Another dog death blamed on dog treats...

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Another dog death blamed on dog treats...

Postby patty » Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:18 pm

patty
Forum Junky

Re: Another dog death blamed on dog treats...

Postby Red » Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:08 am

It is bad enough that stores do not seem to bothered by this and keep those products off their shelves, but the owners that continue to buy them are not any better. These warnings have been more and more frequent for while.
Even my dogs' dermatologist sent me an e-mail last year, and to all his clients, about this on going situation.
Red
Addicted to PBF

Postby dogs4jen » Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:03 pm

Do you think we should worry about chicken in other things, like Zuke's treats, for example?
dogs4jen
Forum Junky

Postby Misskiwi67 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:53 pm

I would worry about ALL food products from China. If its not 100% made in the USA, I would beware.
Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby kornygerm » Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:58 pm

Misskiwi67 wrote:I would worry about ALL food products from China. If its not 100% made in the USA, I would beware.

its a little hard to find things made in the usa, though..nowdays.
kornygerm
Matured Bully

Postby Savage Destiny » Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:31 am

kornygerm wrote:
Misskiwi67 wrote:I would worry about ALL food products from China. If its not 100% made in the USA, I would beware.

Not food products. The store I work at will not carry any food, treats, or chews that are made in China, period. Sure, our stuff ends up being a little more spendy for being made in the US, but it's far from impossible to feed only US made treats. Off the top of my head I know Primal, True Chews, and Smokehouse all make chicken jerky made and sourced in the US. I do think Smokehouse irradiates theirs though.

It can be hard to find toys and supplies made in the US, but food and treats are easy.

Dogs4jen, Zuke's treats are made in the US, so you're fine. :thumbsup:
Savage Destiny
Bully Ambassador

Postby Murfins » Sat Apr 07, 2012 7:57 am

Savage Destiny wrote:
kornygerm wrote:

Not food products. The store I work at will not carry any food, treats, or chews that are made in China, period. Sure, our stuff ends up being a little more spendy for being made in the US, but it's far from impossible to feed only US made treats. Off the top of my head I know Primal, True Chews, and Smokehouse all make chicken jerky made and sourced in the US. I do think Smokehouse irradiates theirs though.

It can be hard to find toys and supplies made in the US, but food and treats are easy.

Dogs4jen, Zuke's treats are made in the US, so you're fine. :thumbsup:

Agreed, I only buy US or Canadian made and there is a good variety - my main pet store only carries products from US and Canada, which helps a lot. Toys are much, much more difficult but possible.
Murfins
Addicted to PBF

Postby lilangel » Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:26 am

Sorry, did you guys miss the entire "pink slime" thing last month? Made in the USA doesn't mean much. Just look at what corporations are putting in people food. Ya think dog food is going to be better? It is probably safest to look for European, canadian or US made treats that are made by a small company, preferably with one ingredient that actually looks like what it is made of. Better yet, buy half a local pasture raised side of beef and make your own treats :yipee:
lilangel
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby bmore_girl » Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:30 am

my local petsmart has a HUGE display of the milo chicken jerky AND waggin train as soon as you walk into the store. i internally fume every time i see it. i feel like it only went up after the recent recall/media awareness.
bmore_girl
Newborn Bully

Postby kornygerm » Sun Apr 08, 2012 1:29 pm

lilangel wrote:Sorry, did you guys miss the entire "pink slime" thing last month? Made in the USA doesn't mean much. Just look at what corporations are putting in people food. Ya think dog food is going to be better? It is probably safest to look for European, canadian or US made treats that are made by a small company, preferably with one ingredient that actually looks like what it is made of. Better yet, buy half a local pasture raised side of beef and make your own treats :yipee:

:goodpost:
kornygerm
Matured Bully

Postby BrokenAquarian » Sun Apr 08, 2012 2:53 pm

We could get off our lazy bums and make our own dog treats. That's always an option. lol
Anyone with an oven can do it. It'll end up costing less, too.

I swear that I'm going to make my own dog treats, I have an empty cookie jar waiting - I just need to fill it. Yeah, eventually. lol
BrokenAquarian
Addicted to PBF

Postby Red » Sun Apr 08, 2012 3:31 pm

BrokenAquarian wrote:We could get off our lazy bums and make our own dog treats. That's always an option. lol
Anyone with an oven can do it. It'll end up costing less, too.

I often make my own treats, using a dehydrator (did I spell that right?) for the meat, or baking.
As far as costing less...not always. In order to use my dehydrator and make treats that I can use for a while, I have to buy meat that has to be free of any fat (or it will rotten within days) , so the best cuts. If I feed right away then I am okey, but if I plan to stock up on treats then I have to cook (I bake) and then freeze. With what the meat costs me around here, it is not any cheaper than to buy pre made treats of a certain quality.
I tell you, when i have to use my own treat supplies because clients don't understand that there is a reason I tell them to buy certain foods and treats....ugh.

I buy a lot of USA made treats, and that is far better bet than to buy from China, imo. I can't raise cows or chickens here, nor I could kill them myself , so I keep track of what ended up in recalls/warnings and buy from companies I have been buying from, for years (and no problems).

I'll try to put together a list on USA made treats, starting this evening, so that people can at least have an idea of what brands are around and what to buy that is a better choice.
Red
Addicted to PBF

Postby Murfins » Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:56 pm

Agreed. I know we had a start of a list of USA and Canada made treats on here within the last few months.
Murfins
Addicted to PBF

Postby Murfins » Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:01 pm

This is the thread I was thinking of - http://www.pitbullforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=151284&hilit=US+made+dog+treats

An actual list would be great to have on the forum though.
Murfins
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:13 pm

lilangel wrote:Sorry, did you guys miss the entire "pink slime" thing last month? Made in the USA doesn't mean much. Just look at what corporations are putting in people food. Ya think dog food is going to be better? It is probably safest to look for European, canadian or US made treats that are made by a small company, preferably with one ingredient that actually looks like what it is made of. Better yet, buy half a local pasture raised side of beef and make your own treats :yipee:

A company with no quality control where someone who doesn't wash properly spreads salmonella everywhere and there's no testing to pick it up before it hits the shelves?

Sometimes I think you just can't win... someone in my agility class makes their own doggie "fudge" and the dogs go absolutely bananas for it. I wish I could get the recipe, but she sells it for spending money (disabled teenager) and so I don't think its appropriate to ask.
Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Next

Return to Health Issues