What can I give her for pain?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Re: What can I give her for pain?

Postby Shearaha1 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:36 am

Just because I saw it on that OC homeopathy one you got. Aspirin is derived from Willow Bark. Giving Willow Bark is the same as giving aspirin. So be careful not to give it with the Rimadyl, just like aspirin.
Shearaha1
Newborn Bully

Postby EmmaLove » Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:52 pm

Misskiwi67 wrote:One is probably fine, but the rimadyl is much safer. Each NSAID blocks a pathway called the COX pathway in a different way. Cox-1 pathway is what causes the changes to platelets (which is good for heart disease, etc.), and also affects the kidneys and GI tract. COX-2 is more related to inflammation and has less effects on the kidneys and GI. I really can't remember much more than that, sorry.

Those who are "fine" with aspirin haven't seen the problems with it, and aren't reading the VERY new information about it. I work at a referral center, so I see all the dogs that have problems.

Here's a link to a chart with withdrawal times for NSAIDs and steroids.

http://www.sovsc.com/DYKnsaids.htm

Thanks so much for all the info Misskiwi. My regular vet didn't exactly caution against aspirin, but she did say I should stick with Rimadyl in the future instead- so I'm glad she's at least not advising the use of it.

Shearaha1 wrote:Just because I saw it on that OC homeopathy one you got. Aspirin is derived from Willow Bark. Giving Willow Bark is the same as giving aspirin. So be careful not to give it with the Rimadyl, just like aspirin.

I hope that's not true! The homeopathy one I got has recommended dosages for giving it daily, and there were tons of reviews on petco.com where people raved about it as they were using it daily on their dogs. If it's the same as aspirin, then there's a lot of dogs out there who'll be getting sick... I can't imagine a daily aspirin wouldn't cause lots of problems for a dog in the long run.
EmmaLove
Matured Bully

Postby Misskiwi67 » Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:38 pm

EmmaLove wrote:
I hope that's not true! The homeopathy one I got has recommended dosages for giving it daily, and there were tons of reviews on petco.com where people raved about it as they were using it daily on their dogs. If it's the same as aspirin, then there's a lot of dogs out there who'll be getting sick... I can't imagine a daily aspirin wouldn't cause lots of problems for a dog in the long run.

Thats the problem with homeopathic medications. Everyone assumes they are safe, they assume they will not interact with their other medications, and everyone assumes they are free of side effects.

Most of the time they don't even know what they are giving, and then there is the other questionable percent of the time when you don't know whats in the bottle thats not on the label!! (I've had some super scary conversations with poison control concerning supplements lately!)
Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Shearaha1 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:22 am

Misskiwi67 wrote:
Shearaha1 wrote:Just because I saw it on that OC homeopathy one you got. Aspirin is derived from Willow Bark. Giving Willow Bark is the same as giving aspirin. So be careful not to give it with the Rimadyl, just like aspirin.

Nope very true
The father of modern medicine was Hippocrates, who lived sometime between 460 B.C and 377 B.C. Hippocrates was left historical records of pain relief treatments, including the use of powder made from the bark and leaves of the willow tree to help heal headaches, pains and fevers.

By 1829, scientists discovered that it was the compound called salicin in willow plants which gave you the pain relief.

According to "From A Miracle Drug" written by Sophie Jourdier for the Royal Society of Chemistry: "It was not long before the active ingredient in willow bark was isolated; in 1828, Johann Buchner, professor of pharmacy at the University of Munich, isolated a tiny amount of bitter tasting yellow, needle-like crystals, which he called salicin.

I pulled the above from about.com the history of Aspirin.
Shearaha1
Newborn Bully

Previous

Return to Health Issues