Pup being picky about eating Eagle Pack..

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Pup being picky about eating Eagle Pack..

Postby Iwata_Graffiti » Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:26 am

We got her(Molly) a little early at 6 weeks old, The lady we got her from was feeding her purina and sent us home with a few cans. When I noticed she was able to eat dry food at about 8 weeks old ( I seen her eating dry cat food,TeeHee).. I slowly mixed in the the dry Eagle pack with the can purina.. Most of the time she eats it all and sometimes she's picky. She still seems to do that at the age of 7 mo's. The way she eats iv been feeding her 3times a day with a total of 3 cups, that she dosnt eat it all and once and a wile she will skip a meal. She's at no means skinny, she just turned 7mo's at about 75lbs, yea she's a big lol girl. But not fat!!
Being that she's almost on adult food ( Eagle power ) I'm not looking to jump around or switch brands, so looking around this site, a read about the frozen foods. I went looking for "American butcher" but only found "Natural Variety". And have a patti in the fridge defrosting for the AM.
What do you guys think about the Natural Variety?? the Eagle pack and Eagle Power ?? A Fam friend that owns a pet shop in Brookly raves about it.. Iv heard alot of good reviews when I looked into it, but someone on a forum called it a decent mid-grade food, is this true? When looking on this site, I don't see more then 5 people talking about Eagle. Alot of people here seem to like Timberwolf, TOTW, wellness and Blue buff..
A few mo's ago I had my mom dog sit for me. Yeaaaaaarrrrs ago she use to shoe great Danes, so she thinks she's has a dog PHD. and told me she chopped up 2 slices of boarsHead natural turkey in each meal.... I'm not sure about this, so I don't do it. But was wondering how bad it really is ???? When I look at the stuff I feed my last dog it's ALL JUNK!! and he lived to 13 years old. How bad can 2slices of BoarsHead natural turkey, really copped up mixed in with Eagle pack ??

Thanks for any help, and I gotta say I love this place, can believe it took me 7mo's to find it..

Tj
Iwata_Graffiti
Newborn Bully

Re: Pup being picky about eating Eagle Pack..

Postby Iwata_Graffiti » Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:15 pm

Ok so the "Natural Verity" didn't work.. So I picked up a bag of Wellness Core. They also had Wellness Super5 or something like that, but it had less protein so I went with the Core. It came down to Wellness or TOTW, my store had the 2 of them. But two people who work there said Wellness!! And the vet said he uses Wellness too.
Iwata_Graffiti
Newborn Bully

Postby Iwata_Graffiti » Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:18 pm

Just feed her and she picked out EVERY kible of Wellness ! I used a 70 to 30% Wellness, at 1 1/4 cup of food. Iv been feedin her 3times a day, just cuz the way she's been eating. But after her transition I'll prob just feed her 2 times a day. I'll keep ya updated on her transition. :hi
Iwata_Graffiti
Newborn Bully

Postby jamielvsaustin » Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:22 pm

The first thing I would suggest is to stop switching foods so quickly. You're going to mess her insides all up and you're going to have liquid poo everywhere. Also, I'd be concerned you're creating a picky eater...if she knows you'll give her something better once she doesn't eat her normal food, she could catch on to that and wait for it.

The rule of thumb is that a healthy dog won't starve itself, so if she's not eating it simply could be because she's not hungry.

To me (and this might just be personal experience) 3 cups a day sounds a little too much, and depending on the type of PB your dog is 75lbs at 7 months could be overweight.

If you're feeding a higher quality of kibble then the idea is that the dog will eat less and still feel just as full because there aren't a bunch of fillers in the food. And then you have less poop too!

Sometimes adding warm water to the food can make it more enticing...it's smellier that way and might smell tasty to the dog. Every once in a while in our house we add an egg to the dogs' meal. I don't think the boar's head would hurt the dog at all, but I don't know if it'd be beneficial.
jamielvsaustin
Regulator

Postby Iwata_Graffiti » Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:02 pm

I only switched foods once! Not 5 times.. And that was today. The only other thing I tried was the mixing in the frozen Natural Varitey with her Eagle, No other dog food was given to her. I completely agree that switching foods is bad! She dose everything ok with out problems. I only wanted to switch because she really didnt like the Eagle, THATS ALL. I had her at the vet today shes 7mo at 75lbs, and the vet said she's not fat or over weight, she's just a big dog. Thanks again I'll keep ya posted
Iwata_Graffiti
Newborn Bully

Postby starrlamia » Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:59 pm

I switch my dogs food monthly, every time we run out of a bag I buy a different kind or flavour because my bully is super super picky, he hates most kibble but we have had good luck with Go! Fish formula.

The amount of food you feed will vary from dog to dog and by the kind of food. My bully is about 44lbs and eats 1.5-2 cups a day while my BT cross is only 23lbs and eats 1 cup a day. It depends on metabolism and activity. Wellness is a decent brand, I really like TOTW, Acana and GO!

Vets are used to seeing overweight pets, if you want you can post a picture (side view) and we can give you an idea of whether we think she is an appropriate weight or not.
starrlamia
Addicted to PBF

Postby Iwata_Graffiti » Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:49 pm

My dog runs around a 1700 acres of fram and a lake on the property too.. She's alwas running behind the trackers or dirtbikes, Very active! When I went to the pet shop I had two brands in mind, Wellness Core or TOTW.. figures I piced the opposite one that people here are saying to buy! But my vet and pet shop manger bolth said the use Wellness. And she really seems to like the Wellness so I'm sticking with it. If I where to go to the pet shop and pic up TOTW, she more then likely woldnt eat it, LOL thanks again and I'll keep ya posted! :cheers:
Iwata_Graffiti
Newborn Bully

Postby star_frances » Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:48 am

Iwata_Graffiti wrote:My dog runs around a 1700 acres of fram and a lake on the property too.. She's alwas running behind the trackers or dirtbikes, Very active! When I went to the pet shop I had two brands in mind, Wellness Core or TOTW.. figures I piced the opposite one that people here are saying to buy! But my vet and pet shop manger bolth said the use Wellness. And she really seems to like the Wellness so I'm sticking with it. If I where to go to the pet shop and pic up TOTW, she more then likely woldnt eat it, LOL thanks again and I'll keep ya posted! :cheers:

Wellness is a good food, if your dog likes it and does well on it that's just fine =)
star_frances
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby starrlamia » Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:31 am

:goodpost:
starrlamia
Addicted to PBF

Return to Health Issues