Bumpy Back?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Bumpy Back?

Postby calimonster » Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:28 pm

Cali had her vaccinations on Saturday, and had a microchip put in. She was also bathed and groomed. Everything has been fine but last night I noticed that she has bumps on her back. They aren't painful as far as I can tell. When I part her hair, they don't appear to be red. I figured that if it were a reaction to the shots or the grooming that it would have shown up sooner. The only thing that is different is that Sunday night I gave her new dog treat that was ham. She doesn't have a problem with any other pork treats or even ham deli meat (i know I shouldn't but I'm weak).
any thoughts? I was going to get some benadryl on my way home and if there's still a problem give her some of that.
calimonster
Newborn Bully

Re: Bumpy Back?

Postby chinchi_&_chupa » Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:38 pm

How many bumps? Are they all over her back or just where she got her injections?
chinchi_&_chupa
Matured Bully

Postby calimonster » Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:57 pm

There are probably a dozen bumps (total) down her back and on both sides so not just where the injections were. There are none on her face, neck, front legs, belly, or inside of rear legs.
calimonster
Newborn Bully

Postby ams036 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:24 pm

This is what happens to my dog Grace when she breaks out into hives. They are usually VERY itchy, you can tell if you go to itch them for her, she is just so grateful. When we go into the vet (when they are BAD) she gets a steroid shot (I limit those), some hydroxyzine and we also use a topical ointment as well. The OTC benadryl spray seems to be the least messy and most effective for her. You can use benadryl as well but when they get bad I find they get under control much quicker with a vet trip. It could have been the soap she was groomed with, the shots, anything really.
ams036
Adolescent Bully

Postby chinchi_&_chupa » Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:34 am

:goodpost: agreed! You should talk to your vet about how much benadryl if you are giving it orally and the spray can help too, but if they don't go away in a few days, you should get to the vet and stick with hypoallergenic shampoos for baths - I like the Earthbath line.
chinchi_&_chupa
Matured Bully

Postby calimonster » Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:42 am

Thanks for the help.
I gave her benadryl tabs for a few days and the bumps are all gone. Yay!!
calimonster
Newborn Bully

Postby goldenstatefan » Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:45 pm

Yeah...my dogs have had that issue a couple of times....benedryl takes care of it, just be careful with doseage.
goldenstatefan
Newborn Bully

Return to Health Issues