Tucker doesn't like kibble ...

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Re: Tucker doesn't like kibble ...

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:19 pm

I don't know how I've missed this thread.

Sending very best healing wishes to Tucker and strength to you my friend. Please keep us posted.

:hug:
AllisonPitbullLvr
Regulator

Tucker doesn't like kibble ...

Postby BabyReba » Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:42 pm

Well, ultrasound was inconclusive but it did tell us one important thing: no heart mass! Thank god. If he had a hemangiosarcoma in his heart the prognosis would have been very bad.

They biopsied his enlarged spleen but the tissues appeared normal so they aren't expecting anything big to come of it.

Do we wait for more test results, checking to see if his anemia is regenerative or not (and whether it is worsening or staying stable) and going from there.

Auto-immune disorders are possibly things to look for, as are intestinal absorption issues. But one day at a time.

Happy to be home, but tired.

And of course Button had to give him a hard sniff to find out what he was up to all day. button is the excited blur in this photo!

BabyReba
Regulator

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:55 pm

Whoohoo! Good news!
AllisonPitbullLvr
Regulator

Postby FBODGRL » Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:00 pm

Sorry there are no real answers yet.

But great news about his heart!

I hate to even suggest this, but is it possible he has a tumor elsewhere? When my Zoee had her large tumor in her abdomen she was anemic and my vet said it was because of that. Hopefully that is not even a possibility for Tucker.

How is he acting and feeling today?

You all are in my thoughts. Hopefully they can get it figured out.
FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby Red » Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:21 pm

Poor little Tucker.He is lucky he has a good mom beside him.Let's hope for more clear test results soon.
Red
Addicted to PBF

Postby julie64 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:43 pm

Very happy to hear no heart mass. I hope you get some solid answers soon.
Poor Tucker looks tired from his busy day.
julie64
Addicted to PBF

Postby Amie » Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:25 pm

Good for Tucker! Several years ago, Trevor had an illness that kills most cats. He obviously lived, but in the process of diagnosing it, we learned that one of his kidneys is about half the size of the other. We never did find out what that was, but it doesn't seem to affect him. He's just wonky.

Maybe Tucker is just wonky in his spleen, and whatever else is going on will be simple. I hope so. Love to you all.
Amie
Regulator

Postby Murfins » Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:37 pm

Very good news about his heart being okay and the tissue biopsy appearing normal. Continued positive thoughts for Tucker!
Murfins
Addicted to PBF

Postby patty » Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:27 pm

I hope this mystery is solved soon!! Will be thinking of you and Tucker. His pout is adorable.
patty
Forum Junky

Postby Leslie H » Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:34 pm

Well, it sounds like all the answers you've had so far are positive. I hope that continues to be the case. Stay strong Tucker.
Leslie H
Regulator

Postby HappyPuppy » Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:40 pm

I'm so glad to hear there is no heart mass!! I hope you can get some answers soon! (he does look relieved to be home!)
HappyPuppy
Addicted to PBF

Postby spammie » Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:41 pm

I'm relieved his heart looks good. Hoping for more positive results. Hugs to you and Tucker
spammie
Regulator

Postby BabyReba » Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:11 am

So Tucker seems to be pretty much stable right now -- he's not getting better, he's not getting worse. We've been trying to get him to eat, which has been a chore.

He is very interested in food when I'm preparing it, so I think he wants to eat, but he seems to want to eat mostly bland foods. He's OK with yogurt and cottage cheese and oatmeal and mashed potato and cooked chicken but not chicken broth or anything processed with chicken in it. If I try to mix kibble in with anything, he will not touch it at all. If he detects kibble, he'll leave a whole bowl of amazing, delicious chicken livers untouched. He also won't eat any beef -- no canned beef dog foods, and he's stopped wanting cooked beef, too.

He usually loves bananas, but he won't eat them now. He will, however, eat bland, dry dog biscuits. The generic kind made with mostly wheat flour and a bit of flavoring.

It's like he's drawn to bland and doesn't want anything with strong flavor. It's sort of weird.
BabyReba
Regulator

Postby Amie » Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:17 am

Sometimes animals eat something, get sick, and associate the sickness with what they ate, even if it didn't cause the illness. Cats do this a lot and will actually starve themselves rather than eat what they think might be poisoned food. I wonder if Tucker thinks the good tasting stuff makes him feel bad?
Amie
Regulator

Postby Sarah » Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:39 am

Maybe bland is what he needs? Occasionally, dogs do crave what is good for them. I had a friend who switched her dogs to raw, and had one that wouldn't eat it. She waited the dog out until it ate, and the dog got massively sick off of it. She knew it wasn't good for her. (I think my friend did eventually find raw stuff the dog could eat, but she just stayed on kibble for the first while)

Can't recall what you said you were trying with Tucker (on my phone, it's hard to read back) but maybe he would do okay on something like SD ID for a while. The canned version is what I'm thinking of. It's a pretty bland food. So is the kibble, but he probably wouldn't eat it.
Sarah
Dabbling Dog Coddler

PreviousNext

Return to Health Issues