Chronic diarrhea.

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Chronic diarrhea.

Postby Libby » Sun Mar 04, 2012 3:22 pm

So, as many of you will recall, Conway had parvo when he was only five or six weeks old. He recovered quickly and seemed to have no other problems.

However, we've been battling bouts of diarrhea every other week, at LEAST, since then. No change in diet, no odd treats, nothing unusual--but he will STILL get very watery diarrhea in what seems to be a random way.

When I put him on Flagyl (Metronidazole I *think) it clears it up right away, but within a few days being off it, the diarrhea comes back.

He tested clear for coccidia, giardia, or any other parasites in his stool.

I'm thinking maybe he just has GI problems? He is still active, has a good appetite and has a shiny coat. He never acts like he is ill, but because of this constant diarrhea, he IS thin.

Conway when he was being treated for parvo.

Conway now, at about four months.

Libby
Addicted to PBF

Re: Chronic diarrhea.

Postby starrlamia » Sun Mar 04, 2012 4:01 pm

Grendel was like that as a pup, have you tried changing the food he is on? Grendel can only handle certain foods, have you tried probiotics?

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk
starrlamia
Addicted to PBF

Postby Libby » Sun Mar 04, 2012 4:08 pm

He's always been on TOTW High Prairie. Some people on another forum suggested switching brands entirely, so tomorrow I'm going to go pick up a bag of blue buffalo (the only other good brand we have here in Gallup) and see how he does on it.
Libby
Addicted to PBF

Postby Libby » Sun Mar 04, 2012 4:09 pm

Excuse me, that isn't true. We also have Diamond Naturals, so I will try that if the Blue Buffalo doesn't seem to work out.
Libby
Addicted to PBF

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Sun Mar 04, 2012 4:35 pm

Libby can you run a diarrhea panel at work? We have been seeing a ton of cases of cryptosporidium and another bacteria (forget the name!) overgrowths and we think thats what was going on with Ava. We put her on tylocin and a high fibre diet (it changes the pH in the intestine o make it less desirable for bacteria) and it cleared up.

Poor little Conway.
AllisonPitbullLvr
Regulator

Postby GoingPostal » Sun Mar 04, 2012 4:56 pm

I'm following along, Ripley lately has had 3 bouts of soft serve in the last 5-6 weeks, but I think her's is sensitive stomach and seeing as she will eat anything...last time James gave all the dogs a quarter of a waffle and that was the only change I could figure out but it is stinky and the gas omg horrendous.
GoingPostal
Forum Junky

Postby Libby » Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:00 pm

That's Conway too, GoingPostal! I mean, poop stinks anyway but when he has diarrhea its like toxic. I have a pretty strong stomach but sometimes I have to fight off the gag reflex!

Allison, I will ask about that tomorrow.
Libby
Addicted to PBF

Postby Adrianne » Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:10 pm

We tested Sloan for everything and found the only thing to settle her and keep the weight at that age was blue buffalo puppy food. I might try switching entirely like someone else said...
Adrianne
Regulator

Postby dogs4jen » Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:08 pm

Austin had parvovirus and still has a very sensitive stomach even after a couple of years. Canned pumpkin really helped at first, and I give him yogurt too. I feed him Taste of the Wild, too, most of the time, I rotate once in a while.
dogs4jen
Forum Junky

Postby spammie » Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:14 pm

After you rule out everything medically, look at his diet. Kane can't eat most of the premium foods, they are "too rich" for him. He does best on Diamond Naturals.
spammie
Regulator

Postby Leslie H » Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:22 pm

Soleil's always been a PITA w/getting loose stools. I use probiotics. The vet had me start giving Xanny some sweet potato w/each meal, I started adding it to Soleil's also, this seems to help. If I give her too large a meal, it's a problem.I have to watch the treats I use. No tripe, almost no liver. She does best w/Fruitables (which has some pumpkin) and turkey heart.
Leslie H
Regulator

Postby GoingPostal » Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:45 pm

I should get some probiotics, what's a good brand? I was also thinking of trying to keep better track of what she eats, I hadn't brought her into the vet yet, wasn't sure if they could test with liquid poo, she's firmed up again now but I can't imagine she has worms or anything because wouldn't that show up before now? The first case all the dogs were sick that was the end of Jan, still don't know what that was, 2nd time was 2-3 weeks ago, right after Jersey had her surgery, I thought maybe it was new treats, gave her a lot to clip nails and this time probably the waffle but figured I would run a fecal just to double check. She's literally been fine for 6+ months and it's the middle of winter, she hasn't been around any other dogs. But I suppose could be bacteria stuff.
GoingPostal
Forum Junky

Postby starrlamia » Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:35 pm

We used fortiflora and it worked well.

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk
starrlamia
Addicted to PBF

Postby Leslie H » Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:11 pm

Leslie H
Regulator

Postby Brianna&Bubba. » Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:31 pm

Buddy also had constant diarrhea after being treated for parvo. So Im guessing it might be normal? Blue buffalo puppy made his stool soft but not diarrhea. When he was old enough to start adult food, his stool was perfectly fine. So I think Blue Buffalo is a good choice. Id like to know if it works out for you.
Brianna&Bubba.
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Next

Return to Health Issues