Snacking in the yard

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Snacking in the yard

Postby drhodes1970 » Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:01 am

My female is 8 mo. old and started eating my 4yr. old males butt material. I try to get it cleaned up before she goes out but sometimes we don't find it all. What can we do? I just can't deal with this! Thank you in advance.
drhodes1970
Newborn Bully

Re: Snacking in the yard

Postby Amie » Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:31 am

Feed both dogs pineapple (canned is fine).

It's probably worth a vet check up to make sure this new behavior doesn't stem from a nutritional shortage.
Amie
Regulator

Postby patty » Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:38 am

Why dogs eat Poop from the Paw Persuasion blog

http://www.pawpersuasion.com/imarticle.php?articleid=242884
patty
Forum Junky

Postby Amie » Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:54 am

Canned did the trick very quickly for Liberty when she had this issue (the article says it must be fresh, but doesn't say why) and I think the advice to "claim the space" is pretty much nonsense, and the advice to scare the dog with a loud noise could be quite detrimental to many dogs (both of those would have been terrifying to Liberty).
Amie
Regulator

Postby Murfins » Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:36 pm

Our oldest dog, Jordie, has had this habit since we adopted him 6 years ago and no additive, behaviour modification, vet check or anything has worked ... the ONLY thing that works for him is to wear a muzzle while outside. He is never EVER left unsupervised with it on and for 6 years it's worked great.
Murfins
Addicted to PBF

Postby dogs4jen » Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:55 pm

Meat tenderizer is another thing you can try. The pineapple didn't work on Austin, but the meat tenderizer did, finally.
dogs4jen
Forum Junky

Postby amelie » Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:22 am

Something I have noticed with my dogs is when I feed them raw, on days they get a lot of bone in their meal, they wont even touch a turd. My pit bulls would never eat poo, but I have sled dogs and a few of them will do it. Not sure if this helps your situation in any way.
amelie
Matured Bully

Postby HappyPuppy » Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:36 am

Nothing worked for us except time and changing food brands when Ruby was eating HER OWN poop. Pineapple did nothing, I learned she loves HOT sauce, and I don't think meat tenderizer did anything either. But switching brands of food changed the chemistry, I think.... I almost took her back to the pound over that - it's disgusting esp when I was napping on the couch and she'd come in to give me a fresh, stinky kiss! Aargh! Yea, I admit to chasing Ruby around the yard with a broom and screaming 'don't eat that' !!! :oops:
HappyPuppy
Addicted to PBF

Return to Health Issues