Gaining Weight

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Gaining Weight

Postby Shutterwolf » Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:46 am

Well i weighed my girl today, and she came out to be a whopping 60 pounds! When i weighed her in Feb, she was only at 47... Guess all the working out has paid off. She doesn't look any bigger, and shes not eating more, the only thing that has changed is we walk a lot more and play fetch a lot more.

One question i got tho, is whats a good max weight... if there is any. Basically is there a weigh i should watch out for with her, or is it all ok since its muscle and not fat?
Shutterwolf
Matured Bully

Re: Gaining Weight

Postby GoingPostal » Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:06 am

Post a pic of her from the side and top, I like my dogs to show some ribs and have a nice tuck but good muscle coverage over all.
GoingPostal
Forum Junky

Postby mommy2kane » Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:14 am

13 lbs in muscle? Wow. Posting pictures would help see if it's a good weight or not.
mommy2kane
Addicted to PBF

Postby starrlamia » Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:33 am

you dont want to look at weight but condition, a tuck, whether you want some rib/spine to show etc. i keep my guys at a pet weight so i mostly look for a good tuck, but if i was conditioning i would want a few ribs and spine to show along with the muscle they would have (they have some but they were also lazy all winter lol).
starrlamia
Addicted to PBF

Postby Shutterwolf » Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:13 pm

Alright, will post photos later on today. Im also going to weigh her again after she does her business outside and see if its the same. The scale may have been off a bit, or if its not...is it posaible she may have hit a small growth spurt? Shes between 3 and 4 (best guess being a rescue)

Sent using Tapatalk for Android
Shutterwolf
Matured Bully

Postby Shutterwolf » Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:16 pm

Sorry it took me a couple extra days, but i got the pics, Her figure still looks pretty good imo, but what do you think?

Derpy pic lol

Shutterwolf
Matured Bully

Postby MMSmith » Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:29 pm

She looks pretty good...it does look like she's gained a little weight, though.

I like my dog pretty lean, but that's just me. I like to see some rib and a nice tuck.

He's skinny, but he's got muscle too. And he's got a thicker coat than a full pitbull (He's a cur, basically).
MMSmith
Adolescent Bully

Postby Celesteandthebullies » Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:31 pm

Yeah, Pit Bulls can be good an hiding weight. I'd like to see more of a tuck if she were my dog. She doesn't look horribly or anything, It's just my preference to keep them lean.
Celesteandthebullies
Addicted to PBF

Postby Shutterwolf » Sat Apr 21, 2012 2:26 am

What is this tuck you speak of? im guessing thats the back part of the chest where it curves up? she does have one, i just dont have a good side shot of her. hard to get one, but ill try to. She seems pretty lean to me, as in not much fat... but maybe im wrong. She hasnt been eatting more then usual, just exercising more. i always figured it was muscle mass.
Shutterwolf
Matured Bully

Postby Celesteandthebullies » Sat Apr 21, 2012 2:28 am

I'm referring to the area between the ribcage and hips. :)
Celesteandthebullies
Addicted to PBF

Postby Celesteandthebullies » Sat Apr 21, 2012 2:40 am

Guess I should've said more of a tuck at the waist. :tongue:
Celesteandthebullies
Addicted to PBF

Postby Shutterwolf » Sat Apr 21, 2012 3:40 am

Ahh ok. Well if the only thing that has changed, is more exercise...and exercise is generally how you get one to loose weight...what should i do...

she only eats once a day, and the amount hasn't changed in a very long time. shes not a chow hound at all, and some nights, she even leaves a little bit of food in her bowl.
Shutterwolf
Matured Bully

Postby star_frances » Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:21 am

Shutterwolf wrote:she only eats once a day, and the amount hasn't changed in a very long time. shes not a chow hound at all, and some nights, she even leaves a little bit of food in her bowl.

Feed her twice a day, would be my suggestion. Measure exactly how much you're giving her at each feeding - and if she is leaving some in the bowl cut back a wee bit and see what happens. Every dog is different, so you just have to trial and error on feeding amounts.
star_frances
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Celesteandthebullies » Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:49 am

If you're looking to shed pounds I'd start doing some cardio, biking, flirt pole, swimming would be good too. Tug's good as well, it builds muscle more so but still does help shed a few.
Speaking from results I saw, not science. :tongue:
Celesteandthebullies
Addicted to PBF

Postby Shutterwolf » Sat Apr 21, 2012 2:06 pm

Celesteandthebullies wrote:If you're looking to shed pounds I'd start doing some cardio, biking, flirt pole, swimming would be good too. Tug's good as well, it builds muscle more so but still does help shed a few.
Speaking from results I saw, not science. :tongue:

1 problem, im not exactly sure what flirt pole is about, ive only seen a few pics... But anything to do with bite and tug she wont do. Guesing its because shes submissive, but she wont play tug o war with me no matter how much i try.

Even hand feeding her a soft treat, holding onto part of it...it took her a bit before she would tear bits off with me holding it. Only thing i can really do with her is walkng, and playing fetch. My bike is out of comission for now.

Thing is, i think all the playing fetch, and walking we do now is why she is gaining weight as thats the only thing different about this year over last year. Doin it a lot more then we used to.

Sent using Tapatalk for Android
Shutterwolf
Matured Bully

Next

Return to Health Issues