Supplements and Vitamins

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Supplements and Vitamins

Postby NYPDiddy » Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:43 pm

what are good supplements to get for the dog?
NYPDiddy
Newborn Bully

Re: Supplements and Vitamins

Postby star_frances » Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:38 pm

There's a few good threads on this topic in the Health section.

It really depends on the dog's individual needs, allergies, medical considerations, etc. What are you wanting the supplements for?

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=152004&p=1991950&hilit=supplements#p1991950

http://www.pitbullforum.com/viewtopic.p ... +oil+vit+e

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=151773

And here's a big raw feeding thread that discusses some different things:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=148939
star_frances
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby MkatUmich » Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:31 pm

Personally I have a hard enough time trusting the quality of supplements made for me, no way am I going to trust the quality of a brand made for my dog. So when I have given my dogs supplements they get it from the same bottle I do. Now obviously there are cases where they need stuff especially formulated for a dog, pro-biotics for instance, and they certainly can't take some human medicines. But I just started Starry on fish oil for her GI issues and she gets the same one I get by a brand that I am more likely to trust.
MkatUmich
Newborn Bully

Postby star_frances » Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:39 am

MkatUmich wrote:Personally I have a hard enough time trusting the quality of supplements made for me, no way am I going to trust the quality of a brand made for my dog. So when I have given my dogs supplements they get it from the same bottle I do. Now obviously there are cases where they need stuff especially formulated for a dog, pro-biotics for instance, and they certainly can't take some human medicines.

Here's something to consider, though. Supplements made for animals are regulated by the FDA. Supplements made for humans are not. Just food for thought, pun intended.

On that note though, I do give my dog the same human-grade supplements I take. She gets a glucosamine/MSM supplement and hemp oil (she's allergic to fish).

MkatUmich wrote:But I just started Starry on fish oil for her GI issues and she gets the same one I get by a brand that I am more likely to trust.

Make sure you are giving vit e with the fish oil, as fish oil can cause a vit e deficiency over time. Some fish oil products have it added in already, so check your bottle.
star_frances
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby KingofDiamonds » Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:31 pm

i give Kelp and Diatomaceous Earth ....id like to give K9 feedessentials....but cant find any at the moment...and when i dont have fish oils..ill usually give some raw fish about once a week or two weeks
KingofDiamonds
Newborn Bully

Postby NYPDiddy » Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:19 pm

anyone use bullymax
NYPDiddy
Newborn Bully

Postby Mooresmajestic » Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:34 pm

No, but checking out the ingredients it just looks like a waste of money. There isn't anything in there that is actually needed, or that the dog wouldn't get from a high quality food. Other than (ironically) milk product, which is silly because dogs are lactose intollerant. Also it doesn't have any of the ones you would actually want like glucosamine/condroitin/msm fish oil with vitamin e. Also on a side note, any company that uses porely bred genetic nightmares that are grossly overweight to advertise their product.... I wouldn't look twice at. They can't even get the "safe age for use" straight. One page says 7wks another says 9wks, and the spelling and grammar is atrocious. The people that make/support this are some of the biggest AmBully puppy mills out there, and they think nothing of breeding a 6month old dog.

Why do you think your dog needs a supplement anyway? Most dogs don't.
Mooresmajestic
Bully Lover 4 Life

Return to Health Issues