Roc in hospital

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Roc in hospital

Postby trip8581 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:33 pm

I know I don't post here as much as I used to with the move & vet school - life is just crazy, but I could use your good thoughts for my little man.

Roc is in the hospital over night tonight. This morning he was coughing a ton, but he coughs every once in awhile so I didn't think too much of it and it stopped. He was acting completely normal, ate his breakfast, and then I took him with me to walk to get a package - which is about a 30-40 min walk roundtrip. He was happy go lucky the entire walk and after he seemed fine as well, had some water, and then came upstairs with me to lie on his dog bed and chill while I studied. Well not too long after he was shaking a ton and at first I thought he was cold, so I got him a blanket, but that didn't work so I picked him up and brought him to sit with me. His pulse was racing and he was stretching his neck out funny. And he just seemed out of it. So I called the vet and told them I was on my way in. I had to carry him the entire way there which is normally a 20 min walk for me, but I think it probably took us more like 30 min - as I had to keep adjusting my arms and put him down a few times just to give my arms a break (he is 30 lbs, but gets heavy after awhile).

When we got there the intern was not completely sure what was going on with him as his symptoms did not make much sense and she brought in a resident. It was decided to do bloodwork (in case he ate anything on the walk to rule out toxins) and just a general check and then also chest x-rays because of his cough that had started again and put him on fluids. Well the bloodwork all came back normal, but the chest x-rays showed one lung lobe not functioning at all and some abnormalities in it. Their first diagnosis is aspiration pneumonia, so they are starting him on IV antibiotics and hoping those will help. If the antibiotics do not work then it could be that the abnormalities they are seeing are neoplasia which would most likely mean cancer.

So he is there overnight and could use all the positive thoughts in the world really. I am a mess right now on the inside as I really cannot lose him. And he does not do well away from me, so I am extremely worried about that as well - the vet knows and is supposed to call me if he starts freaking out, but as of the last time I talked to her he was calm - I guess cause he feels like crap. Which of course then worries me even more. :crybaby:
trip8581
Bully Lover 4 Life

Re: Roc in hospital

Postby julie64 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:41 pm

Lots of good thoughts coming to Rock and you. :hug: Poor little guy.
julie64
Addicted to PBF

Postby BabyReba » Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:45 pm

oh no, i saw on FB that you had to bring him in. hope it's nothing serious!
BabyReba
Regulator

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:21 pm

Loving healing thoughts sent!
AllisonPitbullLvr
Regulator

Postby patty » Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:27 pm

Sending love and prayers for Roc and you. :pray I will be thinking of you both.

:hug:
patty
Forum Junky

Postby Leslie H » Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:35 pm

It must have been so terrible having to carry him, worrying the whole time. Hopefully he's calm because he knows the vet will help him feel better. Roc and you are in my thoughts.
Leslie H
Regulator

Postby HappyPuppy » Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:26 pm

Oh no - I know what you mean about carrying weight over distance like that... poor lil guy. Darn.... I;m going to focus on the lesser of the evils and hope it's just pneumonia. He is a special lil dude and I know how connected you 2 are.... Keeping you both in my thoughts! :hug:
HappyPuppy
Addicted to PBF

Postby Madeleinemom » Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:54 pm

A ton of healing vibes to add!
Madeleinemom
Adolescent Bully

Postby pacopoe » Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:28 pm

Keeping him in my thoughts and hoping for a good outcome.
pacopoe
Bully Ambassador

Postby dogs4jen » Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:29 pm

Sending Roc good thoughts, hope he gets better soon.
dogs4jen
Forum Junky

Postby jamielvsaustin » Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:24 am

AllisonPibbleLvr wrote:Loving healing thoughts sent!

x2!!!
jamielvsaustin
Regulator

Postby pblove » Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:31 am

:pray :pray :pray :pray
I hope ypou will soon updae with positive news
many good thoughts and prayers going out for Roc(and you too)
pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby trip8581 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:23 pm

Thanks everyone for the good thoughts - keep them coming his way!

He improved a tiny bit overnight, but they decided to keep him another night as they wanted more time for him on IV antibiotics. They will reevaluate tomorrow and see if I can take him home on oral antibiotics. He is weak and sleeping a lot, but eating small canned food meatballs. They are nebulizing him to help clear his airways and break up the mucus in his lungs. And the vet said his cough was better today. As long as the antibiotics work and clear it then it is aspiration pneumonia. They are not sure what would have caused it, but he eats his food so darn fast (inhales it) that that could be a possibility. I have to feed him such small portions of food at a time and he still sometimes chokes. In 2 weeks they would do a recheck x-ray to see how his lungs and esophagus look - to look for signs of mega-esophagus and perhaps even then test for myasthenia gravis. I am just hoping he improves and it is not cancer. :pray
trip8581
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby MissKitty » Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:27 pm

Sending heal vibes your way and praying it is nothing serious.
MissKitty
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby pblove » Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:29 pm

I am gald there is some improvement and will keep Praying for complete recovery ( with no cancer) :pray
pblove
Addicted to PBF

Next

Return to Health Issues