How poisonous are onions????

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

How poisonous are onions????

Postby Curly_07 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:40 am

So, Curly just jacked half of a Spanish onion I was chopping up and ate it. I read somewhere that onions were poisonous to dogs. Does anybody know how poisonous or if this is true?

Sent from my HTC Inspire using Tapatalk
Curly_07
Regulator

Re: How poisonous are onions????

Postby pblove » Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:49 am

curley can you call your vet's office and ask
unless your dog is allergice to onions, it usually takes a large amount to be lethal(but that also depends on your dog's weight and health coindition too)
I hope it is not enough to maka\e him sick. :pray
pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby jamielvsaustin » Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:54 am

What I'm reading online says the amount of onion determines the toxicity. If it were me I'd make her throw up. It says the symptoms can take a couple of days before you realize anything is wrong, and then it sounds like it's too late.

It causes a type of anemia where there's a bubble in the red blood cell weakening it. If too many of the RBCs pop it kills the dog.

I second calling the vet to see what they say.
jamielvsaustin
Regulator

Postby Curly_07 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:55 am

Thanks! I'm calling them now. It was maybe a half cup of chopped onions. She is acting fine/normal.

Curly_07
Regulator

Postby Curly_07 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:09 am

Ok, the vet said it isn't enough to be considered lethal for her size, but to keep an eye on her and bring her in if she starts acting odd. I tried to gag her and the peroxide trick at his suggestions, but no onions came up. So, I'm monitoring her until I leave for work and then my roommie will be watching her. I swear this dog is going to give me a heart attack one day with the things she thinks is ok to eat.

Curly_07
Regulator

Postby HappyPuppy » Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:28 pm

I think it just causes anemia in HUGE doses.... I chuck Ruby random bits of onion all the time... A half an onion, tho - wow at her tastebuds!
HappyPuppy
Addicted to PBF

Postby dogs4jen » Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:35 pm

I remember Miss Kiwi said that most of the problems she sees are from dogs eating packages of onion soup mix.
dogs4jen
Forum Junky

Postby star_frances » Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:58 pm

From the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center:

"Onions, Garlic, Chives

These vegetables and herbs can cause gastrointestinal irritation and could lead to red blood cell damage. Although cats are more susceptible, dogs are also at risk if a large enough amount is consumed. Toxicity is normally diagnosed through history, clinical signs and microscopic confirmation of Heinz bodies. An occasional low dose, such as what might be found in pet foods or treats, likely will not cause a problem, but we recommend that you do NOT give your pets large quantities of these foods."
star_frances
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Poohs Dad » Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:48 am

star_frances wrote:From the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center:

"Onions, Garlic, Chives
An occasional low dose, such as what might be found in pet foods or treats, likely will not cause a problem, "

WTF, why would they put something that is a known toxin into their food or treats??
Poohs Dad
Matured Bully

Postby star_frances » Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:56 am

Poohs Dad wrote:
star_frances wrote:From the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center:

"Onions, Garlic, Chives
An occasional low dose, such as what might be found in pet foods or treats, likely will not cause a problem, "

WTF, why would they put something that is a known toxin into their food or treats??

Good question. I often come across "all natural" pet shampoos that contain essential oils, which are highly toxic to cats. I guess the fact is the manufacturers don't care if they can make a buck off it. Look at all the toxic chemicals in human products.
star_frances
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Misskiwi67 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:42 pm

dogs4jen wrote:I remember Miss Kiwi said that most of the problems she sees are from dogs eating packages of onion soup mix.

Yup, and the reports are not very common. The smaller the dog and the more onion they get, the worse it is.

I saw a dog recently for vomiting after the owner gave it an entire bowl of french onion soup 3 days prior... no anemia or heinz bodies found...
Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Curly_07 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:25 pm

Thanks all for the info. This is day 2 and curly is acting "normal" for her spaz self. Monitoring her for the next couple days to be sure. My vet was really nice about it, and said to call any hour if she started acting different.

Curly_07
Regulator

Return to Health Issues