Hello! I'm a new pitbull owner from MD

************YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO POST ANYWHERE ELSE UNTIL YOU PROPERLY INTRODUCE YOURSELF HERE.*********

Hello! I'm a new pitbull owner from MD

Postby Drift » Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:02 pm

My name is Sara and I'm 21 years old. I have recently moved back into my parent's house, and I brought my boyfriend's two year old pitbull with me. My parents were very outspoken about the breed, and not in a good way. I'm fairly certain my dad was convinced that bullies are all blood-thirsty, killing machines. So you can imagine how important it is for me to keep the bullie, Diesel, on his best behavior. Which has brought me here, for I need some help!

I rescued my first dog a few years ago; he is a mature german shepherd mix and was severely abused. He was already house trained when he arrived, and being an older and very shy dog, causes absolutely no problems. He is the exact opposite of Diesel. Before meeting him, I had no experience with bully breeds, and was appalled at how ill-mannered he was. I believe this was because the poor thing absolutely hated my boyfriend's father. He would constantly poo in the house, and when left alone, he would tear the house to shreds. He also peed on his pillow, which I honestly thought was hilarious (the man was very nasty). Thankfully, this behavior immediately stopped when he moved in with me. But that doesn't mean I'm in the clear. The only big problem I am having is with his severe separation anxiety and his ability to break out of crates. I have not been able to leave my house for extended periods of time, and while my family has really warmed up to him (my dad even admits to liking him!), I can't rely on them to constantly be available to dog sit for me.

Anyways, I'll get into that later on. For now, I'd like to share more about myself. I used to ride and show horses, and I do still live on a horse farm, but I no longer own any myself. Right now I am a free-lance artist, working mostly digitally, although I have been selling a lot of tattoo designs. I'm also a vegetarian, and I have been for eleven or twelve years, I guess I lost count. I have always been an animal lover, and have always been fascinated with pitbulls. Now that I have been able to fully experience their loyalty and spunk, I can safely say that I will never own any other breed.

That's about all I can think to say, besides that it is wonderful to have found these forums and I am very excited to meet everyone! I promise I will post pictures of both my dogs once I am able to upload a few :)
Drift
Newborn Bully

Re: Hello! I'm a new pitbull owner from MD

Postby Curly_07 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:28 pm

Welcome neighbor! I hope you aren't living in PG County, as they have a very nasty BSL against our breed. You will find lots of info here to help you with the issues you have. SA (Separation Anxiety) is a common one with dogs. We have a really good thread here about it in the Training Section, if you'd like to check it out. There are also a few trainers and behaviorists on the board that are always willing to help. They are very positive training style based with it too :)

I've lived my whole life on a farm, until these last few years. I still ride at a local small stable on the weekends to help keep my sanity lol

Hope to see you around. Again, welcome to PBF!
Curly_07
Regulator

Postby Drift » Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:27 pm

Hi, Curly! It's very nice to meet you.

Nope, I'm in Carroll County, but I have already experienced bully bias on behalf of the law. Diesel took a good chunk out of my boyfriend's stepfather. Not for no reason, of course, the man punched my boyfriend in the face and was going to hit him again before the dog stepped in. Long story short, we had to quarantine the dog for 10 days, he was deemed "potentially dangerous," and the States Attorney dropped the charges against the stepfather. I've looked up my state's laws, and unless I'm mistaken, you are liable for a dog bite if you do anything to provoke it, including punching its owner in the face. We're in the process of lawyering up, but I am convinced this wouldn't be the case if we were walking my mom's cockerspaniel, who would also happily bite someone that hurt us.

Anyways, sorry for the rant! I'm going to go check out the SA thread right now, but I am sure I'll see you around :]
Drift
Newborn Bully

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:10 am

Welcome! Thanks for standing by your pup! :)
AllisonPitbullLvr
Regulator

Postby spammie » Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:36 am

Sounds like you have several issues to manage with this dog. Please post your concerns about them in behavior/training.
:modwelcomeonly1:
spammie
Regulator

Return to Introductions