Sonny's watering, still...but even worse

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Sonny's watering, still...but even worse

Postby SonnysMomma » Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:52 pm

So, Im sure some of you rememver the previous posts about Sonny and the watering at the mouth he would randomly do. We found if we cooked with certain spices it would happen, or if he would have a sneezing attack and then just sometimes for no reason. But they were always very few and far between.

Not any more.

About a month-and-a-half-ish ago, he started watering on a regular basis...but the spells didnt last long when they did happen. We took him to the vet two and half weeks ago and hi vet told us to not give him any of his treats, deer antlers, etc., just his food. And to give him one prevacid a day for two weeks. He seemed to think it was heart burn or indegestion. Well, he got done with his last pill a couple days ago and nothing changed during that two week period.

He has watered at the mouth ALL day today. The longest it has ever happened. He is not throwing up, he is eating, drinking, playing, normal. There have been a few times when he has had a sneeze attack that caused the watering where he has seemed uncomfortable, but otherwise fine.

Im at a loss. I am calling the vet tomorrow and making an appointment to get blood drawn, ex-rays of his stomach and i suppose an allergy test too.

Any other suggestions, ideas, tips, something! :(
SonnysMomma
Forum Junky

Re: Sonny's watering, still...but even worse

Postby patty » Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:03 pm

I'm sure you have searched the internet, I found this article about Ptyalism (Hypersalivation)

When the vet checked Sonny did he do a examination of this teeth, gums and throat?

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/ptyalism-hypersalivation-in-dogs/page1.aspx
patty
Forum Junky

Postby SonnysMomma » Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:16 pm

patty wrote:I'm sure you have searched the internet, I found this article about Ptyalism (Hypersalivation)

When the vet checked Sonny did he do a examination of this teeth, gums and throat?

Thanks Patty, that's interesting. I have noted it down on my notepad so that when we go to the vet I can bring it up.

I wonder though, if that is it. Cause he isn't actually drooling...like stringy drool. Its like water.

We checked all through his mouth for ulcers or sores, under his tongue gums, etc.

I just don't know...then again, I'm not supposed to, im not a vet! lol

I just wish I did, he is momma's baby!
SonnysMomma
Forum Junky

Postby Keira&Phoenix » Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:09 am

SonnysMomma wrote:
patty wrote:I'm sure you have searched the internet, I found this article about Ptyalism (Hypersalivation)

Thanks Patty, that's interesting. I have noted it down on my notepad so that when we go to the vet I can bring it up.

I wonder though, if that is it. Cause he isn't actually drooling...like stringy drool. Its like water.

We checked all through his mouth for ulcers or sores, under his tongue gums, etc.

I just don't know...then again, I'm not supposed to, im not a vet! lol

I just wish I did, he is momma's baby!

My girl Phoenix has HUGE saliva glands and her drool can vary anywhere from normal sticky like drool to almost a tap being turned on (watery) but it generally only happens when we have food/cooking food or if she is anticipating getting food lol.
So it could well be drool. I think the stickyness of it depends on how much the dog has already drooled. Ie: it might be really sticky when they first start drooling but it may get more watery after that. SO because your dog is drooling almost constantly that could be the reason it is so watery....
Keira&Phoenix
Adolescent Bully

Postby SonnysMomma » Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:50 pm

We have an appt Friday for bloodwork and possible sedation for xrays

Wish us luck! I pray it is nothing serious!
SonnysMomma
Forum Junky

Postby patty » Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:26 pm

My very best wishes and positive thoughts for nothing serious. We will be thinking of you and Sonny :hug:
patty
Forum Junky

Postby SonnysMomma » Sun Feb 05, 2012 5:11 pm

Ok, so we took him in and they ran blood work. Everything came back fine, except that his pancreatic levels were slightly high. They stated that the levels were in the normal range, just in the higher end of the normal range.

So they ran a second test just on his pancreatic levels and it showed the same...normal but slightly high. They said to make his diet blander....unfortunately, I didn't get to go to the appt with Marc and Sonny so I didn't get to ask any questions.

Im gonna have to write down some questions to call back up there and get some answers. The doctor did tell Marc that the higher levels could be causing the watering at the mouth...but I'm starting to wonder. Cause he seemed like he was dead set originally on him having heartburn or something along those lines.

- what would cause his pancreatic levels to be high
- why a bland diet
- does he need xrays done anyways

Any suggestions, questions or advice, please feel free to chime in!

THanks!
SonnysMomma
Forum Junky

Postby Misskiwi67 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:54 pm

If the pancreatic levels were high, then there may be some question about if Sonny is developing pancreatitis. A bland diet is recommended to prevent pancreatitis, which can be associated (but not always) with a diet high in fat.

Here's an article on pancreatitis: http://www.VeterinaryPartner.com/Conten ... C=0&A=2214
Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby chinchi_&_chupa » Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:52 pm

A friend of mine's puppy does that when they would travel...the vet (also mine of 10+ years) said to give dramamine (SP? & not sure how much) 30 minutes before travel. That doesn't explain the all day thing though??
chinchi_&_chupa
Matured Bully

Postby SonnysMomma » Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:19 pm

Misskiwi67 wrote:If the pancreatic levels were high, then there may be some question about if Sonny is developing pancreatitis. A bland diet is recommended to prevent pancreatitis, which can be associated (but not always) with a diet high in fat.

Here's an article on pancreatitis: http://www.VeterinaryPartner.com/Conten ... C=0&A=2214

Misskiwi, we have been lessening the amount of his kibble and adding rice to the kibble he does get. The watering seems to have slowed down, besides all the pollen we have been getting.

He has been eating Natural Balance since he has been about a year old. Anytime we tried him on other food, he licked and bit at his feet nonstop, and doesnt do that with the natural balance, so that is what we kept him on. We switch the flavor every 6 months or so cause he seems to get a bit bored with it, or he will start biting at his feet. Right now he is eating the Lamb and Brown rice formula. Below is the ingredients and %'s. Do you think the Crude Fat is too high?

Crude Protein 21.0% minimum
Crude Fat 12.0% minimum
Crude Fiber 4.0% maximum
Moisture 10.0% maximum
Calcium 1.0% minimum
Phosphorus 0.8% minimum
Omega-3 Fatty Acids* 0.3% minimum
Omega-6 Fatty Acids* 1.7% minimum

Is there another food you would recommend that is lower in fat, but still an allergy/grain free food?

I am setting him up another appointment to get more blood drawn to see where his pancreatic levels are. Is there any other tests you would recommend talk to the doctor about or have him run?

Thanks so much for all the feedback!
SonnysMomma
Forum Junky

Postby Misskiwi67 » Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:55 pm

Its rare to find over the counter foods that are less than 10-12% fat.

I guess if you can switch formulas regularly, I would see about trying a prescription diet for sensitive stomachs, like i/d. Its atually a tiny bit higher in fat, but I've seen this diet work wonders for many dogs with sensitivities. Don't read the ingredients list, just try it out first. It has chicken in it, so if your dog has a chicken allergy, it won't work well. If the "watering" slows down, at least you will know diet will treat the problem and you can go back to looking for an OTC food that will still work.

If your dog is diagnosed with pancreatitis (and there is a more specific test your vet should have called a SNAP test) then I would recommend a true fat restricting diet like Royal Canin LF (the only diet of its kind...)
Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Return to Health Issues