Hello all! this may be long and rambling but i am a brand new pittie momma. we picked up our boy from the shelter on friday and he'd been there about 2 weeks. he came from another home, not a stray. he is verrrrry well-behaved. he has some skin issues though that are breaking my heart. his nose is scaley and he has a few abrasions on the top of his snout he seems to be opening/irritating with his nails. he also has painful looking crusty scabbed areas on the back of one of his front ankles and the side of one of his back feet. i want to make sure i am doing everything i can to provide some relief. he's blue in color and i read a few things online that said they're prone to skin issues.
1. we took him to the vet saturday and he noticed the skin issues also. he sent us home with medicated shampoo. he also said we could vaseline his dry nose, which we've been doing several times a day. he said once his kennel cough is cleared up and he's neutered we can bring him back for a skin check-up. (we pulled him from the shelter since his kennel cough wasn't clearing up in there and have to take him back sunday to get fixed.)
2. we are switching him over from science diet (what he was sent home with) to the same food as our other dogs - nutro grain free venison. he loves the taste and i feel like better food may help with his skin.
3. he is settling in nicely. appetite has picked up and he seems pretty happy around here. trying to keep him stress free and relaxed b/c i know stress can trigger skin issues.
4. we got him multi-vitamins that include all the good skin vitamins and started giving him those saturday.
5. he is getting his first bath with the medicated shampoo tonight.
6. i put some vaseline on his foot scabs too last night but feel like i could get something better for them. ideas?
thank you everyone in advance!