Moth Eaten Coat

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Re: Moth Eaten Coat

Postby PitFriend » Sun Mar 11, 2012 5:56 pm

Poor thing! I'm sorry you're struggling with this, and hope you get some help soon.
PitFriend
Addicted to PBF

Postby goldenstatefan » Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:40 pm

This may sound crazy, but have you tried Benedryl? At least for the skin issues. Knocks out any type of skin bumps/allergies my pits have had.
goldenstatefan
Newborn Bully

Postby Ilovethepits » Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:49 pm

Do you think she could have a systemic yeast infection?

I read about it at the Great Dane Lady website and also Nature's Farmacy website has an article about it.

I switched my dogs to Precise Holistic Complete and am also using the Nature's Farmacy digestive enzymes. It is helping with the appearance of their coats and scratching but mine have been on crappy food so long I read that it would take one month for each year of crappy food so we have a way to go yet.

I always feel so bad for Cherry and for you when you post photos of her skin problems. I wish you could both find some relief.
Ilovethepits
Addicted to PBF

Postby Cherry » Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:46 pm

We should have stock in Benadryl, she gets 75mg in the am and 75mg in the pm, in addition to Atopica and Temeril P (as needed). We definitely know about Benadryl. Dunno how much it helps, I think it just makes her too sleepy for a couple hours to itch.

We tried the Nzymes thing, and the systematic yeast infection treatment. Nada. Made her way worse because she wasn't on any meds. She was suffering too much to continue. We did it for 5 months.

We got the thyroid results back. Her thyroid levels are perfect. :( I don't really know where to go from here other than just managing it with Temeril P and Atopica and do CBCs every 6 months to make sure her levels are ok.

I did change her food to Wellness Core Ocean and her fur is slowly growing back in and is shinier and soft again. Did a round of Temeril P and she's feeling much better. Her staph infections are almost gone.
Cherry
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Ilovethepits » Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:29 am

I'm glad to hear Cherry is on the mend again. I'm sorry you are having such issues though. She must have a super sensitive system.
Ilovethepits
Addicted to PBF

Postby gooeydog » Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:39 am

Haley had a moth eaten looking coat once, about 5 years ago. I think she'd already been on an antibiotic for something unrelated, and the vet added an antifungal, Ketoconazole, just in case. The spots went away and her coat became normal again. Never had it since, though she's had other allergy related skin issues. Might ask your vet if it's worth trying in her case.
gooeydog
Regulator

Previous

Return to Health Issues