Hi Everybody

************YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO POST ANYWHERE ELSE UNTIL YOU PROPERLY INTRODUCE YOURSELF HERE.*********

Hi Everybody

Postby Stunn3rx » Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:55 am

Hello everybody,

My name is Ivo. I'm an 19 year old Labrador Retriever owner from Vancouver, Canada. I don't any experience owning a "Pit-bull" type dog, so far I've grown up with German Shepherds, Labrador Retrievers and a small Shizthu. At first I thought it would be good to get an APBT as a companion to my soon to be 6 month chocolate Labrador Retriever (When he got older, 1-2 years old) but after researching and reading some posts on here, I have learned that maybe an APBT would not be an ideal candidate due to their natural instinct and high prey drive and the fact that I'm much too busy for two dogs at the moment. (Maybe in the far away future, when I'm living on my own with a decently sized yard and no dogs)

I've had many questions regarding APBT's already answered just by reading some of the posts and specially the sticky threads, plus other thing's such as information about why it isn't really ideal to bring your dog to the dog parks and the dangers of it.

Anyways, my current friend is an almost 6 month old beautiful dark chocolate Labrador Retriever named Rocky, here are some pics of him when he was 9-15 weeks or so, I will say this in advance, please forgive the choke collar that you will see on him in one of the pictures, I have changed his collar from that one to a decent resizable collar where about 75% of the proceeds go to Dog Cancer research/charities. I will also say that he is not fat, he just looks a bit chubby because of the way he is sleeping, plus he was the second biggest out of the litter, my mother bought him from a guy who bred his English-style chocolate Labrador Retriever with an American chocolate Labrador Retriever (dumb thing to do, you live and learn, I realized how foolish this was until it was too late - you live and learn)

So far I've taught him just about every basic trick you can teach your dog (Sit/Lay down/Roll Over/Side(Bang Bang/Play dead)/Jump/Speak/Shake) right now I'm working on heeling, I've "taught" him not to pull on the leash (long process but worth it) and before he used to always jump on people to greet them which was also corrected through a long but steady process. I am extremely proud of him and how far he has come, whenever I walk him people are always commenting how nice "handsome" he is and how well behaved he is around other dogs, small children ,ect. He is my pride and joy and I would do anything for him, I hate saying that I "own" him, I just say he is my friend, I've taken him on lots of trails and have recently taken him swimming which I haven't been able to do because of rain/snow.

Thank you for reading my post.
Stunn3rx
Newborn Bully

Re: Hi Everybody

Postby Curly_07 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:06 am

Welcome! I'm not a fan of labs, just not the breed for me, but your pup is cute! I'm really glad you came here to research the breed, and realize what's best for your household at this time. There are some dog friendly pit bulls out there. I have 2, and have fostered many that were dog friendly. The thing is, when you get any breed of dog, get it for yourself...not as a companion for your current dog. There are many reasons for this that I won't go into, but if you read around you will see why.

Sent from my HTC Inspire using Tapatalk
Curly_07
Regulator

Postby MissKitty » Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:06 pm

Welcome!

It is wonderful to see someone being responsible and researching before diving into the breed.
I hope you stick around and ask a lot of questions, I have learned so much in my time here.

And I agree that not all Pit Bulls are dog aggressive, it is just something to be aware of when you adopt a bully breed.
My dog is very much a 'dogs dog', he prefers the company of other dogs.
MissKitty
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Amie » Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:45 pm

:modwelcomeonly2:
Amie
Regulator

Return to Introductions