Seeking in MD area- any breed

Why buy from a breeder when there are plenty of homeless pups in shelters???

Seeking in MD area- any breed

Postby gooeydog » Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:37 pm

Not for me... my 3 heathens are plenty! :)

My elderly neighbor's dog had to be put down a couple weeks ago due to an inoperable abdominal tumor. She'd only had her for 3 years, and had adopted her from my workplace at my recommendation when her previous dog died of old age. DJ was a homely looking 5-ish year old foxhound who was just the nicest dog you'd ever want to meet. My neighbor adored her, and it's going to be hard to find another dog to fill her niche, but my neighbor is lonely and looking for a dog to keep her company again.

Traits we're looking for:
-no puppies! looking for something between 3-6 years, though there could be exceptions if the right one comes along.

- looking for something in the range of 25-50 lbs. neighbor can't bend over far and uses a walker, so little dogs are out. she prefers her dogs to stay on the floor or their dog beds, so something big enough to gently put its head in her lap while she's sitting is nice :) but at the same time, she'd prefer a dog that's not too big.

- laid back, easygoing attitude- no jumpers, mouthy dogs, or pushy, demanding attention seekers. neighbor has had dogs, but isn't physically healthy enough anymore to deal with obnoxious, pushy behavior.

-lowish energy- neighbor has a big fenced yard, but isn't really able to get out to play with or walk the dog. chain link fence is only 3.5 feet tall, but new and pretty secure as long as dog isnt climbing/jumping out.

- neighbor lives alone, but has frequent visits from neighbors/family/delivery people. dog MUST be at least indifferent to people coming and going, if not friendly. since she's always had dogs, people that go to her house are good about closing the gate, but prefer a dog who's not a frantic door/gate rusher, though i know that's a training issue.

- no other pets in the house, but she wouldn't be able to handle a crazy dog/cat aggressive dog, prefer a dog which is at least tolerant of or indifferent to other animals.

- low maintenance grooming preferred, though could make exception if the right dog comes along. she can't really brush out a heavy coated dog, and i honestly dont prefer to do it (note my short coated personal dogs!), but would if needed lol .

I know that's a long, pretty specific list, but any dog that fits those criteria may just find a goldmine of a home. My neighbor doesn't drive anymore, so I've been keeping my eyes peeled at work and checking petfinder, but haven't seen anything yet that sounds perfect, and it's hard when you don't have the dog right in front of you, or someone other dog experienced person to look at them. Before she got her last dog, her family tried to give her a farm bred BC pup :eek:
gooeydog
Regulator

Re: Seeking in MD area- any breed

Postby gooeydog » Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:00 pm

Posted that before I was totally finished by accident, and now it won't let me fix it...

Wanted to clarify that DJ was 5ish when neighbor adopted her, so around 8+ yrs when she was put down.

-also, neighbor is home most of the time, but does have doctors appointments, etc occasionally and hasn't previously used a crate for any of her dogs. I could probably convince her if absolutely necessary, but prefer a dog who can occasionally chill for a couple hours free in the house.
gooeydog
Regulator

Postby tarnation » Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:57 am

It looks like the Washington Animal Rescue League might have some options for her--maybe Bumpkin the Beagle?

http://www.warl.org/adopt/search/
tarnation
Newborn Bully

Postby Amie » Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:38 am

We have several dogs at the MD SPCA that might work! If she isn't opposed to pit bulls, Maggie is a GORGEOUS blue brindle lady who's pretty laid back (she's also Dog of the Month so her adoption fee is waived)... but there are others, of a variety of breeds!
Amie
Regulator

Postby gooeydog » Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:34 am

Coincidentally, my neighbor just finished up a week trial with a cute little dog we found through my work, she adores him, so he's a permanent addition now :) . Interestingly enough, he's only about a year old, 14 or so pounds (thin though, he'll be good at 16ish), and longish haired :wow ... so much for my criteria! He is, however, very laid back in the house, pretty mannerly, very social, leggy enough that she can reach his collar pretty easily, and cute enough that even if he does go through a naughty teen spell, I think she'll still love him lol .
gooeydog
Regulator

Postby pacopoe » Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:19 pm

That sounds so sweet! Glad she found the right dog (which usually breaks the criteria somehow lol )
pacopoe
Bully Ambassador

Return to Rescue Resources & Adoptable Dogs