Tarter

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Tarter

Postby Cherry » Sat Jan 21, 2012 7:48 am

Cherry's very back teeth are brown with tarter. :( Ever since we stopped giving her raw meaty bones and deer antler, they have increased in tarter like crazy. She's on Nature's Variety Instinct Salmon kibble.

We stopped the raw bones and deer antlers because her teeth that are right in front of the very back ones are showing slight wear. There's a slight brown spot on top of each of those 4 teeth. She's due for a dental and we are having it done next month.

It is really hard to get a picture since the teeth in question are so far back there. My question is what else can I do besides brushing her teeth daily?

Raw feeding is not an option. I'm scared to give her back her bones because of the wear. If the dr says it is fine after her dental and the teeth won't cause her pain by wearing more, I will start giving them back to her for small periods. Until then, I need another alternative! For her sake and mine, her breath stinks and I know it is from the increase in gunk on the back teeth.

Her front teeth aren't horrible, they are faintly yellowed at the gums, like this

But her very back ones look like this:
Cherry
Bully Lover 4 Life

Re: Tarter

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:48 am

Brushing will suffice until her dentistry. It's only a month away.

I also won't give hard bones after Buddy fractured her bottom canines while chewing one. So we brush.

Do you guys have a product called Healthy Mouth down there? It's the first VOHC recognized water additive and it is proven to help prevent the build up of tarter on the teeth. It is great to use after dentistries.
AllisonPitbullLvr
Regulator

Postby star_frances » Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:17 am

I use this:

http://www.amazon.com/Proden-Plaqueoff- ... B000U8HN5W

It was recommended by Sarah here on the forums. It does wonders, honestly.

Here was the thread:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=144672
star_frances
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby HappyPuppy » Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:03 pm

All of Ruby's teeth are now worn FLAT - no one seems to think it's a huge deal.... I still feed raw. (I've noticed recently that her very back teeth are very brown...?) darn - I spent 20 mins looking for the recent pic of her teeth and I can't find it... ETA - found it!

I did see at Costco 2 kinds of dental chews...wonder if they are any good?

HappyPuppy
Addicted to PBF

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:29 pm

If a product has the VOHC seal, it's been proven effective at preventing dental disease.
AllisonPitbullLvr
Regulator

Postby Misskiwi67 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:03 pm

I would classify all the teeth photographed as grade 1 dental disease. There is tartar present, but it is not yet touching the gumline. Until there is gum disease, you have time... however, as soon as the tartar touches the gumline, thats when you start the nasty process of gum recession and irreversible periodontal ligament loss. Its best to get teeth cleaned when the tartar gets to the gumline to perfectly balance anesthesia and preventative dental care. Easier said than done sometimes, and ealier is always better.

I use mostly rawhide and C.E.T. Veggiedent chews (like greenies, but cheaper!) to keep my dogs teeth clean. Romeo is allergic to beef making most easy raw options not an option, pork bones Lena shatters, and the elk bones we order are only of interest to him for about as long as rawhides.
Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Cherry » Sat Jan 21, 2012 5:35 pm

AllisonPibbleLvr wrote:Brushing will suffice until her dentistry. It's only a month away.

I also won't give hard bones after Buddy fractured her bottom canines while chewing one. So we brush.

Do you guys have a product called Healthy Mouth down there? It's the first VOHC recognized water additive and it is proven to help prevent the build up of tarter on the teeth. It is great to use after dentistries.

Thanks! I haven't seen anything like that. I'll order it online though. I don't want it to progress into a serious health concern. I've been trying to manage it, she's always had issues with tarter. Poor baby already suffers so much with allergies.

I'll continue the brushing and order the above product. I'll update when her dental is done. She's having a couple skin tags removed at the same time so we are saving up to get everything done at once. I hate having her under anesthesia. Her wellness plan covers 2 dentals a year and I think we should do both but it scares me having her under that much.
Cherry
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Misskiwi67 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:25 pm

Cherry wrote:I hate having her under anesthesia. Her wellness plan covers 2 dentals a year and I think we should do both but it scares me having her under that much.

One per year should be adequate for all but the tiny smoosh-faced dogs like chocolate (shi h-tsus) and pugs. Yorkies and chihuahuas also need 2 per year in some cases, but most large dogs have overall better dental health.

Don't feel like a bad momma because you only do one a year. Romeo will be 7 next year, and I haven't signed him up for a dental yet (although I'm sure it won't be more than another year before I have no choice.)
Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Return to Health Issues