Gaining Weight

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Re: Gaining Weight

Postby Shutterwolf » Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:51 am

Amie wrote:
Sarah wrote:An adult dog who puts on 13 pounds would be either obese, or the dog would have been very underweight before.

Yeah, that's like a 150lb human gaining 45lb (going to almost 200lb) in two months.

Well must have been scale error then. She did gain weight tho. Wish I knew how much.. This is why I love this forum... I've learned quite a lot in my short time here so far :) Thank you to everyone for your advice. Will keep you posted in a week or so if I see any progress.
Shutterwolf
Matured Bully

Postby starrlamia » Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:34 am

have you tried different brands of food? my Grendel is the same way with a lot of foods, he doesnt care to eat it much, but we tried a bunch of different kinds and finally found one he loves and eats with gusto.
starrlamia
Addicted to PBF

Postby Shutterwolf » Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:54 pm

starrlamia wrote:have you tried different brands of food? my Grendel is the same way with a lot of foods, he doesnt care to eat it much, but we tried a bunch of different kinds and finally found one he loves and eats with gusto.

Sadly on my budget, I can't afford anything better. I don't think there really is anything better for the price, then Kirkland Lamb & Rice from Costco. Just under 30 bucks for a 40lb bag. Maybe i could add something to it tho, such as yogurt? Or would that bulk her up more... My roommate gives his dog yogurt on his food, but the dog is also a lot bigger, and younger then Shelly.
Shutterwolf
Matured Bully

Postby starrlamia » Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:19 pm

im not familiar with food costs down there, here everything is pretty expensive (even the brands made here :po: ), pretty much ever 30lb bag of decent kibble is 60-80 bucks :S

I wouldnt add anything because you run the risk of making her fussy and refusing any kibble without stuff added to it.
starrlamia
Addicted to PBF

Postby Shutterwolf » Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:27 am

starrlamia wrote:im not familiar with food costs down there, here everything is pretty expensive (even the brands made here :po: ), pretty much ever 30lb bag of decent kibble is 60-80 bucks :S

I wouldnt add anything because you run the risk of making her fussy and refusing any kibble without stuff added to it.

Ah good point on the fussy bit. I have added stuff in the past, but only as a special treat. Not on a regular basis.
Shutterwolf
Matured Bully

Postby Shutterwolf » Tue May 01, 2012 8:48 pm

Well I'm happy to report that with slightly less food and a little more exercise, shes slowly loosing weight. Got her down by a pound now. The fun part will be trying to find a good balance once i get her down a few pounds so she doesn't gain it all back lol
Shutterwolf
Matured Bully

Previous

Return to Health Issues