Tick prevention

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Re: Tick prevention

Postby star_frances » Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:26 am

Misskiwi67 wrote:
star_frances wrote:MissKiwi - Are the tick collars safe to use if you have cats in the house that often cuddle with the dogs? Are they safe for me to be around as I am pregnant? They sound like the best option but I want to be sure we are all safe.

Amitraz is toxic to cats, but should not affect the cats as long as they don't lick the dogs collars.

It is NOT safe to be consumed, it is toxic/deadly if the collar is eaten.

I have no idea about safety when pregnant... sorry...

Thanks for the info - I'll call the company and see what I can find out! Will repost here for others when I do. =)
star_frances
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby AmstaffMommy » Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:58 pm

MMSmith wrote:
elegy wrote:Frontline Plus still seems to work fine here (PA - LOTS of ticks/Lyme in our area). I still find ticks, but they're dead. I did a trial of Certifect (Frontline + low dose Amitraz) last fall, and while I did notice more of an odor and it's a bigger volume than Frontline, I would use it again if I felt I needed it.

My biggest complaint about the spot ons is that they're DISGUSTING. That's why I'm so bad about using them, especially on the pit bulls (it's not as bad on the hairy Border Collie).

I feel the same way about the spot ons. Not to mention I usually wind up bathing Henry WAY more than once a month in the spring and summer. He loves mud and smelly dead things. Yum.

I think the tick collar would work well for us. I could take it off for baths and not ruin its effectiveness.

we bath quite a bit in the summer too, probably every other week, not to mention all the swimming.

We havent had a problem with the K9 Advantix washing off
AmstaffMommy
Bully Ambassador

Postby star_frances » Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:32 am

star_frances wrote:
Misskiwi67 wrote:
star_frances wrote:MissKiwi - Are the tick collars safe to use if you have cats in the house that often cuddle with the dogs? Are they safe for me to be around as I am pregnant? They sound like the best option but I want to be sure we are all safe.

Amitraz is toxic to cats, but should not affect the cats as long as they don't lick the dogs collars.

It is NOT safe to be consumed, it is toxic/deadly if the collar is eaten.

I have no idea about safety when pregnant... sorry...

Thanks for the info - I'll call the company and see what I can find out! Will repost here for others when I do. =)

It's a no go for us here - our cats are too friendly with the dogs - cudding and grooming them. The rep I spoke with said it's just not safe for the cats at that level of contact.
star_frances
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Misskiwi67 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:50 pm

So I'm trying something new this year, the new frontline product called Certifect. Its frontline + amitraz.

I already know amitraz works well in my dogs, so thats all well and good, and I'm sick of ticks on me and all I can do is up the ante for my dogs.

Problem #1 - price! gah, the preventick collar was soooo much less expensive, and it worked like a dream!
Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby july_hymn » Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:24 am

Greta spends lots of time rural settings in the summer time and I've never had a tick on her while using K9 Advantix. I love it!
july_hymn
Matured Bully

Postby lilangel » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:50 am

Do you guys see a problem here? We're creating bugs that are immune to our chemicals. Adding more chemicals on top of old chemicals is only going to be effective for so long and at what cost to our animals and the ecosystems in which they swim and the water we drink? There doesn't seem to be an answer besides allowing natural selection to push the genotype one way or another. That may be cold and pragmatic, but what else is there that will not make us or our dogs even weaker than we are as species? (see below) While we add selection pressures to strengthen the tick and mosquito, flea and bedbug, we are stifling our own and our animal's capacity for genetic shift. The bugs evolve to meet selection pressures but we do not. Short term good. Long term very very bad.

I've used cedar oil, neem and tea tree oils mixed with mineral oil and sprayed daily last year with marginal success. Not reliable for ticks by any means but not completely ineffective either. No other bugs whatsoever with a few ticks here and there.

This year I've been testing Insect Shield bandanas and so far after 5 weeks in a high tick zone... zero ticks. Even with the money I spent on the bandanas I've already saved $20. Next month it will be a total of $80 saved, and so forth. 100% effective with a permethrin impregnated bandana. We're not at the height of tick season yet, but we've had ticks consistently all winter here and found 4 attached the week before the bandanas arrived. Then... the ticks were gone from the dogs. Still finding ticks on me which proves they are there. Yeah, I know it is still permethrin, but it is worn, not applied and absorbed. It seems a better option than putting poison into the dogs and may be a less effective selection pressure as it seems to prevent attachment. They make people garments as well. Others might want to give them a try and see if they help minimize the amount of poison we put on our dogs and cats. At $11 a pop, it's worth a shot.
lilangel
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Misskiwi67 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:04 am

Why is permethrin any less of a chemical than fipronil or amitraz?
Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby lilangel » Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:27 am

Misskiwi67 wrote:Why is permethrin any less of a chemical than fipronil or amitraz?

I didn't say that it was, in fact I acknowledged that it is a chemical. and I'm not going to argue with you. I said what I needed to say. You're free to do as you wish.
lilangel
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Megan » Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:19 pm

Iilangel,

I know you guys farm... If you can stand the noise have you thought of adding a flock of guineas? I am swearing by these fowl for our case. I was pulling ticks left and right last year, and since adding 10 free range birds last fall they have been in the pastures and fields non stop, and I haven't had a tick on me if I stay in the areas they frequent. I am looking at doubling my flock this summer in homes they will almost elimante the tick. I honestly suggest these birds for anyone who can legally have them. They are a godsend. As far as cost of feeding them... Spring, summer and fall they are content eating bugs and dont get supplemental feed. Winter some grain keeps them perfectly happy and healthy!

Do you have a link to the bandana? I wonder if that would be a better option for Gavin and his issues while we are in the woods.
Megan
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby lilangel » Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:25 am

Yes, we have guineas and chickens on the way. I like the noise actually. It let's me know when I have to go out and run trespassers and poachers off the property;) We always had poultry on the farm until last year and that is when the tick population exploded here. Not sure if it is just progression of tick migration or if the poultry eradicate them that effectively. Certainly can't hurt to have cute birds around. i miss bright orange egg yolks.
lilangel
Bully Lover 4 Life

Previous

Return to Health Issues