Bald Spot on Tail - How to stop this from happening?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Bald Spot on Tail - How to stop this from happening?

Postby KanersHuman » Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:30 pm

I noticed a bald spot on Kaners tail. Its right at the first "ball shaped" portion of his tail. I guess its right after what would be the stump? My cousin says that the ball shaped (not sure what its called... spine?) is too big. He told me to squeeze it but Kaners like 65 pounds right now and i don't know if im brave enough to squeeze anything on him :).

Ive only ever seen bald spots on dogs who are caged a lot and its usually their elbows. Any idea why this is happening and how to stop it? Anyone think my cousins squeeze advice is good advice?

These are the best pics i could get because Kaner is too wiggly. Its right on the bottom of the tail.

KanersHuman
Adolescent Bully

Re: Bald Spot on Tail - How to stop this from happening?

Postby Trillian » Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:46 pm

I'm not sure what it is. But a client's dog startled loosing hair like that and it turned out to be a thyroid condition.
Trillian
Adolescent Bully

Postby Curly_07 » Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:58 pm

It looks like a hot spot to me. You should still get a scraping done to be sure tho. If its a hot spot, they sell spray for it at the pet stores. It's pretty common in blue dogs, atleast that's the only ones I ever see it on. Lady had a couple when I adopted her, adding extra oils (coconut and salmon) helped. Haven't seen any in a yr.

Sent from my HTC Inspire using Tapatalk
Curly_07
Regulator

Postby dogs4jen » Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:22 pm

It could also be infected/clogged sebacious glands, called stud tail. Does it seem like it's painful to him when you touch it? I had to take Roscoe to the vet for this a little while ago, antibiotics cleared it right up.
dogs4jen
Forum Junky

Postby Amie » Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:41 pm

My first thought was also stud tail, though from my monitor it doesn't look like quite the right location for that. In any event, I'd definitely visit with a vet! Nothing we've mentioned is particularly serious, but it's impossible to diagnose from an internet post, and it's better to be sure.
Amie
Regulator

Postby KanersHuman » Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:12 pm

Its not painful. I can squeeze it with a good amount of pressure and he doesn't even seem to notice. No puss or liquid or even a scab. Its like the hair just fell out there. Hes going in for shots next week so i will have them look at it while hes there.

I was thinking it might be from his tail wagging all the time while hes on the floor like rubbing a bald spot. Maybe i can make him a tail guard :).
KanersHuman
Adolescent Bully

Postby PitBull-Lady » Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:52 pm

We have actually found that Flower's tail issues are staph related. I really can be so many things. Just head to the vet :)
PitBull-Lady
Addicted to PBF

Return to Health Issues