HELP- TUMORS... NEED ADVICE

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

HELP- TUMORS... NEED ADVICE

Postby twisted » Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:32 pm

2 years ago i took my dog in to have some lumps looked at.they turned out to be MCT's. we had them removed and everything was ok. then about 6 months ago i noticed some lumps.6 in total. well last month i took him (socks) back to the vet to get a needle aspiration of the bumps.i found out then that my vet didnt work there anymore and another vet (owner) would take over.

i dont like his bedside manors. he didnt know things, like my dogs gender for instance...and even said to me he would of known this stuff if he took the time to read his folder.that didnt set good with me.

anyway, he did the aspirations and he came back and said they werent MCT's but round cell tumors and they could turn into MCT''s. he suggested taking them off.

due to this vets manors and him not knowing my dog and also just he seemed more about the money i opted to take my dog to a vet my friend recommended. great vets. she aspirated the same lumps and said one was fatty tumor and the rest were MCT's. she then told me that she thinks operating on him would be cruel as she thinks having this many MCT's that they are prolly freely floating around his body. taking them off would only put socks in pain as they would just come back and worst yet could show up in his organs.

so im left not knowing what to do...go back to the original vet and have them removed or take the advice of the new vet
?

a little about socks. hes a 10 year old male pit bull. soon to be 11. he has hip dysplasia and his kidney enzymes are elevated. he is on KD diet for that.

im torn on what to do,i dont want to put him through pain if its not gonna help his situation.but i dont want to hesitate on this either...money is an issue for me but i can make it happen if it needs to be.

your thoughts ?

thank you in advance !

heres a pic of my buddy

twisted
Newborn Bully

Re: HELP- TUMORS... NEED ADVICE

Postby HappyPuppy » Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:01 pm

I'm so sorry you are dealing with this! He looks like such a sweetie! I don't have any real world advice except a :hug:
Here's a start if you haven't read this sticky (above) already - viewtopic.php?f=5&t=138377

I think I'd listen to my gut over the vet and I'm glad you are.... Hang in there, collectively there is a lot of experience here re new replies.
HappyPuppy
Addicted to PBF

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:43 pm

Would you be able to get s third opinion?

I'm sorry you're going through this. MCT's suck. :(
AllisonPitbullLvr
Regulator

Postby PitBull-Lady » Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:04 pm

MCTs do suck. I'm sorry you're going through this.

My gut would say since the first vet did not diagnose the correct type of tumor (lab error or not) will you really trust them? I'd think no. Why not continue on with the 'new' vet and work with them on your path forward. It sounds like you trust them more at this point.

I'd work with the vet to find what the treatment and healing will be like and then what the prognosis is. All can be a decision in themselves based on your baby's health. What may help is the vet's idea of how 'deep' the tumor is. Depending on where it is, the removal may be easier than others. i.e. some muscles are difficult where some fatty areas may be easy.

Feel free to lean on us. We'll support your decision. It's never easy.
PitBull-Lady
Addicted to PBF

Postby twisted » Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:10 pm

thank you. im just afraid if i leave them he will get worst and ill have that "i should of" problem.

right now he is in great spirits and runs around like a puppy. just has some lumps.

the new vet said we could do chemo but it was very pricey and she said its not always effective and makes the dog ill. i dont want to do that to him.
twisted
Newborn Bully

Postby suzanne » Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:35 pm

twisted wrote:thank you. im just afraid if i leave them he will get worst and ill have that "i should of" problem.

right now he is in great spirits and runs around like a puppy. just has some lumps.

the new vet said we could do chemo but it was very pricey and she said its not always effective and makes the dog ill. i dont want to do that to him.

If his kidney values are elevated I would be concerned about doing chemotherapy. I would also be concerned about anesthetizing him. Honestly, I would get another opinion from another vet, ask about the risks of surgery with his kidney values. It might be worth it to remove the worst of the mast cell tumors. Another idea would be to ask if treating with prednisone is an option... I know sometimes it can shrink them. The issue with MCTs is they can invade the lymph system and once that happens you don't have many options. I don't really think operating on a dog that old is 'cruel' if he seems to be in good health and his kidneys can take it. I knew a 12 year old Malamute with bone cancer, the owners amputated her leg and put her through chemo. She only survived 9mos but she did GREAT, her recovery was awesome, she was dragging me down the street two days after surgery. I was skeptical about it was first but was really amazed at how well she did, those old dogs can surprise you!
suzanne
Adolescent Bully

Postby twisted » Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:51 pm

his kidney enzymes are at the high end of normal. he had his 1st surgery when they found out he had the kidney issue.
twisted
Newborn Bully

Postby julie64 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:27 am

she thinks having this many MCT's that they are prolly freely floating around his body. taking them off would only put socks in pain as they would just come back and worst yet could show up in his organs.

This was my Shay who had several MCT on her body. I chose not to remove them all, with that many they would just come right back and worse. Shay had a awesome oncolgist that didn't push anything at us and actually agreed with my decision not to remove all the lumps. I also didn't do chemo with Shay. I had her on a cancer diet with supplements and she lived almost 3 years after we first found out she had mast cell.

There is sticky above in here that gives some suggestions on diets and supplements for dogs dealing with mct.

Lots of good thoughts coming to you and socks, he's beautiful.
julie64
Addicted to PBF

Postby twisted » Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:09 pm

julie64 wrote:
she thinks having this many MCT's that they are prolly freely floating around his body. taking them off would only put socks in pain as they would just come back and worst yet could show up in his organs.

This was my Shay who had several MCT on her body. I chose not to remove them all, with that many they would just come right back and worse. Shay had a awesome oncolgist that didn't push anything at us and actually agreed with my decision not to remove all the lumps. I also didn't do chemo with Shay. I had her on a cancer diet with supplements and she lived almost 3 years after we first found out she had mast cell.

There is sticky above in here that gives some suggestions on diets and supplements for dogs dealing with mct.

Lots of good thoughts coming to you and socks, he's beautiful.

oh man your post made me feel alot better. i will have to look up some supplements. i already have him on the hills KD diet for his kidneys and he takes glucosimin (sp) for his hips. ill have to read into that sticky more.
twisted
Newborn Bully

Postby PITtsburgher » Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:58 pm

I think if I were you I would ask the second vet for a referral to an oncologist. Or some places you can just go yourself without a referral. If there is a vet school or a specialty hospital near you, they should have an oncologist. They would be the best person to talk you through all your options including chemo and surgery versus supportive care.
PITtsburgher
Matured Bully

Postby BrokenAquarian » Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:48 am

Giving 1tsp of Turmeric powder with food every day will melt the fatty tumors. It takes a little while, but you will notice them going through a pattern of getting soft, then shrinking a bit(repeat) until they disappear.

Only 1 teaspoon, giving more will not speed things up and may result in an upset belly. :)
BrokenAquarian
Addicted to PBF

Postby twisted » Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:43 pm

i copied the sticky and plan to ask the vet about the ideas in there.
twisted
Newborn Bully

Postby julie64 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:32 pm

Please keep us posted on Socks. :)
julie64
Addicted to PBF

Postby twisted » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:50 pm

julie64 wrote:Please keep us posted on Socks. :)

i will. i got socks out today to play some frisbee. in his younger years he use to jump up and catch it in the air but i guess his hips arent up to that anymore. he still loves to run after it and beat the hell out of it when he gets it lol.

twisted
Newborn Bully

Postby heartbullies » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:51 pm

Goodness, he is a really cute guy. I hope you get some good answers soon. Give him some extra loving from me, ok?

Sent from my ATRIX using Tapatalk
heartbullies
Regulator

Next

Return to Health Issues