NEW owner of a difficult pitbull puppy

************YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO POST ANYWHERE ELSE UNTIL YOU PROPERLY INTRODUCE YOURSELF HERE.*********

NEW owner of a difficult pitbull puppy

Postby stephanieBAIRD » Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:29 pm

I'm Stephanie, I've owned about 6 pitbulls total over the past ten years. Never have a had the problems I'm having with the red-nose pit puppy I got about 4 days ago. She house broke quickly, as well as learned "sit" but I'm having a HORRIBLE time with her biting. It's a nightmare! It seems like no matter what technique I try, all any of it seems to do is piss her off more. I know puppies bite and chew, it's their nature, but this is different. It's very aggressive, to the point that some of the bites have drawn blood, and it's accompanied by aggressive barking and growling. PLEASE SOMEONE GIVE ME SOME GOOD ADVICE! I love this girl (Ginger) already and would hate to have to let her go! I'm desperate and willing to try anything.
stephanieBAIRD
Newborn Bully

Re: NEW owner of a difficult pitbull puppy

Postby starrlamia » Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:28 am

Be patient and use one technique. You have only had the pup a few days, give him time to settle in and learn what everything means. My bully was a terrible biter as a puppy, he learned eventually.

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk
starrlamia
Addicted to PBF

Postby Nichole » Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:21 am

I promise this puppy is not being aggressive. It may be excited, playful, and maybe a little frustrated, but puppies are not "aggressive" - the tricks I have used in the past is to put a treat between your fingers snugly so the pup can't snatch it out. When it bites, yelp like an injured pup (high pitched, short YELP) and take your hand away. Try again, repeat as often as necessary. Once the mouth is soft around your fingers, give it the cookie. Repeat x a million. I used to feed Sadie's entire kibble meal this way, one piece of kibble at a time. She loved her food so she was very eager to alter her mouth to get food faster. Good luck.
Nichole
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby spammie » Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:38 am

Hi and welcome. Some pups are very mouthy, especially if they were taken from the litter earlier than 8 weeks. Here's a link that may help
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=16101
Can you tell us a bit about yourself? Are you involved in any dog sports? Do you have any future plans for your dog?
spammie
Regulator

Return to Introductions