Distemper? :(

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Distemper? :(

Postby EmmaFace » Sun Apr 08, 2012 5:35 pm

We've had Hysteria for a week now. The first day, I noticed one eye was red but I figured I got some shampoo in it when we gave her a bath. The next morning she was sneezing, but we thought maybe she just got a little chilly from being outside after her bath. Her nose has looked dirty but the yard outside is dirt, no grass, so we figured she just kept getting dirty. She seemed fine for the first few days, not super excited but we figured she was just adjusting to her new home. But the last few days she hasn't been very enthusiastic about eating, and today I can't get her to play with any toys, I'll toss something and she'd walk over and sniff it then turn around and just sit down, she's way too lethargic, beyond a little sadness of missing her old owner. Her eyes are red again, she had green gunk in one eye today, and the haw of her other eye was partly closed. Her nose doesn't look like just dirt anymore, now it looks crusty. :(
I'd never known anything about distemper until I just started googling it, and now I'm very afraid, she has all the symptoms... I'm taking her to the vet tomorrow, I hope I'm wrong and she just has a cold :(
:pray :crybaby:
EmmaFace
Newborn Bully

Re: Distemper? :(

Postby Leslie H » Sun Apr 08, 2012 6:40 pm

I would take her temperature, and if she's got a fever, I'd get her to the emergency vet, rather than waiting.
Canine "normal" body temperature range is 100.5 - 102.5 Fahrenheit (38 - 39.2 Celsius).
Leslie H
Regulator

Postby Murfins » Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:51 pm

:goodpost:
Murfins
Addicted to PBF

Postby EmmaFace » Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:32 pm

There are no e-vets here. We're in a particularly ugly border city in Mexico, and the vets who haven't been extorted out of business or fleed to the states are few and far between nowadays - plus it's not really safe for any business to be open at night, thus, no e-vets. I can't wait to get back to the states.
On another forum someone asked about vomiting and/or diarrhea, and she has neither. Tonight I'm going to keep her eyes and nose as clear as I can and we'll see what the vet says tomorrow.
Thank you for any thoughts or prayers or crossed fingers you may have <3
She survived parvo when she was younger, hoping her strong little immune system will carry her through this too.
EmmaFace
Newborn Bully

Postby EmmaFace » Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:12 am

Update:
The vet's diagnosis was distemper. But apparently, vets in Mexico have begun treating distemper with antibiotics and short term azathioprine after a two-year study showed a pretty impressive cure rate - 90%.

http://www.campusveterinariosenweb.com/file.php/1/moddata/forum/14/40941/EFECTO_ANTIVIRICO_DE_LA_AZATIOPRINA_EN_CASOS_DE_MOQUILLO_CANINO.doc
(in Spanish - I haven't found an English translation, and Google translate isn't great, but if you can read Spanish, it makes a good case)

Those are pretty damn good odds. Hyssy got her first dose on Monday, she'll go back for more today, Friday, and next Monday, and in the meantime I'm giving antbiotics and eye drops at home.

If you looked at her today, you'd never guess she's sick. She bounced right back to 100% yesterday! She has her energy back, and her eyes are much clearer! I can't believe how fast it's working!

Who studies drugs in the USA for veterinary uses? Is it the FDA, or something similar to approve stuff like this? Or is it less regulated with drugs for animals? Man, they need to get on it and start studying the use of azathioprine against distemper in the states. It's a miracle. I'm so happy my puppy feels better! <3
EmmaFace
Newborn Bully

Postby pblove » Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:19 am

many years ago I picked up a stray dog that was very sick with distemper and pregnant. I drove her straight to my vet. vet would not allow her out of my car now would she give me meds to treat her.
I called a lady I knew that had a rescue(before rescues were so very popular) and she told me what to do and let me come and get the antibiotics to treat her. My little dog lived a good 10 years after that (RIP Miss Girlie)
I hope you have as much success as I did with myt 'Girlie' dog.
p.s. I stopped using that vet and I got her a spay/abort before the puppies were born.
pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:39 pm

Was your dog tested for distemper? A simple urine test will tell you the truth.

I've seen 3 confirmed cases, all of them died.
Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Return to Health Issues