamielvsaustin
Regulator

Postby PitbullLover* » Sun Jan 15, 2012 5:56 am

the pictures are great!!! and when i go hiking with the girls in the woods or anywhere really i also bring much much things, inlcuding first aid, water and food and extra leash and collar!

btw. what a beautiful place that you went too wow :wow
PitbullLover*
Super Bully

Return to Health Issues