Switching to TOTW

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Switching to TOTW

Postby GatorNoles55 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:22 pm

Sorry if this was posted some where, I didn't see it.

I'm switching my pit and pit mix to the same food. Remy, the pit mix, is on SD puppy from the shelter and Tank, pit, is on Purina Pro Plan. We have tried chicken soup for the puppy lover's soul and Tank did good, stools were a little loose but nothing major, Remy, on the other hand, had severe diarrhea. I want to put them on TOTW High Prairie, however I'm not sure if I should use the puppy or adult, Remy is 4 months and Tank is 3 months, puppy has 28% protein and 17% fat where the adult has 32% protein and 18% fat. But I've heard hat TOTW is an all life stages food, and to feed the adult one instead of the puppy Any opinions on this will be very helpful :)

Also if I feed the adult formula how much would I give them and how many times a day? As the adult bag says 3/4 -1 1/2 cup for 10-20lbs and 1 1/2- 2 cups for 20-30lbs, and puppy says 2-3 cups for 10-20lbs 3-4 months of age and 3-4 cups for 20-30lbs 3-4months of age.

Any help and opinions are appreciated!

And believe or not Remy is actually bigger then Tank Lol
GatorNoles55
Newborn Bully

Re: Switching to TOTW

Postby Curly_07 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:29 pm

It's you again!!! LOL

Switching needs to be gradual over the period of a couple weeks. TOTW is great with my girls, but I feed the salmon formula. They each get 1 cup in the am and 1 in the pm. One weighs 75, the other 47, BUT their energy levels are drastically dif that's why they get what they do. You can't go by the bag. You need to go by the individual dog :)

Sent from my HTC Inspire using Tapatalk
Curly_07
Regulator

Postby GatorNoles55 » Sat Mar 24, 2012 4:24 am

Thanks! :) thats kind of what I thought, but I wasn't sure as far as if the puppy formula or adult formula made a difference as to what I gave them.
GatorNoles55
Newborn Bully

Postby Amie » Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:00 am

Isn't TOTW an all-life-stages formula? I may be remembering wrong...
Amie
Regulator

Postby star_frances » Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:03 am

It was all life stages before, but I believe that has changed now that they came out with their puppy formulas. On their website under High Prairie it now says:
"AAFCO Statement
Taste of the Wild® High Prairie Canine® Formula with Roasted Bison & Roasted Venison is formulated to meet the nutritional levels established by the AAFCO Dog Food Nutrient Profiles for maintenance."
star_frances
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby GatorNoles55 » Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:04 am

I knew it was all life stages before, wasn't sure if it still was or not. And the adult formula having a higher protein was throwing me off too, as I thought the puppy was suppose to have higher protein. Thanks guys, puppy it is Lol
GatorNoles55
Newborn Bully

Postby Misskiwi67 » Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:48 pm

Puppy food just needs to have 25% protein, most middle of the road adult dog foods have protein levels closer to 21%.

As for volume, it really varies from dog to dog. My dogs are on the fish formula, and my 35# dog eats 3/4 cup twice a day, and my 45# dog eats a 1/2 cup twice a day. Yup, my smaller dog eats quite a bit more than my bigger dog!

Start with what the bag says, and watch their waistlines closely... most dogs will need less than what the bag says, but some will need more.
Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Return to Health Issues