Switching from BARF to Dry diet - suggestions on food

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Re: Switching from BARF to Dry diet - suggestions on food

Postby MkatUmich » Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:58 pm

I've been giving Gauge Taste of the Wild without any complaints. He gets some raw too, right now three meals a week raw and the rest kibble. Probably eventually go to one kibble meal a day and one raw meal a day. Haven't had any messes in the house and while I might have missed an outside mess I haven't noticed one. If I want to give a treat to get him in the cage or something I just use the kibble.
MkatUmich
Newborn Bully

Postby Amie » Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:38 pm

When I use kibble I go to Taste of the Wild or even some of the LID diets you can get at Petco/Petsmart - Natural Balence, I think is one?
Amie
Regulator

Postby Maverick » Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:23 am

Thank you all for suggestions.
I erred on the side of caution and went with Acana instead of Orijen.
I got the formula that has two types of fish, whole egg, and free range chicken. I would feed these three things raw, so I figured it may be a nicer transition. Plus I love the formula. Reasonable cost.
I also got Zook training treats, salmon - and I got Charlie bear liver and cranberries. Neither are grain free, but considering the frequency of treats in our training, they needed to be very small, and the Zook treats are perfectly tiny.
Maverick
Matured Bully

Postby BabyReba » Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:24 am

do you mind if i ask whether you're training for something specific? just curious. i know of using a dog's daily rations to reward good behavior spontaneously all day long. is that what you guys are going to be doing?
BabyReba
Regulator

Postby Maverick » Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:10 am

Basically a NILF
He has to work for his meals. Reestablishing a foundation to work on his fear based DA.
Limiting his triggers and using "YES" as a marker. It's hard to explain without seeing it. We are not using commands, so he has to at least come to me or make eye contact when I call him. We do this with a high frequency over about 10 to 15 minutes each session.

Short walks and limited interaction with my other two dogs (he is fine with them) - in order to reduce any possible stimulus that may set him off.
Does this kind of make sense?

PM me if you want more details.
Maverick
Matured Bully

Postby BabyReba » Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:41 pm

no, it makes sense. i was just wondering if you had something specific you were trying to achieve. thanks.
BabyReba
Regulator

Postby pblove » Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:51 pm

I feed Acana , Orijen, Taste of the Wold, roate every couple bags here. I add fresh meats, fish, poultry and can tripe.
pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby Maverick » Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:18 pm

Once my guys are settled in to the new Acana diet, I will give them raw treats from time to time.
Nothing wrong with a nice salmon head from time to time (just open a window)
Maverick
Matured Bully

Postby Maverick » Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:19 pm

BabyReba wrote:no, it makes sense. i was just wondering if you had something specific you were trying to achieve. thanks.

No problem.
The training is pretty tough on me mentally. I feel like our whole world is upside down because he doesn't get as much time out, but I have to keep my eye on the long run.
The trainer said he is workable, but it will take alot of work and a big comittment. Which I am prepared for, although may not like all the time.
Maverick
Matured Bully

Previous

Return to Health Issues