Raw Question

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Raw Question

Postby Nichole » Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:50 pm

I was at the grocery store and was browsing through the meat section looking for sales. I saw pork necks for a pretty good price. It's all sliced up so nothing too big size wise. What are thoughts on the bone in pork neck? Is it spongy enough to be edible? Sadie has no common sense and will eat bones that are supposed to be recreational chews, so I have to pick wisely. The bone looks very spongy and like I said, sliced into pieces with lots of meat around it.
Nichole
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Re: Raw Question

Postby FBODGRL » Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:16 pm

I feed pork necks. Khan doesn't have problems with them. I feed the type you are describing cut up from the grocery store.

I wouldn't say the bones are spongey. They are pretty dense IMO. I know I have heard some people don't like to feed them because they are pretty boney. I usually feed the once every 7-10 days. Khan is also a dog who requires a decent amount of bone in his diet. He actually has some amount of bone every day (he only eats 1x a day) I know some people can feed days off with no bone< but he gets loose stool if I skip bone.

Hope that helps.
FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby Team Peanut » Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:28 pm

if you are already feeding raw and your dog does well on pork you can feed them. if you are worried just monitor your dog while it is eating and you should have no issues.
Team Peanut
Newborn Bully

Postby elegy » Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:42 pm

I feed them without any problems. I usually feed one piece of neckbone and then fill out the rest of the meal with other muscle meat.

I definitely agree that they're *not* spongey. I worry a little bit about teeth breaking with them, actually.
elegy
Bully Ambassador

Postby Nichole » Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:51 pm

I didn't mean to imply it's a soft bone. It just isn't as dense as, say, femur. Thanks for the thoughts on it. I gave both girls a little of it and they both ate it fine.
Nichole
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Team Peanut » Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:06 pm

i am sure you already know but be careful with femurs and other weight bearing bones.
Team Peanut
Newborn Bully

Postby Nichole » Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:59 pm

yes I do know, no worries. thanks.
We're not new to raw feeding, I'm just cautious because Sadie will bust a tooth to get the bones in her belly at crazy speeds. I have to be extra careful with her.
Nichole
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby HappyPuppy » Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:43 pm

I feed them sparingly since they are very hard and sort of thick in places...
HappyPuppy
Addicted to PBF

Return to Health Issues