Bully Max......&...... Blue Buffalo

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Bully Max......&...... Blue Buffalo

Postby tigerstripe11 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:30 pm

i dont think it could be too healthy for dogs. i know a lot of stuff like this, for humans, is hard on the liver and what not. what is everyones opinion on it?
I'm just curious because i see it everywhere i see when im on the internet looking at pitbull stuff.

Also, i feed my pup Blue Buffalo large breed puppy. Everyone says it's great food, but it doesnt seem to agree with his tummy. He has random stool with it....some soft, some really soft, and some runny. And his gas is HORRIBLE. he's only been on it for 2 weeks, first week it was mixed with his old food. I need advice!
tigerstripe11
Newborn Bully

Re: Bully Max......&...... Blue Buffalo

Postby star_frances » Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:43 pm

tigerstripe11 wrote:i dont think it could be too healthy for dogs. i know a lot of stuff like this, for humans, is hard on the liver and what not. what is everyones opinion on it?
I'm just curious because i see it everywhere i see when im on the internet looking at pitbull stuff.

Bunch of garbage. I'd not bother with it. At best it's nothing you can't get with a good complete diet. At worst, well, it could certainly be harmful. Some here (myself included) do use supplements, but more on the line of fish oil, vit e, coconut oil, etc. (depending on the individual dog's issues and needs).

tigerstripe11 wrote:Also, i feed my pup Blue Buffalo large breed puppy. Everyone says it's great food, but it doesnt seem to agree with his tummy. He has random stool with it....some soft, some really soft, and some runny. And his gas is HORRIBLE. he's only been on it for 2 weeks, first week it was mixed with his old food. I need advice!

I'd maybe take the switch a little slower. Should go slowly over the course of about 2 weeks. Try mixing in a little bit of plain canned pumpkin - it can help and definitely won't hurt. If that doesn't seem to help, try a slow switch onto something else. Taste of the Wild is what I feed and I have been happy with it, but there are lots of good quality food options out there.
star_frances
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:52 pm

Have you had his stool checked for parasites?
AllisonPitbullLvr
Regulator

Postby tigerstripe11 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:52 pm

star_frances wrote:
I'd maybe take the switch a little slower. Should go slowly over the course of about 2 weeks. Try mixing in a little bit of plain canned pumpkin - it can help and definitely won't hurt. If that doesn't seem to help, try a slow switch onto something else. Taste of the Wild is what I feed and I have been happy with it, but there are lots of good quality food options out there.

The fast switch was not intentional. I ended up having less of his old food then i thought i did :/
tigerstripe11
Newborn Bully

Postby tigerstripe11 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:53 pm

AllisonPibbleLvr wrote:Have you had his stool checked for parasites?

No i have not. He only started having loose stool when i started him on Blue.
tigerstripe11
Newborn Bully

Postby Mooresmajestic » Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:41 pm

It could just be the food. I know of a lot of dogs that don't do well on Blue Buffalo, loose stools and gas. Not sure why, but dogs either do great on it or have poop issues, there is usually no in between. Even my garbage disposal of a dog gets loose stools on Blue Buffalo and it makes my oldest sick.
Mooresmajestic
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:24 am

Tigerstripe, I would have his stool checked first and if he is parasite free, consider dealing with the food issue.

Diarrhea sucks. My foster hasn't had a normal poop since we brought her back home. So I feel your pain. lol
AllisonPitbullLvr
Regulator

Postby rubyandstewiesmom » Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:06 pm

Blue never agreed with my pups either. I feed chicken soup dog food and the honest kitchen food. half and half and I couldn't be happier!
rubyandstewiesmom
Newborn Bully

Postby Adrianne » Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:40 pm

Sigh, I loved blue for my dogs but the cost killed us. I fed only the grain free as well. However, TOTW is a huge fav for people and my dogs all looked, smelled, and felt gross on it so it's possible some feeds - even good ones - aren't for every dog.

Maybe try another food if the vet checks out as nothing medically incorrect.
Adrianne
Regulator

Return to Health Issues