healthy skin shiny coat question

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

healthy skin shiny coat question

Postby ursaminor » Sun Mar 11, 2012 1:36 pm

I am looking to get some feedback on some supplements some of you might be using in this regard. Amber doesn't have any skin issues now (she had try patches when she was younger) but her coat isn't anything shiny and she constantly sheds hair every time I pet her (nothing excessive though). Is this normal for one thing with this breed and if not what can be done about having a healthier skin/hair? I add salmon oil to her kibble for omega 3/6 in the mornings and plain yogurt at night. I wash her once a month due to my backyard conditions (lots of dirt patches) and feed her Fromms. She turns 1 year 2 months tomorrow. Thanks.
ursaminor
Newborn Bully

Re: healthy skin shiny coat question

Postby mtlu » Sun Mar 11, 2012 1:48 pm

Molly got anal gland issues from salmon oil (was giving her the Grizzly Salmon Oil that comes in a pump bottle and has to be refrigerated). So I stopped giving her salmon oil for a while to see what would happen and she was fine. Then, during one of our food switches, her coat got really dry and coarse so I started giving her a kelp supplement (the one I use is called Pet Kelp but there are other brands/manufacturers) and that has helped a lot. Plus kelp has a lot of good stuff in it that can also help boost the immune system so it's one of the regular supplements now.

The food you feed can have an impact as well but if you like how she's doing on Fromms overall, then I would give the salmon oil supplementing a bit more time (at least a couple of months) before trying something else. Even though our winters are mild here (no snow) Molly still sheds more at certain times of the year when there are weather changes or conditions are dry when we run the heater more often in the winter.
mtlu
Addicted to PBF

Postby MMSmith » Sun Mar 11, 2012 2:04 pm

I use coconut oil for a skin/coat supplement, and I have noticed a big difference with it. Plus, it smells a heck of a lot better than fish oil! And you can use coconut oil directly on their skin if you notice a dry patch.

How often do you groom Amber? For dogs with super short coats, you can purchase something called a hound glove with has really short, dull rubber nubs instead of bristles. It fits on your hand and you can pet her all over and remove a lot of dead hair and skin in a short time.
MMSmith
Adolescent Bully

Postby Amie » Sun Mar 11, 2012 2:04 pm

Is that Amber in your avatar?

Color might have something to do with the gloss of her coat - Liberty is a deep red, and glows like I oiled her down. Oscar has the exact same diet (minus the ocasional indiscretions where she's broken into weird things) and he doesn't shine much at all - he's white and a very slightly brindled red.
Amie
Regulator

Postby BrokenAquarian » Sun Mar 11, 2012 2:24 pm

I've got a blue/brown dog with a very short coat and she's always shined like and oiled up seal. lol
She and my Boxer(fawn) have always had the same diet, but his coat is a bit longer and less shine.

Fish and fish oils help, but I think it may also be genetics/coat type.
BrokenAquarian
Addicted to PBF

Postby FransterDoo » Sun Mar 11, 2012 2:47 pm

You should also brush the dog regularly. Not only does it collect all that loose fur but it's good to stimulate their skin.

The Kong Zoom Groom is awesome!

I also feed Salmon oil, kelp and coconut oil for good skin and coat.
FransterDoo
Addicted to PBF

Postby ursaminor » Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:09 pm

Thanks for all the feedback guys. I will start using coconut oil and kelp. I also need a new brush as I have the generic Petco brand "top paw." Yes, that is amber in the avatar. I groom her once a week is this something I need to do more? Here is a picture showing the patches I was talking about.

Thanks again.
ursaminor
Newborn Bully

Postby Mooresmajestic » Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:52 pm

How close does she sleep to a heating duct? A friend of mine's dog had the same issue and couldn't figure out what caused it. She then realized the dog slept next to the heat register. She moved him to into a crate so he couldn't sleep next to it and everything cleared up, he stopped shedding so much and had a much more shiny coat.
Mooresmajestic
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby ursaminor » Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:45 pm

She sleeps at the end of my bed or if it's hot during the summer she prefers her bed or the hardwood floor. I have never turned on the heater since I lived here, never too cold in Southern California. Another thing I have been noticing that she hardly touches her water while I'm gone and it's almost always full.
ursaminor
Newborn Bully

Postby Mooresmajestic » Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:50 am

I read some of your other posts on other topics...

Maybe she is getting too much sun (never comes to my mind living in Michigan), or possibly an environmental allergen since she does spend so much time outside.

I am a huge fan of coconut oil for my animals and me. I have also seen great results with Inflight coat.
Mooresmajestic
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Celesteandthebullies » Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:55 am

I've heard that sometimes, after switching food/improving their diet, it can take a bit for the damaged hair to shed out. That was with a different breed though so I'm not sure.
Celesteandthebullies
Addicted to PBF

Postby ursaminor » Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:30 am

Majestic: when she spends time under the sun it's by choice, the yard does have trees with plenty of shade from the sun. I will try all that was suggested and do a follow up post in couple monts with the results.
ursaminor
Newborn Bully

Postby pblove » Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:01 am

I think her coat does look shiney in the photo that you posted to show the patches.
does she have any allergies, that presents in extra shedding and dry patches too
pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby ursaminor » Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:10 am

Don't let the flash fool you, the avatar is what it looks like with natural light. :)
ursaminor
Newborn Bully

Postby Mooresmajestic » Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:54 pm

ursaminor wrote:Majestic: when she spends time under the sun it's by choice, the yard does have trees with plenty of shade from the sun. I will try all that was suggested and do a follow up post in couple monts with the results.

I'm sure it is, I too have a sun baby. So much so that I have to coat her in sunscreen or she burns. I swear her goal in life is to get the perfect tan.
Mooresmajestic
Bully Lover 4 Life

Return to Health Issues