Tucker doesn't like kibble ...

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Tucker doesn't like kibble ...

Postby Adrianne » Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:58 am

I feed THK and Grandma Lucy, for 4 dogs these both last 1 week for me when fed alone.

I didn't catch the whole thread (it's early lol) but I soak my kibble in warm water and often add table scraps for fun. That could help excite a picky eater?

Eta I also have wellness core and my dogs seem to be wild about it.
Adrianne
Regulator

Re: Tucker doesn't like kibble ...

Postby BabyReba » Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:05 pm

well, this weekend he went from turning his nose up to his kibble to turning his nose up at even canned food, which is definitely NOT normal. by last night, i was concerned, so we took him to the vet this morning ... they're running a CBC, T4 and doing some urinalysis and checking him out. hopefully it's nothing more than being picky, but he did lose a couple of pounds over the past week of being weird about food, so that's not good. vital signs were all good, fecal was normal, so they gave us some hi-cal nutritional supplement and some appetite stimulant to give him for the next couple of days, and they said they'd call us tomorrow with results from his bloodwork.

fingers crossed that he really is just being weird and finicky and that he's not actually sick.
BabyReba
Regulator

Postby FransterDoo » Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:30 pm

Glad you took him in for a panel. Hoping that he's just being nutnut button again and it's not something medical.
FransterDoo
Addicted to PBF

Postby star_frances » Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:09 pm

BabyReba wrote:fingers crossed that he really is just being weird and finicky and that he's not actually sick.

Sending good thoughts your way. :hug:
star_frances
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby heartbullies » Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:27 pm

Oh, Tucker. Thinking good thoughts for our scraggly-toothed friend.

Sent from my ATRIX using Tapatalk
heartbullies
Regulator

Postby dogs4jen » Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:57 pm

I sure hope he's okay.
dogs4jen
Forum Junky

Postby BabyReba » Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:52 am

jeez, Tucker's vet just called and scared the bejeezus out of me.

the woman who called sounded so sad and serious and hesitant that i immediately worried, and she was asking me questions about how he was feeling and whether he was eating since we gave him the appetite pills, and i finally blurted out, "what did the bloodwork say?"

she was like, "oh we don't have any results yet, i was just calling to see how he was feeling today."

i was certain she was going to tell me that he was gravely ill, the way she was sounding/acting. total false alarm. lady needs to seriously work on her delivery!

anyway, no news yet, but he loves the nutritional supplement and it's making button completely and totally jealous because he can't have it and desperately, desperately wants some. lol
BabyReba
Regulator

Postby Amie » Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:47 pm

AURRRGH! I had a vet do that to me with Cash (the kitten) when she left a voice mail that sounded like the next sentence out of her mouth was going to be "three weeks to live" and then finished with "Lower Urinary Tract Disease. Okay, well, thanks and have a great day!" I will never go to that vet again.

Hopefully you get results soon!
Amie
Regulator

Postby buckaroo » Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:37 pm

Amie wrote:AURRRGH! I had a vet do that to me with Cash (the kitten) when she left a voice mail that sounded like the next sentence out of her mouth was going to be "three weeks to live" and then finished with "Lower Urinary Tract Disease. Okay, well, thanks and have a great day!" I will never go to that vet again.

Hopefully you get results soon!

To be fair, for many cat owners FLUTD is pretty much a death sentence if the cat was lucky enough to make it to the vet at all and not kicked out for being 'spiteful'.
buckaroo
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Amie » Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:46 pm

Yeah, thanks, I get that cats get surrendered for improper ellimination. Since it was a vet saying this and not giving and further information about after care, prognosis, or anything else, what part about that was "being unfair"?
Amie
Regulator

Postby spammie » Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:32 pm

Mr. Tucker, you feel better soon. Hope the labs come back OK.
spammie
Regulator

Postby BabyReba » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:57 pm

Hmm. Well, so far we know Tucker is anemic but they aren't sure why because everything else is normal. They're going to spend some more time going over his file and results and call me back later with some next steps for diagnostics. They had suggested fleas, but we haven't seen a flea on him in a long time (a year, maybe?) and I flea combed the hell out of him and didn't find any evidence of anything at all ... no dirt, no fleas. Nothing on the other dogs, either. So I doubt it could be fleas making him anemic. I will do a Capstar and fresh Frontline application, just in case, but still seems highly unlikely that this could be the issue.

I'm not panicking yet, but I'm definitely concerned.
BabyReba
Regulator

Postby dogs4jen » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:40 pm

Maybe you should have his stool checked for parasites, they can cause anemia. Hookworm, for example.
dogs4jen
Forum Junky

Postby BabyReba » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:41 pm

we did that, and it came back clear, though i'm going to do a preventative worming tonight, just to be on the safe side ... i'll probably do all the dogs, in fact.
BabyReba
Regulator

Postby dogs4jen » Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:20 pm

That's good! What about NSAIDS, is he on any of those?
dogs4jen
Forum Junky

PreviousNext

Return to Health Issues