**Diamond Naturals dog food recall**

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

**Diamond Naturals dog food recall**

Postby Murfins » Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:29 pm

Murfins
Addicted to PBF

Re: **Diamond Naturals dog food recall**

Postby my boy boris » Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:43 pm

that's it, never buying diamond products again. hopefully no dogs are killed this time.
my boy boris
Newborn Bully

Postby Shutterwolf » Sat Apr 07, 2012 1:48 am

Phew... says no other products made by diamond are effected. was a bit worried since they make my Kirkland dog food.
Shutterwolf
Matured Bully

Postby BlueKohl » Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:21 pm

Does anyone have any suggestions on similar formulas in another brand? I have always fed nothing but Diamond Naturals Lamb and Rice and I don't want to feed any more of the bag I have. (I keep all dog food in airtight storage, and throw away the bag, so I have no clue if mine is contaminated lot.) I am looking for something in the same price range but can spend a little more. It has to be corn, wheat, and soy free at least. The only other quality food I can think of that is reasonable with those restriction are Victor varieties, and I might have to go with that. I am looking for something similar though since they are going to be switching cold turkey.

Any suggestions?
Anyone else dealing with this issue?
BlueKohl
Newborn Bully

Postby dogs4jen » Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:50 pm

All of the brands that come to my mind at the moment that are similarly priced are also made by Diamond, like Chicken Soup etc.
dogs4jen
Forum Junky

Postby heartbullies » Sun Apr 08, 2012 3:06 am

Natura, which has their own plant but is now owned by Eukanuba I believe, makes a pretty inexpensive food called Healthwise for Pets that is similar and meets the criteria listed:

http://www.naturapet.com/brands/healthwise

I am not sure if the "Premium Edge" foods are Diamond made? They are also similar and low-priced, and have many formulas.

http://www.premiumedgepetfood.com/

Sent from my ATRIX using Tapatalk
heartbullies
Regulator

Postby AmberD » Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:05 pm

heartbullies wrote:Natura, which has their own plant but is now owned by Eukanuba I believe, makes a pretty inexpensive food called Healthwise for Pets that is similar and meets the criteria listed:

http://www.naturapet.com/brands/healthwise

I am not sure if the "Premium Edge" foods are Diamond made? They are also similar and low-priced, and have many formulas.

http://www.premiumedgepetfood.com/

Sent from my ATRIX using Tapatalk

Yeah, Premium Edge is made by Diamond, too...
AmberD
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Red » Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:17 pm

Red
Addicted to PBF

Postby patty » Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:26 pm

WTH -- NOW PUPPY FOOD????? :fire:
patty
Forum Junky

Postby Misskiwi67 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:15 pm

Its Salmonella... its not the end of the world.

At least they caught it, most small brands don't even have the testing abilities to pick up on something like this.
Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Timas Mom » Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:17 pm

Diamond is NOT a small brand. They are huge!!!
Timas Mom
Matured Bully

Postby Celesteandthebullies » Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:34 pm

I don't think she was implying they're small...
Celesteandthebullies
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:49 pm

Timas Mom wrote:Diamond is NOT a small brand. They are huge!!!

Yes, and monitoring all their food. Wish they'd caught this before it hit the shelves, but better late than never.

Funny how 30% of raw food in the stores has salmonella, and nobody is backpedaling and saying they will never feed raw again...
Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Sarah » Tue May 01, 2012 1:17 pm

Misskiwi67 wrote:Its Salmonella... its not the end of the world.

At least they caught it, most small brands don't even have the testing abilities to pick up on something like this.

That's been my opinion of this... it's salmonella, it's not that hazardous to dogs (yes, they can get it, it doesn't generally make them very sick), more of a hazard to humans who might also be handling the food. It's hard to completely avoid having contagions like salmonella in the food supply, if it's being caught, then it means someone is doing their job.
Sarah
Dabbling Dog Coddler

Postby PitBull-Lady » Mon May 07, 2012 7:45 pm

Having gone to several sites to see what the food companies had to say was interesting. I encourage all people feeding these foods to go on line and actually verify what is being recalled. After reading a post from my co-worker I found a SPOOKED beyond belief dog lover. He got a call from Costco on Saturday regarding his dog's food being a part of the recall. The fact that his dog got sick after starting to feed the last bag purchased and a couple of weeks later Murcie passed away, he is asking all kinds of questions. His wounds have been opened right back up.

True, it may not be related, but he did call the vet to make sure they were aware of what call he got. They spent time discussing what they did test for etc. and his vet as well as the ER vet both said it is not part of their protocol to check for salmonella. He was not so upset that it was not, (he does understand how that stuff works) but is sincerely hoping it is now; especially with the experience they shared in his heartbreak of sweet Murcie.

*+*+* *+*+* *+*+* *+*+*
The recall affects only products distributed in the following Eastern U.S. states and were manufactured at the Diamond Pet Food Gaston, South Carolina plant. Further distribution to other pet food channels may have occurred.
Check the individual Food Sites but also http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-recalls/ (<I don't know if they are an independent reporter of info)

from Natural Balance>> "Almost all pet food companies, even those that do own some production facilities use co-manufacturers. Diamond is one of several co-manufacturers that Natural Balance partners with across the country. This means each co-manufacturers produce select formulas, which have been developed by Natural Balance veterinarians and nutritionists. Diamond uses the approved formulas and premium quality ingredients that Natural Balance has developed.
We test every lot of our products for 9 known contaminants including Salmonella ..."

States Affected:
Alabama, Arkansas, Colorado, Connecticut, DC, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Iowa, Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Massachusetts, Maryland, Maine, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Mississippi, North Carolina, North Dakota, Nebraska, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Virginia, Vermont, Wisconsin, West Virginia, Wyoming and Canada.
States NOT Affected:
Alaska, Arizona, California, Hawaii, Idaho, Montana, New Mexico, Nevada, Oregon, Utah, and Washington.

4Health
Apex
Canidae
Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover’s Soul
Country Value
Diamond
Diamond Naturals
Kirkland Signature >including Nature's Domain
Natural Balance
Premium Edge
Professional
Taste of the Wild