EA has Osteochondritis - any experiences?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

EA has Osteochondritis - any experiences?

Postby Eita » Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:16 pm

EA was X-rayed today and it turns out that her limp is caused by Osteochondritis. Not very severe and according to the vet it should probably heal by itself. But he did say that exercise would do no harm. But have checked it on the internet and a sick dog should stay so much in peace as possible. Any experiences, opinions?

Thanks!
Eita
Newborn Bully

Re: EA has Osteochondritis - any experiences?

Postby suzanne » Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:12 pm

If your dog really has OCD your vet is crazy because rest is absolutely necessary and exercise will exacerbate the problem. We just diagnosed a Chow puppy with this two days ago, we sent him on Vetprofen [Rimadyl] and I think he's on cage rest/limited exercise for the next 4-6 weeks. Reading online they say with proper rest there is a 60% chance your dog will heal completely. If they don't heal, surgery is an option. If your dog is limping, as in, painful - then IMO rest is absolutely necessary...
suzanne
Adolescent Bully

Postby Eita » Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:05 am

Hi Suzanne,
yes that was exactly the same impression I got having come home from the vet. Total rest, having checked the web. In fact, we haven't taken her out for walks in a week and she seems better. She gets Rimadyl as well.

I like our vet but as all doctors, they can't know EVERYTHING.

Thanks for your answer.
Eita
Newborn Bully

Postby suzanne » Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:03 pm

Eita wrote:Hi Suzanne,
yes that was exactly the same impression I got having come home from the vet. Total rest, having checked the web. In fact, we haven't taken her out for walks in a week and she seems better. She gets Rimadyl as well.

I like our vet but as all doctors, they can't know EVERYTHING.

Thanks for your answer.

Very true, I wasn't trying to diss your vet at all - I know text can be hard to interpret. I was just thinking there's no way the whole 'no rest' thing can be right.

It sucks having to give them time off, especially if they are super active but good for you for taking her in and having her looked at! I hope she heals completely :)
suzanne
Adolescent Bully

Postby Eita » Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:36 pm

Hi Suzanne,
thanks. A 2nd, 3rd or 4th opinion is always good. EA is doing pretty well and she knows very well that we are going to the beach now. And she is joining us. Swimming can never do any harm and she loves it. We will just be careful of strong movements.

The pic of your dog is great!!!

:) Erika
Eita
Newborn Bully

Postby Eita » Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:38 pm

Hi, now, after 4-5 months, EA has recovered almost completely:) Only after serious running a little bit of limp is visible.
Eita
Newborn Bully

Postby Misskiwi67 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:38 pm

If he's still got a limp, no matter how minor, I'd have him checked again.

One of our boss's working border collies had a very mild case, about 1/3 the size of a typical OCD lesion, and he would have a very slight limp after working despite doing a full 8 weeks of strict rest prior to returning to training.

He ended up getting surgery, and he is a perfectly normal dog now. Even if the limp is mild, its still and indication that the lesion is still uncomfortable, and I would definitely consider surgery, it can make so much improvement.
Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Eita » Sat Jun 23, 2012 4:32 am

Hi,
I have only seen a slight limp once in about two months. I wouldn't opt for surgery. That implies a big risk for the dog and she would have to rest for another 6 weeks.
Eita
Newborn Bully

Return to Health Issues