Please tell me I'm being stupid and paranoid

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Please tell me I'm being stupid and paranoid

Postby Nichole » Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:07 am

I'm paranoid and wishing I could just wave a wand and make all weird little lumpy bumpies go away because they're freaking me out.

This area has felt lumpy bumpy. Not a big deal. She had major surgery and I knew to expect to feel some stitches and scar tissue. But as I was rubbing her down this evening I swear this area feels more prominent so I looked and I can actually see this lump. Feels hard like cartilage or scar tissue, even feels like I can feel the stitches in there (it is irregular, not smooth). Doesn't reduce so I don't think it's a hernia.

The area is just superior to the incision site, right about where I'd expect the diaphragm to be - which had some repair work done in the surgery.

I'm having major guilt for letting her play with her ball and do some light agility work yesterday.
Nichole
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Re: Please tell me I'm being stupid and paranoid

Postby Red » Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:51 am

I don't think you are being paranoid at all.Hopefully it is a minor build up of fluids and blood, maybe due to the recent increase in activity, to monitor for infections. I'd take her in or at least call your vet, perhaps a drain might be needed if the fluid does not get absorbed, if a seroma is what is happening.Is she still on antibiotics?
Red
Addicted to PBF

Postby Nichole » Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:04 am

She finished her antibiotics a week ago or so, maybe a little longer than that. It's all kind of a blur now. It doesn't look red or feel hot to the touch so I dont think infection is at play, it feels hard (most likely just scar tissue) but since it feels more prominent I wonder if something knocked lose in the running around. I suppose it could be fluid but doesn't feel like it.

I might bring her into work tomorrow and give her an ultrasound of the area.
Nichole
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:21 am

I'm sure it's exactly what you expect-- scar tissue and an incision that's still healing. Ava's spay scar looked terrible or weeks, even after suture removal and eventually it just smoothed out. But you're goin to worry anyway so I'd pop back to the vet to be sure. lol
AllisonPitbullLvr
Regulator

Postby Semper Bull » Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:02 am

I do not think you are being paranoid at all. It be a reaction to the sub cutaneous stitches, although I would it expect it to look more inflamed if that were the case. Would not hurt to have it checked out.
Semper Bull
Matured Bully

Postby Amie » Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:11 am

Semper Bull wrote:I do not think you are being paranoid at all. It be a reaction to the sub cutaneous stitches, although I would it expect it to look more inflamed if that were the case. Would not hurt to have it checked out.

:goodpost:
Amie
Regulator

Postby Nichole » Sat Apr 14, 2012 12:04 pm

I haven't taken her in because the lump isn't as prominent anymore. I think the lump of scar tissue was irritated from Sadie's fetch session that obviously went on longer than it should have. It's still there (has been since the beginning) but it's back down to a level that doesn't have my anxiety up. Shorter fetch sessions from now on till it feels more healed.
Nichole
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Misskiwi67 » Sun Apr 15, 2012 5:27 pm

Its also common to feel the knots from the layers of suture beneath the skin. They can feel quite firm and annoying, and may last weeks to months.
Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby PitBull-Lady » Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:01 pm

For Flower we were told to put a hot compress on the site if it was swollen. Hers was not hot to the touch either. As soon as we added the compress, it worked and the swelling went down. -Good Luck
PitBull-Lady
Addicted to PBF

Return to Health Issues