Gaining Weight

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Re: Gaining Weight

Postby Celesteandthebullies » Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:46 pm

Does she she get treats often? Are the treats deducted from her food? I had that issue with my boy, had lots of exercise but kept gaining weight. I 1.) Started using lower fat foods (was using hot dogs) 2.) If we had training that day with treats I took a portion out of his dog food.

If you have someone to help you, recall could help lose a few pounds. Stand a good distance away and call her back and forth.
Celesteandthebullies
Addicted to PBF

Postby MMSmith » Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:01 pm

Honestly, she looks heavier than your first posts of her, and I don't feel that it's all muscle. Just my 0.02.
MMSmith
Adolescent Bully

Postby Celesteandthebullies » Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:07 pm

An older picture, notice how her rib area is more defined?

Do you have side pictures you can compare? Like this
Celesteandthebullies
Addicted to PBF

Postby Shutterwolf » Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:16 pm

Celesteandthebullies wrote:Does she she get treats often? Are the treats deducted from her food? I had that issue with my boy, had lots of exercise but kept gaining weight. I 1.) Started using lower fat foods (was using hot dogs) 2.) If we had training that day with treats I took a portion out of his dog food.

If you have someone to help you, recall could help lose a few pounds. Stand a good distance away and call her back and forth.

Im guilty of the treats, but not very many. I use the Jerkey Treats from costco. lamb and rice, but its not a daily thing. When i do give her some, its no more then 3 sticks, but usually only 1 or 2 since i can break them up into small pieces. Wouldnt think she could gain THAT much weight from having a couple of those maybe twice a week, but maybe im wrong. As far as the recall, thats what i have the chuck-it and ball for. She LOVES to play fetch.

MMSmith wrote:Honestly, she looks heavier than your first posts of her, and I don't feel that it's all muscle. Just my 0.02.

The first posts of her weren't all recent pics, some of those were from previous years, so yes she has gained some fat since then. The ones on the lawn and playing in the ocean were all from last year. The pics of her on the beach are from 2 years ago, and i think i posted 1 or 2 of right after i got her 3 years ago, when she was still growing, and had just been spayed. Only some of the cell pics and the the pics of her with the Leo are current.

So yes, you are absolutely correct. I will try to dig up some good photos of her from a few months ago to compare to the ones i just took the other day since thats the time frame im comparing weights with.
Shutterwolf
Matured Bully

Postby Shutterwolf » Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:21 pm

Celesteandthebullies wrote:An older picture, notice how her rib area is more defined?

Do you have side pictures you can compare? Like this

Ill look and see if i have an older side pic. Im about to give her a bath in this beautiful weather, so ill get a good side shot before the bath (since that usualy requires the ball to get her attention lol)
Shutterwolf
Matured Bully

Postby Celesteandthebullies » Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:47 pm

Oh and flirt poles are long poles with some sort of string or rope at the end which is attached to a toy. For example I took a lunge whip for a horse and tied a toy to the end. The dogs love it.
Celesteandthebullies
Addicted to PBF

Postby MarMar » Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:02 pm

Honestly I think you'd need better pictures of her for anyone to get a good idea. You need one straight on from her side and maybe one from the top looking down.
MarMar
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Shutterwolf » Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:01 am

MarMar wrote:Honestly I think you'd need better pictures of her for anyone to get a good idea. You need one straight on from her side and maybe one from the top looking down.

Yup, i just took some of those today. Here they are...

I know i wont have close up pics like this from a few months ago, but once it cools down enough for me to fire up the desktop (it puts out a lot of heat and its already warm enough in here) ill look thru my archives and see what i can find thats close.
Shutterwolf
Matured Bully

Postby starrlamia » Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:07 pm

she looks fine to me, you could probably take a pound or two off but i dont think it is neccessary (and its hard to tell because she is black), she has nice muscle definition for a pet :)
starrlamia
Addicted to PBF

Postby Shutterwolf » Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:15 pm

starrlamia wrote:she looks fine to me, you could probably take a pound or two off but i dont think it is neccessary (and its hard to tell because she is black), she has nice muscle definition for a pet :)

yea, she seems perfectly happy, i was just amazed to find out how heavy she is now vs a few months ago. Long as its not bad for her health, im not too concerned. I think she might've lost a pound or 2 yesterday when i gave her a bath with furminator shampoo, and de shedding solution and got rid of all the shedding fur. Love how well that stuff works.
Shutterwolf
Matured Bully

Postby starrlamia » Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:56 pm

How old is she? They do fill out quite a bit as they mature

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk 2
starrlamia
Addicted to PBF

Postby Celesteandthebullies » Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:39 pm

Yeah, it could have just been her filling out. She looks okay for pet weight. :))
Celesteandthebullies
Addicted to PBF

Postby Kingsgurl » Sun Apr 22, 2012 2:25 pm

The flirt pole is really more about chasing the toy on the end of it. Sometimes dogs who will not tug still like to chase :)

As dogs age, their metabolism slows down (just like with people) Dogs tend to put on weight pretty evenly, so it is often mistaken for 'muscle' when it is just a pretty even distribution of fat. You should be able to feel rib when lightly stroking your dog. If you have to put pressure into it, your dog is carrying extra weight. When viewed from the top, the dog should have an obvious waist, and the tuck behind the ribs has already been covered.

From 47 to 60 is a huge jump. Are you sure your scale is right?
Kingsgurl
Addicted to PBF

Postby Sarah » Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:05 pm

An adult dog who puts on 13 pounds would be either obese, or the dog would have been very underweight before. They don't gain that much weight in muscle. (ie; I started bicycling with my Tess to condition her, and she went from 31.9 to 32.2 pounds. That would be a typical level of weight gain for fairly high level exercise.)

The dog doesn't look that heavy, so my guess is that the scale is off. Was it the same scale both times?
Sarah
Dabbling Dog Coddler

Postby Shutterwolf » Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:20 pm

starrlamia wrote:How old is she? They do fill out quite a bit as they mature

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk 2

Shes 4ish now. Rescued her, and she was a stray someone found before that, so no one knows her age for sure... but best guess was that she was around 1 when i got her.

Kingsgurl wrote:The flirt pole is really more about chasing the toy on the end of it. Sometimes dogs who will not tug still like to chase :)

As dogs age, their metabolism slows down (just like with people) Dogs tend to put on weight pretty evenly, so it is often mistaken for 'muscle' when it is just a pretty even distribution of fat. You should be able to feel rib when lightly stroking your dog. If you have to put pressure into it, your dog is carrying extra weight. When viewed from the top, the dog should have an obvious waist, and the tuck behind the ribs has already been covered.

Makes Sence. I can BARELY feel the ribs without using much pressure, but i can feel the spine fairly easy... of course shes laying down sleeping in a ball right now so that could be why lol.

As far as the flirt pole goes, she doesnt really jump for toys, or even treats. The only thing she likes to do is play fetch. She will jump for the ball when it bounces in the air tho sometimes. Not sure how i could get her interested in other stuff, especially when she cant catch it and try chewing it up which i think is her favorite part lol

Sarah wrote:An adult dog who puts on 13 pounds would be either obese, or the dog would have been very underweight before. They don't gain that much weight in muscle. (ie; I started bicycling with my Tess to condition her, and she went from 31.9 to 32.2 pounds. That would be a typical level of weight gain for fairly high level exercise.)

The dog doesn't look that heavy, so my guess is that the scale is off. Was it the same scale both times?

Yes, it was the same scale. She has definitely gained weight over the past few months when i last weighed her tho. I noticed she was a little heavier when she climbed in my lap and that's when i decided to weigh her. The last pics i posted were taken yesterday and shes not fat. the older pictures ive posted around this forum, are from various times during the past 3 years and she isn't under weight in them. So, equipment error is likely. Maybe the scale meant to say 57 and now shes 60? ...but i clearly remember it saying between 47 and 50 last time, so it must have been off.
Shutterwolf
Matured Bully

PreviousNext

Return to Health Issues