Allergens in the fall?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Re: Allergens in the fall?

Postby Misskiwi67 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:23 pm

Cherry wrote:Just one gray. It doesn't have the mg info on the bottle but the pill is gray and says 100 on it. I just assumed this meant 100mg? I dunno, maybe not.

What are your concerns about Cephlexin every other day? It was every day per the vet but he said we can drop it to every other day as long as it is still effective. We ran out and she was off it for a couple weeks. She almost immediately had a staph infection. :(

My concern is that Cephalexin is active in the bloodstream for 8-12 hours, meaning your dog should be getting pills every 8-12 hours (most dose every 12) to maintain serum levels of antibiotic. Intermittent use sounds like a plan for creating resistant staph species to me. This is a risk with any chronic antibiotic use however, and its unknown if pulse therapy is really damaging or not. I just don't like it...

Pulse therapy is most often seen in dogs who's owners can't afford the gamut that is needed to treat the true underlying condition and prevent the infections. Cherry is NOT one of those dogs, she's had everything done and done well, and I know deep down this is likely keeping Cherry comfortable and is best for her well-being. As always, quality of life comes first.

The temaril-P that I am familiar with has 2mg of prednisolone per pill. If your medium dog is getting 2mg of prednisone every other day, thats a pretty low dose, which is great!
Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Cherry » Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:44 pm

That makes sense. Cephlexin every day is definitely not a financial burden on us. And if pulse therapy can cause resistance, that is scary. She is already prone to staph as is. I was worried about its side effects. My vet is awesome but he takes for granted that I am more knowledgeable that his typical client and doesn't always explain the side effects fully to me LOL.

We've tried treating the underlying condition. Unfortunately, we can't figure out what is causing her to have such bad allergies. :( Every test has been run on her and every med tried. I just want her to be comfortable and happy, regardless of the cost to me. Even if it risks shortening her life with medicines. :(

I am happy with the effects of the Temeril P so far. Like I said, sometimes we have to up it to every day. Outbreaks she gets the 2 a day and we taper safely down to one every other day. She still holds water weight but now that she can handle being outside a little better, I've been jogging with her. Like you said though, any long term steroid use isn't ideal. I'm conflicted about Atopica use as well though because it is an immuno-suppressant also. It just doesn't have as dire side effects as steroids. But, the vet thinks her suppressed immune system is causing the skin tags to come up on her. She's getting 2 more removed soon. At least they are benign. Time for a talk with the vet, for sure. Going to schedule something next week.
Cherry
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Misskiwi67 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:03 pm

I see skin tags a lot with chronic irritation... they show up on thin-skinned dogs that lie on their chest, and near calluses.

Its entirely possible the skin tags are related to the chronic irritation caused by the allergies.

The allergies are part of who Cherry is. They are an over-stimulation of the immune system, and the immuno-suppressive drugs just knock the immune system down to a normal level where it matters most. Atopica or steroids, whichever works best. Its the only way to control the underlying immune stimulation without avoiding all the things cherry is allergic to completely. For dogs allergic to a thousand different things, avoidance just isn't an option, so drugs is the next best thing.
Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Nichole » Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:22 pm

A little update on Vi's allergies.

Last fall she was put on a low dose of steroids which seemed to tame the allergy beast and gain some control over it. Once the script was through our regular vet had us give her benadryl 2x a day all the way till fall to see if having that constant low dose in her system does anything for her. Well we aren't in fall yet so I have nothing to report there but it has helped her eyes a lot. She used to have constant watery eyes (I would take a warm cloth to her eyes 2x a day) and I didn't even realize it was allergies until she was put on this constant dose of benadryl and suddenly no watery eyes which has been her normal. So even if the benadryl doesn't help her fall allergies it is at least making her eyes feel better.
Nichole
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby PitbullLover* » Sat Jun 16, 2012 6:53 am

Nichole wrote:A little update on Vi's allergies.

Last fall she was put on a low dose of steroids which seemed to tame the allergy beast and gain some control over it. Once the script was through our regular vet had us give her benadryl 2x a day all the way till fall to see if having that constant low dose in her system does anything for her. Well we aren't in fall yet so I have nothing to report there but it has helped her eyes a lot. She used to have constant watery eyes (I would take a warm cloth to her eyes 2x a day) and I didn't even realize it was allergies until she was put on this constant dose of benadryl and suddenly no watery eyes which has been her normal. So even if the benadryl doesn't help her fall allergies it is at least making her eyes feel better.

how wonderful that atleast her eyes are getting better, allergies are just so complicated. I have as many of you guys know a german shepard with severe allergies, she is not tested yet, might get that going as soon as i have payed some other bills. My german shepard has constant itching,swore eyes,paws and is just miserable.. she also has anal fistula. She's on anti histaminca Cetrizine two tablets of 10 mg a day. She is also on ''prednoral'' which is prednisone 5 mg a day. It was once 1 every other day but the day she does not get it, she would only lay and look at you, its not a option so i just give her 5 mg a day for now. Also tried low dose of Atopica 25 mg a day, with prednisone and it worked wonders! But i'm afraid of the side effects so i know just cut the Atopica and are going for prednisone and soon allergy testing will be in order...

to make things worse my amstaff/border collie mix freckles has recently begin getting red and itchy....i don't know what is going on here but seems like the whole family is going itchy!
PitbullLover*
Super Bully

Previous

Return to Health Issues