Tucker doesn't like kibble ...

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Re: Tucker doesn't like kibble ...

Postby Cherry » Sat Jan 21, 2012 7:32 am

FransterDoo wrote:Erin - The Honest Kitchen offers sampler packs. That might be a good option to try.

http://www.thehonestkitchen.com/products/taster-kits/

http://www.thehonestkitchen.com/product ... ize-boxes/

I really want to try this as an alternative to raw since we feed kibble but it is so expensive here. :(
Cherry
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby PitFriend » Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:59 am

For my old, picky husky I used to cook ground turkey to mix in with her kibble. Not a whole lot, just enough to add flavor. I poured warm water over the mix to make it soft and gravy-ish, and she loved it.
PitFriend
Addicted to PBF

Postby BabyReba » Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:30 am

his teeth are all sorts of wonky ...they line up fine, but he has huge gaps in between some of them because it seems his lower jaw is longer than it needs to be. his chin bumps the bottom of his bowl when he eats, and i noticed that if i hand feed him (yes, i've been willing to hand feed to get him to eat) he's more game for eating dry kibble ... so maybe it is something about his teeth/mouth and kibble and eating from a bowl.

today he's going to get half canned, half kibble, which i'm pretty sure he''ll love. but i'm going to look into other foods for him, too. i think i might just have to suck it up and keep canned foods and dehydrated foods in the house and mix it up for him. or just get a freezer, put it in my living room so he can eat raw again! :)

PS. He wouldn't eat dry dinner tonight, but this morning I gave him breakfast of kibble with a big spoonful of wet Canidae, some alfalfa powder and warm water and he scarfed it down. So maybe he will just have to be a little spoiled ... and maybe I'll experiment some more with foods for him.
BabyReba
Regulator

Postby MMSmith » Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:15 am

It sounds like everyone has given good suggestions...but something you said about his chin hitting the bowl makes me wonder if he would do better out of a shallow dish or a plate.

Henry is super picky. He turned up his nose at all the wonderful stuff previously suggested. Henry is also allergic to corn so it was important to get him on a primo food after I adopted him. Long story short, I finally got him to eat Nutro Ultra. He loves it! I've never seen him eat kibble with such abandon. And every time I've tried transitioning him to something else, he goes on strike. So I supplement where I can and give him healthy treats. He's five and looks about six months old, so I must be doing something right.
MMSmith
Adolescent Bully

Postby starrlamia » Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:55 pm

we've been having good luck with Go! with grendel lately, it was onsale so I grabbed a bag of the fish and he loves it so far, usually by now he is tired of the kibble. I also sometimes sprinkle flax meal on his kibble which he loves and gets him to eat.
starrlamia
Addicted to PBF

Postby FBODGRL » Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:31 pm

Cherry wrote:
FransterDoo wrote:Erin - The Honest Kitchen offers sampler packs. That might be a good option to try.

I really want to try this as an alternative to raw since we feed kibble but it is so expensive here. :(

Try here http://www.petflow.com/invite/uu4952810 ...their prices are usually good. Plus it ships to your door. If you order please sign up through the code I posted. I get credit then and I could use the referral ;)
FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby FBODGRL » Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:33 pm

BabyReba wrote:his teeth are all sorts of wonky ...they line up fine, but he has huge gaps in between some of them because it seems his lower jaw is longer than it needs to be. his chin bumps the bottom of his bowl when he eats, and i noticed that if i hand feed him (yes, i've been willing to hand feed to get him to eat) he's more game for eating dry kibble ... so maybe it is something about his teeth/mouth and kibble and eating from a bowl.

today he's going to get half canned, half kibble, which i'm pretty sure he''ll love. but i'm going to look into other foods for him, too. i think i might just have to suck it up and keep canned foods and dehydrated foods in the house and mix it up for him. or just get a freezer, put it in my living room so he can eat raw again! :)

PS. He wouldn't eat dry dinner tonight, but this morning I gave him breakfast of kibble with a big spoonful of wet Canidae, some alfalfa powder and warm water and he scarfed it down. So maybe he will just have to be a little spoiled ... and maybe I'll experiment some more with foods for him.

Do you guys have a garage at that house? I was thinking you could do a freezer in there unless your washer/dryer are in there and taking up space....or do you have a Florida room?
FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby pacopoe » Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:59 pm

mtlu wrote:Do his teeth line up okay or is his bite funny because of his pronounced underbite? I wonder also if letting his kibble soften in a bit of water could help.

This is something to take into consideration. Recently my friend's dog has been more and more picky about eating kibble. The "Little Prince", they complained, wouldn't eat it unless it was softened with water or mixed with wet food. He went to boarding with a vet tech and they found 6 rotten teeth.

Not saying this is necessarily the problem here where it's a lifelong issue, but if a dog is suddenly getting weird about eating kibble then bad teeth could be a cause.
pacopoe
Bully Ambassador

Postby BabyReba » Sat Jan 21, 2012 6:56 pm

Do you guys have a garage at that house? I was thinking you could do a freezer in there unless your washer/dryer are in there and taking up space....or do you have a Florida room?

No garage. Just a covered carport. We have a Florida room but I'm afraid it might cost us an arm and a leg to have a fridge running outside in 80-95-degree weather. Or maybe because freezers are well-insulated that wouldn't be an issue?

We went to the feed store today and picked up samples of a bunch of different foods. Tonight we tried a few things to see if anything really seemed to appeal to him without soft dog food or water, and he dove into the Earthborn Holistics. So we'll try a small bag of that and see if maybe it's a hit. I'm wondering if kibble shape and size might be a factor here as well. Earthborn is nice, big pieces where some of the others are smallish or even tiny kibbles. Maybe bit is more comfortable to eat.
BabyReba
Regulator

Postby dogs4jen » Sat Jan 21, 2012 7:19 pm

I've never had a picky eater, but I just got some salmon oil last week to give the dogs instead of the human fish oil capsules, and they are nuts about it, I wonder if that might help with Tucker? I can't believe the way they are licking their bowls.
dogs4jen
Forum Junky

Tucker doesn't like kibble ...

Postby mtlu » Sat Jan 21, 2012 7:25 pm

I would imagine different size/shape kibble could make a difference since his teeth set is all wonky. Also wondering if changing the bowl would help? Most dog dishes have a fairly wide, flat bottom and straight sides so maybe something more like a mixing bowl with a smaller bottom but curved sides to a wider opening (at the top) would help? Wrapping a towel around the base of the bottom will help keep the bowl more stable and less likely to tip while he's eating.
mtlu
Addicted to PBF

Postby dogs4jen » Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:33 pm

Or maybe one of these shallow square bowls would help?

http://www.omahavaccine.com/product_det ... teel+Bowls
dogs4jen
Forum Junky

Postby geckogirly » Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:30 pm

My dog sounds very much like yours. Never goes 2 days without eating at least one meal, but still very kibble picky.

I mix in broth with his food which is cheap and he loves. No problems getting him to eat meals with it.

Just what works for me :D

-Andrea ;)
geckogirly
Matured Bully

Postby BabyReba » Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:59 am

So far, he's still eating Earthborn Holistics without turning his nose up at it, which is awesome. i am keeping canned food on hand, too, just in case. but so far, so good!
BabyReba
Regulator

Postby mommy2kane » Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:39 am

Cherry wrote:

Started our dogs on this a month ago and they LOVE it. We feed raw, but supplement with The Honest Kitchen "Preference" formula. It's a bit expensive at $50 for a big box, but it will last our 5 dogs approximately 2 months since it's just an added supplement. We already feed meat, organs and bones, so the "Preference" formula is just an added extra to ensure a complete meal. So in that sense, it's not a bad deal!
mommy2kane
Addicted to PBF

PreviousNext

Return to Health Issues