Managing hip dysplasia

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Managing hip dysplasia

Postby cinder06 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:25 pm

Thunder is my 5.5 year old male pit bull. He's had noticeable hip dysplasia for a year now. He's on supplements and pain medication as needed.

Now I am thinking about getting him one of these:

http://www.orthodog.com/dog_hip_dysplas ... braces.cfm

Your thoughts on it? Do you think it really works?

I was just talking to my sister about making a wrap for him so his legs don't go out and so he has more stability, then decided...someone has probably made something just for this and did a google search and came up with this.
cinder06
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Re: Managing hip dysplasia

Postby suzanne » Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:14 am

I have no ideas about the brace... but I want to know what kind of supplements you're using? Is he constantly on pain medication? The brace looks like a really neat and helpful device but I can't say I've ever seen one before.

I have a dog with crappy hips, she has no muscle mass on her hind end, she is turning 7 this year. I have had her on Adequan for a little over a whole year. I did not give a loading dose and I from the start having been giving the injections sub-q. My dog benefited from the injections within the first or second month. I decided to start giving it after a weekend that she spent crying every time she moved. I'm leery of using NSAIDS and blowing out her liver or kidneys. On occasion I will give her tramadol if she's been particularly active. Even on Adequan she does get sore, but nothing like it was before the Adequan. Every once in a while I will give some Rimadyl [NSAID] but only to bring inflammation down if she's been overly active.

Adequan is my number one joint supplement go to. It lasts her almost a full four weeks inbetween and I have been really happy with it.
suzanne
Adolescent Bully

Postby Libby » Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:35 am

I bought that brace for my dog Gypsy (rip) and it seemed to make her much more uncomfortable than just not wearing one. Granted, I got it for both HD and for spondylosis, but it, in my opinion, was a waste of money.

What seemed to help Gypsy the most was keeping her on joint suppliments, and then towards the end of her life (her HD and spondylosis had nothing to do with her death, btw) she was on pain management.
Libby
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:49 pm

We tend to see a lot of pressure sores and discomfort with the sling type supports, and they are recommended as a last ditch effort.

You are better off doing Glucosamin/chondroitin, fatty acid supplement, anti-inflammatories (NSAIDs safe for dogs with medical supervision), and appropriate exercise to maintain core strength.

Rehab therapy is excellent if it is available in your area, and so is laser and occasionally acupuncture.
Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby patty » Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:09 pm

What has helped my old man with his hip dysplasia is Glucosamin/chondroitin, daily 2 mile walks, nightly massages with leg stretches and keeping his weight down. Some people say he looks too thin. His lower spin is visible and his hip bones protrude slightly. Like your boy he has no muscle tone in his hind legs. But since he has been at this "light" weight he does have more spring in his step. I have caught him jumping up in the planter we have in the backyard, something he never could have done 2 years ago.
patty
Forum Junky

Postby cinder06 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:38 pm

Thunder takes dasequin its a soft chew glucosamine hydrochloride, sodium chondroitin sulfate, avocado/soybean unsaponifiables.

He also takes deramaxx NSAID pain relief 100 mg once daily.

And tramadol 50mg as needed.

Thunder is so clumsy he runs into walls, falls off couch, slips on his own feet...I thought maybe the brace would help him but I'm glad I asked first. I will continue his supplments and find out about those therapies.
cinder06
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Return to Health Issues