Lumps on Honey

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Lumps on Honey

Postby TrainTrax » Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:20 am

I don't really post here very often and I rarely post about my own dogs. Not for any real reason. I suppose. However, about a week or so ago, I noticed a lump on Honey's back. Didn't think much of it at the time. I'm not the kind of person who runs my dogs to the vet for every little issue. Ive got two pit bulls, bumps and scratches are every day occurrences lol. Not to mention, neither of them are the most graceful beasts. So, I assumed during one of her rough and tumble moments, she had hit something and got a bump. Figured I'd give it a few days to go down. No big deal. A couple of days ago, I noticed it's larger and has taken on a truly odd shape. It had started as just a bump, now it's almost horseshoe shaped.

She goes to the vet on Tuesday to be checked out. I am literally shaking until then. Everything about her seems fine. Eating, drinking and behaving normally. I don't see any signs of it causing her pain. She still wrestles Madre without a problem. But this dog also had her ear almost ripped in half by a Labrador as a puppy and acted as if nothing happened. So, if she's in pain, she probably wouldn't show it.

If it turns out to be something serious, I'll never forgive myself for waiting a week to get it checked out. This dog is my life, she's everything to me. God, she won't even be four until April. I think what's really freaking me out is that the lump is on her hip, really close to her spine. I always pictured her being around for a really long time. Pointing and laughing at her gray muzzle as I dye the gray out of mine lol. I hope I'm overreacting and that it's nothing. But if PBF has taught me anything, it's that all the great dogs leave us way before they should;

Some good thoughts would be nice. Honey has her issues but goddamn she's a fantastic dog. I'm honored to let her sleep in my bed.

Here's some pictures of the lump.

And one of Honey...being Honey. She loves to bury herself, I swear she's part gopher.
TrainTrax
Bully Lover 4 Life

Re: Lumps on Honey

Postby julie64 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 5:56 am

Lots of good thoughts coming for you and Honey. Please keep us updated on her vet visit.
I hate lumps. : (
julie64
Addicted to PBF

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:28 am

Fingers, toes, tails and eyes crossed that it's nothing. :pray :hug:
AllisonPitbullLvr
Regulator

Postby patty » Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:43 am

All my very best positive thoughts sent for Honey. Will be thinking of you.
patty
Forum Junky

Postby Savage Destiny » Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:09 pm

*hugs* We'll be sending good vibes and keeping you guys in our thoughts! Hopefully it's just nothing. It could be just a cyst or a fatty deposit. Keep us updated!
Savage Destiny
Bully Ambassador

Postby HappyPuppy » Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:18 pm

That is an unusual shape. I try not to worry until I have a reason... best wishes that this is not a big reason!!!
HappyPuppy
Addicted to PBF

Lumps on Honey

Postby TrainTrax » Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:25 pm

Yeah I've never seen a lump that shape. It's so weird and so close to her spine. I do NOT like the look of it.

Thanks for the well wishes. I wish I could bring her in earlier than Tuesday but that's my very next day off. Until then, I'll be pulling my hair out lol.
TrainTrax
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby star_frances » Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:56 pm

Sending lots of good thoughts to you and precious Honey. :hug:
star_frances
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby dogs4jen » Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:50 pm

Sending good thoughts too.
dogs4jen
Forum Junky

Postby jamielvsaustin » Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:05 am

Please be sure to let us know how it goes. Happy healing thoughts sent!
jamielvsaustin
Regulator

Postby Ilovethepits » Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:41 am

Honey is in my healing thoughts and prayers.
Ilovethepits
Addicted to PBF

Lumps on Honey

Postby TrainTrax » Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:54 am

I'll be sure to let everyone know how it goes. She may be going on Thursday instead. The vet tech that personally knows Honey will be there. Shes a friend of the family. This little red beast is pretty anxiety ridden, so I try to make the vet as familiar to her as possible. Helps a lot when Destiny is our tech. But she's gonna stop by the house tonight and give this thing a lookover. Depending on what she thinks, I'll either keep the Tuesday appointment or go on Thursday.

The lump hasn't really changed much but I saw the grossest thing on it last night. I noticed honey scratching the daylights out of her butt and went to inspect. There was a solid six or seven fleas feasting on the middle of this thing. Mind you, my dogs are all given comfortis religiously and my cats are on liquid preventative as well. I can assume they got the fleas from the yard. Living in sunny south Florida, being surrounded by woods and neighbors with dogs makes it nearly impossible to get the fleas out of the yard I'd presume. We spray back there and haven't really noticed any jumping on me but I wouldn't be surprised. And I'm assuming that's where they came from. It was so disgusting. I gave her and Madre both flea checks after that. Madre was clear and that was the only spot the fleas were on Honey. What the hell? I checked honey an Madre this morning, both flea clear again. I don't get it. Boggles my mind.

I took this picture where this lump is really obvious last night before bed.

TrainTrax
Bully Lover 4 Life

Lumps on Honey

Postby TrainTrax » Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:56 pm

Got back from the vet a bit ago and I must say he was amused and relieved at my utter panic about this lump. It's only a cyst thank god, so I can stop worrying for a bit lol.

Thanks to everyone for the good wishes! Honey got a Wendy's cheeseburger and some cow hooves. She thinks she won the lottery. Silly red dog has no idea that she actually won the lottery in a roundabout way lol
TrainTrax
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby GoingPostal » Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:16 pm

Good to hear, kind of amazed the vet thought you were nuts though, who wouldn't be freaking out about a big lump on their dog?
GoingPostal
Forum Junky

Lumps on Honey

Postby TrainTrax » Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:06 pm

GoingPostal wrote:Good to hear, kind of amazed the vet thought you were nuts though, who wouldn't be freaking out about a big lump on their dog?

Well part of the big lump is her hip bones. The area around it is inflamed a bit because of the cyst. So that takes away the odd shape to the lump. He just thought it was funny because of how I was panicking in the exam room. To the vet it wasn't a big thing because it was just a cyst. I guess he didn't look at it from my perspective lol. Maybe after a while you become jaded to the owner lol.

I'm just glad she's fine,
TrainTrax
Bully Lover 4 Life

Next

Return to Health Issues