Biking with your bully

Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
Megan
Bully Lover 4 Life

Re: Biking with your bully

Postby Megan » Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:05 pm

We bike at a comfortable trot in the beginning, bump it to a run for a few minutes in the middle and back down to a trot. With the nice weather we are starting up again this year :) he likes the trot the most, and he can go awhile before starting to tire. But he does enjoy the run and to just let it all loose too.

Curly_07

Postby Curly_07 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:29 pm

I just ordered the Walky Dog on Amazon for half price. Should be here Weds...I'm excited!!! :yipee:

suzanne
Adolescent Bully

Postby suzanne » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:03 pm

Bodegus wrote:I am curious if people are biking at a trot or run speed. Thoughts?

I let my dogs set the pace. Seth likes to pull for the first few laps we ride [we ride around 3 blocks in the neighborhood] he runs pretty hard. He then drops down into a trot. Seppel is still getting the hang of things and after fiddling with his hardware, attaching a leash to his harness and not a collar, in case the attachment fails, he will run for some time and then fall down into a trot too.

kornygerm
Matured Bully

Postby kornygerm » Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:11 pm

you think this could work with two small dogs and one medium size dog? There thing is in my city is not very bike friendly..Meaning, there are not even bike lanes!, so i would have to do this in a park or in another city like Calexico, but i would love to this someday..I hardly use my bike now, since i began to drive..at least i hope to acomplish this when im still young..

Red
Addicted to PBF

Postby Red » Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:59 pm

bonechew wrote:
Bike riding will tire a dog out 5 times faster than just walking them. In an hour, I can get my dog unwound. It would take all afternoon of hiking/walking to get the same results.

Lucky you, I ended up buying a quad years back to keep up with some of my dogs.

kornygerm wrote:you think this could work with two small dogs and one medium size dog?

Hope you don't mean biking all dogs together.

kornygerm
Matured Bully

Postby kornygerm » Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:14 am

Red wrote:
bonechew wrote:
Bike riding will tire a dog out 5 times faster than just walking them. In an hour, I can get my dog unwound. It would take all afternoon of hiking/walking to get the same results.

Lucky you, I ended up buying a quad years back to keep up with some of my dogs.

kornygerm wrote:you think this could work with two small dogs and one medium size dog?

Hope you don't mean biking all dogs together.

yea, but i guess it would be to much hassle. I was thinking something like Canicross,

Red
Addicted to PBF

Postby Red » Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:49 pm

Well, it is not just an hassle, it is a safety issue. In case something was to happen, like a loose not super friendly dog approaching yours...good luck keeping everyone safe at the same time. If you were to bike one dog at a time in a reasonably safe area that would be wiser, imo.I know that some brag about taking a bunch of dogs out for a bike ride but they always strikes me as a very poor choice.

suzanne
Adolescent Bully

Postby suzanne » Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:53 am

Red wrote:Well, it is not just an hassle, it is a safety issue. In case something was to happen, like a loose not super friendly dog approaching yours...good luck keeping everyone safe at the same time. If you were to bike one dog at a time in a reasonably safe area that would be wiser, imo.I know that some brag about taking a bunch of dogs out for a bike ride but they always strikes me as a very poor choice.

I have to agree with this. Two of my dogs are really obedient/well behaved and it's probably possible for me to do, but I always take each dog on a ride individually. When you're biking you don't really need to worry about your dog so much as the loose dogs that may run up to you... OR the other day we actually had a cat charge us :wow It's much easier to manage one dog in that situation instead of 2 or 3.

kornygerm
Matured Bully

Postby kornygerm » Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:30 pm

suzanne wrote:
Red wrote:Well, it is not just an hassle, it is a safety issue. In case something was to happen, like a loose not super friendly dog approaching yours...good luck keeping everyone safe at the same time. If you were to bike one dog at a time in a reasonably safe area that would be wiser, imo.I know that some brag about taking a bunch of dogs out for a bike ride but they always strikes me as a very poor choice.

I have to agree with this. Two of my dogs are really obedient/well behaved and it's probably possible for me to do, but I always take each dog on a ride individually. When you're biking you don't really need to worry about your dog so much as the loose dogs that may run up to you... OR the other day we actually had a cat charge us :wow It's much easier to manage one dog in that situation instead of 2 or 3.

thats true though, if i have trouble walking two small dogs at the same time as one likes to pull, i cant image two in a bike lol.

Bodegus
Newborn Bully

Postby Bodegus » Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:39 am

Marco and I do about 4-6 miles most days. Mostly at a trot, with a half mile plus sprint once he get's warmed up. We stop every 2 miles for a quick water break and after the 2-3 mile we typically slow to a walk for 3-5 minutes every mile so he can cool down.

For the Minneapolis folks, the unfinished half of the green way (other side of fence) is phenomenal for off leash biking with a well trained dog. There is a 2+ mil stretch that is entirely fenced off from pedestrian/vehicle access, and the unfinished trail makes for a decent mountain bike workout for me at the same time. I let Marco drag a short leash so I can grab if need be. There are a few unlocked gates in the Greenway fence, but I typically bike up/down the ravine slope @ Blaisdell ave.

lilangel
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby lilangel » Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:02 pm

Biking with your dog off-leash is a no-no.

Bodegus
Newborn Bully

Postby Bodegus » Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:03 pm

lilangel wrote:Biking with your dog off-leash is a no-no.

Any concerns that are different from off leash dog walking?

Curly_07

Postby Curly_07 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:21 pm

Well, I've had the Walky Dog for about a month now. I love how I don't feel any real resistance on it. I hate how it doesn't fit my bike properly though. I've got it rigged for now, until I can find some more liner to put in the attachment piece. I've also only been doing no more than 10 mins on it with Curly. I only do a fast pace walk/slow trot with her on it for these few minutes, but her pads keep getting really raw. I allow them a few days to heal, then we try again...and they are raw again. This happens on the sidewalk, dirt paths, grass...but they do not get raw when she and I hike(dirt/rocks/pavement/grass) on weekends for a couple hours. She also doesn't get raw pads when we walk around the community on the sidewalk for an hour or so. I'm so confused as to why it's happening. Maybe she is slightly pulling away/towards the bike, and I can't tell, and this is causing it? How can I prevent her from hurting herself? Would wrapping her paws with something be a good idea? If so, how and what do I wrap them with? HELP?!?!

suzanne
Adolescent Bully

Postby suzanne » Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:48 pm

Bodegus wrote:
lilangel wrote:Biking with your dog off-leash is a no-no.

Any concerns that are different from off leash dog walking?

Probably because most states and counties have leash laws and even if your dog is 100% obedient, if someone else's dog comes after your dog and your dog injures or kills their dog, you will also be responsible because you were not following the law.

Personally, if you know your dog and know they are pretty reliable and obedient I don't see a huge problem, especially if you're in an area that you are unlikely to pass other dogs. I ride horses and one of my dogs comes with me and he is off leash... he doesn't stray from us and ignores people and animals we pass. BUT it is a risk, not so much that your dog will do something wrong, but that someone else's dog will.

Curly_07 wrote:Well, I've had the Walky Dog for about a month now. I love how I don't feel any real resistance on it. I hate how it doesn't fit my bike properly though. I've got it rigged for now, until I can find some more liner to put in the attachment piece. I've also only been doing no more than 10 mins on it with Curly. I only do a fast pace walk/slow trot with her on it for these few minutes, but her pads keep getting really raw. I allow them a few days to heal, then we try again...and they are raw again. This happens on the sidewalk, dirt paths, grass...but they do not get raw when she and I hike(dirt/rocks/pavement/grass) on weekends for a couple hours. She also doesn't get raw pads when we walk around the community on the sidewalk for an hour or so. I'm so confused as to why it's happening. Maybe she is slightly pulling away/towards the bike, and I can't tell, and this is causing it? How can I prevent her from hurting herself? Would wrapping her paws with something be a good idea? If so, how and what do I wrap them with? HELP?!?!

Here is something you could try to help them heal:
http://www.petco.com/product/106297/Pet ... -Dogs.aspx

I have never used this but this product has good reviews:
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Tuf-Foot ... 732813.uts

Bodegus
Newborn Bully

Postby Bodegus » Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:53 am

Curly_07 wrote:Well, I've had the Walky Dog for about a month now. I love how I don't feel any real resistance on it. I hate how it doesn't fit my bike properly though. I've got it rigged for now, until I can find some more liner to put in the attachment piece. I've also only been doing no more than 10 mins on it with Curly. I only do a fast pace walk/slow trot with her on it for these few minutes, but her pads keep getting really raw. I allow them a few days to heal, then we try again...and they are raw again. This happens on the sidewalk, dirt paths, grass...but they do not get raw when she and I hike(dirt/rocks/pavement/grass) on weekends for a couple hours. She also doesn't get raw pads when we walk around the community on the sidewalk for an hour or so. I'm so confused as to why it's happening. Maybe she is slightly pulling away/towards the bike, and I can't tell, and this is causing it? How can I prevent her from hurting herself? Would wrapping her paws with something be a good idea? If so, how and what do I wrap them with? HELP?!?!

What pace are you going at? I could see where going too slow would cause her to break with every step and cause some friction. If you can't feel a strong tug I wouldn't think it's the bike.

Return to “Training and Behavior”